amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Tuesday June 30th

I was worried today that I would have a long boring ride in the heat across the desert of Nevada. So I awoke early at 5:30 to shower and pack up the KBiK in time to grab breakfast when it opened at 6:00am in the motel in St.George, UT. I was on the road at 6:20 and was worried that it was already 80 deg F with the sun only making long shadows as it rose to the east. However UT 18 took me north and quickly climbed to 6,000 ft and the temperature dropped to a chilly 62 deg F! For the next 6 hours the roads took me up to 7,500 ft as I crossed the north south ridges, and never below 6,000 ft in the broad flat valleys. It was a very pleasant 70-80 deg F, perfect for riding.

In the valleys the roads were impossibly straight and lonely so I set KBiK in cruise at 80 mph to eat up the miles. Turned west on US 50 and saw a sign saying "US 50 - The Loneliest Road in America"! Rode through Eureka, NV and thought I was OK with an indicated range of 120 miles I had enough gas to get to the next town. Finally the town of Austin, NV appeared as I was half way through the last bar on my tank! Descended from the mountains to the salt flats along the original Pony Express Route to Carson City. Temperature climbed to 105 deg F and I started to feel tired and uncomfortable. Very glad to get through Carson City and climb once again up the mountain to South Lake Tahoe in California.

Last edited:
OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Wednesday, June 1st.

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

Today was a rest day as I had booked myself into the motel in South Lake Tahoe for two nights. I took it easy and listened to Pink Floyd while riding the 73 miles around the lake. Pink Floyd's music is still great but what have they done to Lake Tahoe! I was here last 33 years ago in 1982 when Kathy and I spent a few months in Sacramento. I remember the lake as quiet and pristine. Apart from a few State Parks on the California and Nevada sides, every inch appears to have been developed with houses, condos and resorts. The California side is the worst. The road was under construction almost the entire length in California and the traffic was awful. The Nevada side was better as NV 28 and US 50 had no construction. Glad to return to the motel. Half way through my ride with 3, 500 miles in the saddle. KBiK performing perfectly but cannot say the same about the rider.

Last edited:

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Andy, thanks for the pics. Glad your still having a good time. Stay safe and continue enjoying the ride. Was great to ride with you at RockSTOC!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
An old guy with a selfie stick, now that's not something you see every day LOL!!... great pics and great ride as usual.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Left Lake Tahoe after breakfast and headed up through the Sierra Mountains on CA 89. The forecast was triple digit temperatures for Reno in the west and for the Sacramento valley to the east. In the mountains it started at 68 deg F and slowly warmed to 80 deg F. The air was thick with the smell of pine as I rode through endless Pine and Redwood Forests. 55 mph speed limit was more controlled by the twisty road though I did see quite a number of CPS vehicles. Rode up and through Lassen Volcanic National Park. Great twisty road that climbs with awesome switchbacks up to 8,500 ft. It is a hundred years ago this year since Mt Lassen erupted sending ash 200 miles to the east. I rode down through Hat Creek where the mountain sides are still bare from the pyroclastic flows that occurred a hundred years ago. Continued north on CA 89 and as I descended it became warmer, eventually going up to 105 deg F. Rode around the magnificent snow covered Mt Shasta that stands alone in the northern Sierras, rising up 14,179 ft. Eventually made it into Oregon, my 8th state on this trip, and to Klamath Falls for the night.

Halfway through my trip and yet still further to go from Texas. KBiK says I have gone over 4,000 miles on this ride and yes, the 6,000 mile service is due. But I am going to ignore all that and just enjoy myself and ride!

Riding up CA 89 to Mt Lassen

I hate construction work but I also know it is necessary!

The old guy with the selfie stick again..

Lassen Volcanic National Park. Great riding and great scenery!

Mt Shasta

Last edited:
OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Up early at 5:00am today as I wanted to catch the early morning light on Crater Lake but I also had a long 550 mile ride up to Clarkston in Washington state. Crater Lake National Park did not disappoint! The first surprise was soon after turning on to the east rim drive, a large brown bear ran across the road 50 yards in front of me. No sure but I think it was a Grizzly so I did not hang about to check. It was 7:30 am when I saw my first view of Crater Lake from Phantom Point. The light was still low and the reflections were perfect in the lake. However in the trees, the mosquitos were horrendous so I moved on to a more open overlook. Majestic views of the lake and the crater walls to the west. 53 deg F at just under 9,000 ft. The road around the east rim was good except for a couple of sections of gravel that unnerved me on the big KBiK. Almost no traffic that early in the morning.

