2014 Super Tenere - First Impressions

Bike
07 ST1300
Thanks for the review Joe, Friday I pick up my new grey 2013 . I couldn't afford the second gen and the ES wasn't offered for $4000 off . Whats your feelings on lowering the rear of the bike ? I had to put the seat in the lower position and I think my wife is gonna have a hard time . Have you done much two up riding and can you recommend a good backrest ?
. MERRY CHRISTMAS

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Thanks for the review Joe, Friday I pick up my new grey 2013 . I couldn't afford the second gen and the ES wasn't offered for $4000 off . Whats your feelings on lowering the rear of the bike ? I had to put the seat in the lower position and I think my wife is gonna have a hard time . Have you done much two up riding and can you recommend a good backrest ?
. MERRY CHRISTMAS
I have the low seat on my 2013. It's actually more comfortable to me than the stock seat. That could be an option too.
Mike

Bike
07 ST1300
Thanks guys , my first impression of this bike was WHAT A DOG !! But then i glanced at the speedo Thought wow this bike is smooth SNEAKY SMOOTH !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST1300
Mellow, Ive been looking at the new Tiger XCX, but the higher price got me checking out the Super T as well. I found a brand new 2013 for 10,908 OTD. Was there anything really wrong with the 1st gen bikes? Anything that needs to be addressed? What Improvements do you think are "big values" on the 14? I Guess I'm asking your opinion of how much more is the 14 worth over the 13.

Thanks
Respectfully,
Mark

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mellow, Ive been looking at the new Tiger XCX, but the higher price got me checking out the Super T as well. I found a brand new 2013 for 10,908 OTD. Was there anything really wrong with the 1st gen bikes? Anything that needs to be addressed? What Improvements do you think are "big values" on the 14? I Guess I'm asking your opinion of how much more is the 14 worth over the 13.

Thanks
Respectfully,
Mark
Well, the '14s do have cruise control and a new dash/shield along with a different clutch basket and Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) which make the bike start and idle more quiet. Some have reported CCT failures in the pre-14 bikes and many have upgraded to the 14 CCT and Clutch Baskets with nice results.

The new dash is much easier to read in my opinion and customizable, I do wish the decimal position on the dash was smaller somehow more distinguishable from the other numbers, but that's my only gripe, the trip meeting may show 100 when looking at it at a quick glance but it's really 10.0, just about the only nit-picky thing I have with this bike.

The pre-14s are more difficult to scroll through displays as you have to reach over to the dash and on the 14s it's just a switch on the left grip area.

The 14's have hazzard lights and all the turn signals are LED. The tank is bigger but by such a small amount it may only result in an extra 10 miles. The exhaust sounds throatier on the 14 vs the 12 I had but could be because the rest of the bike is quieter in comparison.

The new shield setup gives you a bar for mounting stuff and the shield is more easily adjusted without tools.

The handlebars - for me - were adjusted just the right amount that I didn't need risers on this one but did on the 12.

That's about it... is all that worth 5-6k diff in price? That's up to you. You could get a 13 and upgrade the CCT and Clutch Basket for a few hundred and get close.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thanks Mellow, I really liked the review that you opened this thread with and I appreciate your input! What is the problem with the clutch basket on the first gen bikes? Does the newer CCT just simply bolt in?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks Mellow, I really liked the review that you opened this thread with and I appreciate your input! What is the problem with the clutch basket on the first gen bikes? Does the newer CCT just simply bolt in?
They upgraded the CCT but I honestly don't know the differences, just that it results in a much quieter operation. The clutch basket went from springs to rubber dampeners.

Some are also experimenting with manual CCTs but since they are not Yamaha parts, I wouldn't consider that unless my bike was out of warranty.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
I agree with you sir! :) Especially when seasoned riders discuss 'hot sexy bikes' such as the ST1200 :D . I know if I wait another 2-3 years, I'll get a super nice used farkled ST12 for a reasonable price. I'm waiting.

I absolutely love lurking around here.
This place is like M/C university!

Thanks!

