2014 water-coolled RT1200

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Does anybody know when the RT gonna be in the showroom? I really like this bike, I'll take mine with the ESA. and the other electronic package. Gonna skip the top case, hill thing (been ridin long enough where I can keep my ride from rolling backwards on a hill) and clutchless shifting (really?) but the heated seats, grips, optional bigger windscreen, and 1600 electronics are neat.

I really like my 2005 RT, but I against tradin for the upgrade. I mean its only money LOL, and I'm gettin new bike fever. Look, it appears Honda not gonna do anything with the 1300, and just marking time with it, while BMW has consistently upgraded the RT every couple of years. I like how the RT rides with its plush seat, quiet cockpit, and its balance and handling are significantly better than my ST, but the Honda for sure has the better more reliable powerplant.

My RT now has 75k miles on it, but 9 months ago the dreaded fuel leak appeared so not riding it right now till I get that worked out. I hope the CDN recall trickles south soon, but ya just don't know. If I go ahead and fix it, and it does get recalled can I expect a check? I'd be sure to have the dealer document the invoice.

I'm thinkin this ride gonna have all the stuff the GT has except the price tag. But then again, there's something about those 6 cylinders that make me wanna go that route.

Local dealer says new Rt's should be here in March. He said factory hasn't set price yet but he thinks it will be around 23K with most of the goodies on it.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
23k? That's gonna be GT territory, and if that's the case I'm gonna with it, especially with Honda on the sidelines.

Last edited:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
23k? That's gonna be GT territory, and if that's the case I'm gonna with the it, especially with Honda on the sidelines.
GT territory, yes, assuming you can find one that's not optioned to the max. Those are unobtanium in my neck of the woods. My guess is the new RT's will come dripping with options, too.

Dealer here has 6 pre sold. He says he should be able to sell about 40 of them next year. Stripped K16's.... hard to find but can be ordered. Heck Guy you only go around once in life. If your going to be a bear my may as will go fuzzy.:crackup

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
Talked to several people that have ordered the new RT. They do not have a firm price, but they have been given a march build date.

Mark

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
They claim this bike is even more agile than previous RTs, if that is so, it must be one slick ride, cause my 05 is very flickable. What it lacks in all out speed, it makes up in balance, precision, lean factor.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I spent about 3,000 miles on the new GSW last spring in England and Scotland. Felt significantly faster than the ST. Clunky gearbox, smooth clutch take up, ESA was useful but tended to set once and then forget, great brakes, etc. Still put off by the feel of the boxer. I guess it it's an acquired taste.
If I was in the market for a new bike I think I would have to look seriously look at it but since I have only a little more than 100k miles on the ST, it will be a while yet. Maybe by then they will have the new bike gremlins fixed.
Rod

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I really like this bike. Suspension control, fork stabilization (Telelever), heated grips, traction control, ABS, cruse control, 580 watt output, wow. My main drawback would be hooking into the wiring system for electronic charging. I went to the BMW forum and they don't have an accessory wiring harness like the ST where you can easily add accessories like SPOT. They have a bus system much like computers that you can wreak if you tap into it incorrectly. I'd have to have the dealership add some kind of fused harness system for this. Honda's only cost me 49 dollars when I bought my ST. Anyhow there's a lot to like with this bike.

My other choice would be the FJR1200 ES, but it doesn't have a fork stabilization system (this is a good improvement) or as good air management in the cockpit (not a big concern for me). They also don't have an accessory harness.

I'll make up my mind in a year or so. Took me almost two years to decide on the ST. In the meantime the ST is running great.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Easily done...... take your juice right from the battery to an auxiliary fuse panel..... no need to dig into the CAN bus system, but if you read up you can in places without hurting anything.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Can you do that with a relay so devices shut off with the key, or are you limited to a hot fuse panel?
Yes. Or you can tap into the GPS wire in the front of the bike to use as a trigger.
Mike

dr1954

Rick
Bike
=6= F800gs
Can you do that with a relay so devices shut off with the key, or are you limited to a hot fuse panel?
Use one Curt's fuzeblocks. Tap into the taillight wire for trigger. I did it on my k16 and it works and no smoke!:)
Battery tender is wired direct to battery. Works fine.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Are those teeny weeny canbus "wires" or the conventional variety?

dr1954

Rick
Bike
=6= F800gs
Are those teeny weeny canbus "wires" or the conventional variety?
Most of the wires I have seen on mine are very small gauge. I don't understand how the carry the current. Even the one going to the seat heaters are small.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Most of the wires I have seen on mine are very small gauge. I don't understand how the carry the current. Even the one going to the seat heaters are small.
Canbus wiring is very light gauge.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
They probably use the same switch mode power supply used in computers which uses digital pulses instead of steady analog current.

Top Bottom