From Crater Lake I headed north on OR 97 doing a really bad job of keeping to the 55 mph speed limit! I was now in the Cascades so the snow capped volcanoes of Mt Batchelor, Mt Jefferson, Mt Hood, and Mt Saint Helens floated on the my horizon to the west and north. I joined I-84 on the south side of the Columbia River Gorge at Biggs Junction. Turning east I followed Lewis and Clark's trail up the river to arrive in Clarkston, WA as the temperature rose to 107 deg F. Glad to check in to the motel and cool off. Rst day tomorrow to celebrate the 4th July Independence Day holiday.

Riding north from Klamath Falls as the sun comes up over the mountains

Phantom Ship in Crater Lake from the East Rim Road

Reflections in Crater lake

Columbia River Gorge

107 Deg F but only 6 miles to the motel

I have gone as far west as I shall on this trip. Just a bit further north in Montana and then I shall start heading south to home.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
I just stumbled across the blog. Great trip & pics. Not sure if it is too late for suggestions but Hwy 3 between Joseph,Or and Lewiston, ID is "The Rattlesnake". Great ride and good little burger joint as you cross the Grand Rounde River. The only thing there, you won't miss it.

The " perfect" Best Western is on hwy 12( Lolo Pass) in Orofino IDAHO.

Hwy 200 in Montana is a nice relaxing and scenic ride between Coeur d'Alene Idaho and Thompson Falls Montana. You can make good time!

Thanks for the pics. Travel safe.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I commend you on the way you have solved the loose axle nut problem. Thanks so much for the pictures Andy! Ride safe and enjoy!

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I just stumbled across the blog. Great trip & pics. Not sure if it is too late for suggestions but Hwy 3 between Joseph,Or and Lewiston, ID is "The Rattlesnake". Great ride and good little burger joint as you cross the Grand Rounde River. The only thing there, you won't miss it.

The " perfect" Best Western is on hwy 12( Lolo Pass) in Orofino IDAHO.

Hwy 200 in Montana is a nice relaxing and scenic ride between Coeur d'Alene Idaho and Thompson Falls Montana. You can make good time!

Thanks for the pics. Travel safe.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice! I am already in Clarkston-Lewiston. This is a rest day and I had originally planned to go down WA 129 / OR 3 past the Grand Rounde River, but it is too hot. The forecast is for 105 degF in Clarkston today! Most eateries are also closed for the 4th.

I plan to do the Lolo pass tomorrow early and then hit the slab from Missoula to Billings.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Another batch of great pics Andy. Just love ridin along with you. Only wish I were there!! Glad you were able to ride around the east side. As I told you at RockSTOC, we were only able to do the west side-east side snowed in. Keep 'em coming and be safe out there.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I commend you on the way you have solved the loose axle nut problem. Thanks so much for the pictures Andy! Ride safe and enjoy!
Thanks for reminding me of that little problem Coop! Yes I solved it as the KBiK does not have a rear axle as with a single swing arm, the rear wheel is attached with lug bolts just like every car.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
July 4th - Happy Independence Day to all my family and friends in the USA.

Rest day for me and the KBiK.

Washed all of yesterdays' bugs and also the bits of the bunny I hit in Texas off the KBiK thanks to the motorcycle wash-station hose provided by the motel. Walked around Clarkston and Lewiston in the morning but spent most of the afternoon in the motel room as it went up to 111 deg F in Clarkston!

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
July 5th.

Worried again about the heat today as it was 111 deg F in Clarkston yesterday. So I was up at 5:00am and on the road by 5:30am. It took me three and a half hours to ride US 12 up to the summit of Lolo pass. Great road but riding it west to east early in the morning was tough as the sun was in my eyes totally blacking out the road. Took it easy and carefully. Light improved as the sun rose and the road turned more northwards. Took the obligatory photo at the "100 miles of Winding Road" sign and at the summit.

Should not have worried about the heat as although it was 79 in Clarkston when I left, it stayed in the 60s all the way up to the summit of Lolo Pass. From Missoula I was on the I-90 slab the 300 miles to Billings where I am spending the night. For much of the way it was in the low 60s so I felt cold with the KBiK in cruise at 80 mph. Will wear some extra layers tomorrow as I ride over the Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway.