Bike
Super Tenere
I just traded my Tiger Explorer for a 2015 Tenere ES. My Tiger was less than 2 years old with 43K miles but in that time period I had 5 factory recalls, the cruise control went out, gear indicator also went and 2nd & 6th gears needed replaced. Triumph made good on everything and no complaints but the bike was in the shop for over 6 weeks total. Bottom line I lost confidence in the bike.
Just traded 2 weeks ago for the Tenere and have made it through the break in period and (the hard part) the farkling period!
I hope I like this bike as much as my ST's.......time & mileage will tell. -JEP-
16452726212_b1a5d87ebd_m.jpg

Last edited:

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Just my two cents:
I opted for a new 2013 in June of last year at a $3500 discount plus $1200 of factory accessories and an extra year of YES. I wanted to wait for a 2014 but there were none to be had in Arkansas at the time. I also didn't want to be the first to own a new model before the after market had caught up with farkles. I immediately started slapping parts on the bike to make it my own.

Overall, I'm very happy with my decision to go with the '13 model. Cruise control would be nice but that is really all I'm missing. I've fixed the shield with an adjustable mount and put 2" ROX risers on the bars to raise it more than I could a 2014 model. Someday, I will replace the CCT and clutch basket.......probably. The vibes aren't an issue right now.

The things I use from my $1200 of free kit from Yamaha are:
Low seat - much more comfortable than the stock seat. I keep it in the high position unless I'm off-roading. I have a 30" inseam
Touring shield- larger than stock and offers more wind protection
Winglets - makes a huge difference in wind management
PIAA lights - I wouldn't pay what they want for these unless they are free (which they were) but they're ok.
Light mount
Tank bag - sold
K&N air filter - still in box
Bike cover - looks good but it isn't waterproof

Now that the after market has caught up with their farkles, I would get a left over 2014 standard (non-ES). Once I found the right suspension settings I'm very, very happy with the stock suspension and don't see the need to tweak it at all.

Hope this helps. It's a good problem to have.
Mike

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
I have the 2013 and replaced the clutch basket. Pretty easy job. And for me, it made a big difference. I could not ride for more than 30 minutes without my right hand going num. Now no difference then what I had on the ST1300. Not everyone has this issue, but like said earlier, if cruise control is not a big issue, you can save a lot of money with an earlier model, do the clutch and cct, and still be several thousand ahead.

Mark

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
How's the get up and go on these Tenere's vs the St1300? 0-60 any quicker? Not that big a deal, but sure is fun to have.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I'm sure the ST is quicker than the Tenere but don't know the numbers. I can promise you the Tenere does much better off-road than the ST. So, if I get to pick the course to race the Tenere will win every time.
Mike

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, I'm sure the ST is quicker from 0-60... It's probably a tie in the hills as the S10 probably drives into the corners easier but the ST is quicker on the exit..

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
We just picked up two 2014 Teneres, one new and one barely used. The cruise control is very nice and if you plan long days in the saddle I would really consider that. These bike have a little more vibration than our smooth STs. Having the cruise allows me to rest my right hand as often as I wish so the vibration is no issue. We have put a lot of miles on our STs both with and without cruise and for our riding I did not consider a bike without factory cruise.

Performance the ST is superior in outright power and acceleration. That said I think like Joe that the S10 corners better, lighter. Gravel road, no contest as Bug said, the S10 shines there. Wind protection goes to the ST. The Tenere has both a sport mode and a touring mode and I was sure I would like the sport better. I found myself using the touring nearly all the time, just much smoother both on and off the accelerator. This is from just a couple of thousand miles. Looking forward to more.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
How's the get up and go on these Tenere's vs the St1300? 0-60 any quicker? Not that big a deal, but sure is fun to have.
My '12 Tenere is smoked by the quickness of the '07 ST1300 in a pass situation, even when in sport mode. The Tenere won't cruise as well at speeds in excess of 70-75 mph either - gas mileage really takes a bad hit over these speeds. None of this is a problem as the Tenere feels faster in the corners and gives me access to dirt/gravel exploration. It's still the best bike I've ever owned.

Note to Bug: Highway peg plates should be done in another day or two. You have not been forgotten.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Note to Bug: Highway peg plates should be done in another day or two. You have not been forgotten.
Awesome! Thanks Randy.

I have been impressed at how well the bike spools up to pass someone. It is much quicker than I would've thought. A reflash of the ECU would be critical for someone that wanted to unleash the hidden beast that lies inside this bike. I guess I'm getting old because I think the bike performs pretty well.
Mike

Top Bottom