Last edited:

lectron

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300
great to follow your trip. You are doing it in reverse order than what me and my friends did last fall. We went north from Ogden Utah north thru Idaho, washington, Oregon, N Ca. Reno/Taho, hwy 50 back to Utah. Great scenery.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
July 6th: Checked the weather when I got up this morning. Looked like I would be lucky to see highs of 75 deg F and it would be a lot colder high in the mountains. Added a warm layer and a long sleeve shirt under my Aerostich riding suit. It was 63 deg F when I left Billings but it cooled off quickly as I started up the Beartooth Pass south of Red Lodge. Low broken cloud cover made for a different ride up the amazing long switchbacks. Eventually I was in the cloud and it cooled to 51 deg F so I turned on KBiKs heated grips and seat. Followed a couple of vehicles as the visibility became worse and worse. But then we burst out above the cloud and so I quickly went around the slow vehicles so I could enjoy the long sweepers on the Montana side of the summit of Beartooth Pass.

The broken cloud made the mountains even more spectacular. Stopped at the summit for pictures and then descended down into Wyoming. Fantastic views and fields full of wild flowers. Came up to a group of vehicles stopped with everyone out with their cameras. Just 100 yards from the road up the slope were two Grizzly Bears foraging in the wild flowers for berries. They largely ignored the spectators and just kept the heads down grazing. Managed to take a few shots of their heads when they came up for air.

Turned left of US 212 onto WY 296 which is the spectacular Chief Joseph Highway. Great long sweepers through the awesome Clark's Fork area before the long switchbacks to the summit. The last section was under construction so followed a pilot car and a group of BMW GS 1200 adventure bikes.

Crossed over the Bighorn basin and then took US 14A up onto the mountain to stay at Bear Lodge. At 8,800ft, this is the highest point where I shall stay during my trip.

Tomorrow I'll arrive in Spearfish, South Dakota for the ST-Owners NatSTOC event.

Beartouth Pass:

Grizzly Bears

Chief Joseph Highway

Riding up the Big Horn

Last edited:
OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Time-lapse video of riding over Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway.

[video=youtube_share;rk956y2JSJU]http://youtu.be/rk956y2JSJU[/video]

Shot with a Drift HD Ghost camera attached to my helmet taking an image every two seconds.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
July 7th: Packed up this morning and pulled around the front of Bear Lodge to return my key and found Tim and Diana from Calgary packing up to leave! They arrived after I did last night but we completely missed each other. Set off together down 14 and into Shell Canyon as it descends off the Bighorn mountains. I soon realized that there was no point in trying to keep up with Tim and Diana. Large bull Moose danced across the road for us but was too quick for me to take out the camera. We had a breakfast at Dirty Annie's in Shell and the rode down to Tensleep to ride back up and over the Bighorn mountains to Boulder. A great morning of riding.

From Boulder we took I-95 the 160 miles towards Spearfish. Decided to divert past the Devil's Tower and then to Hulet for a nice diversion from the slab. Arrived at the campsite in Spearfish around 2:30pm. About a dozen riders have arrived for the NatSTOC event by this evening. First rain of the trip this evening in Spearfish.

Tensleep Canyon

The slab:

Devil's Tower

Last edited:
OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Today was a rest day. Still took a brief ride up Spearfish Canyon to have breakfast at Cheyenne Crossing. Followed Tim and Joe up the canyon. Had an interesting discussion over the issue of passing on a double yellow. Enough said!

Busted!

Busted!

Busted!

NatSTOC got into full swing as more riders arrived.

All my NatSTOC pictures will be posted here

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
July 9th: Breakfast again at Cheyenne Crossing at the top end of Spearfish Canyon. Riding with Tim and Diana, we took 385 from Lead and then the Nemo road into Rapid City. From there we rode the 60 miles west through the Badlands National Park to the Minuteman Missile National Park.

I find it very interesting that the National Park Service has taken responsibility for restoring, preserving and communicating such a recent but interesting part of our history. This corner of South Dakota was ground zero for the Minuteman Missile silos. I wonder if the residents of Rapid City appreciated how many Russian Satan missiles were targeted at them!

After visiting the new Minuteman Missile National Park headquarters, we rode the scenic loop through the Badlands National Park. We then visited the D-9 Minuteman Missile silo just off I-90. The blast door is partially retracted so you can stare down at the Minuteman Missile. Even though we are assured it is unarmed, it was a sharp reminder of our MAD history that I hope we never have to relive.

Badlands National Park

Minuteman Missile National Park

Minuteman Missile Sile D-9

Top Bottom