2016 FJR1300 is Updated!

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Pretty nice, gotta hand it to Yamaha for keeping the old horse updated... let's hope Honda sees the ball in their court?

The cornering LEDs are a cool concept, I hope they actually work well.
My 07 had holes drilled in the front fairing for the police bars. I'm thinking about building a set of cornering lights to fill these holes.....

OP
OP
BakerBoy

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Hey I just caught this on another forum showing the adaptive headlight in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtBCrJUDoiU&app=desktop"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtBCrJUDoiU&app=desktop
What I noticed (in order) is: a smooth engine, an unrefind loud klunk into 1st gear, and great lighting!

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
The beauty of the current FJR's is that the 5 speed is perfect, taller 1st & 2nd not desired, and that 6th may not be the best for fuel mileage unless you are a slab rider. However, I'll give one a test ride to see....... The adaptive LED's are only on the ES model and are as dduelin describes, i.e., no moving parts.
I'm not an FJR owner and only have one test ride under my belt, but what's "perfect" about the current 5th gear on the FJR? When I test rode an FJR this spring for about 90 minutes I rode in all kinds of conditions, including freeway. I had even more of a sense of wanting a 6th gear on the FJR than I get on my ST1300?? It just didn't feel right to me. Don't know if it was engine noise or a buzzy feeling, but it just felt wrong for cruising down the freeway. I understand what you might be saying about the taller 1st and 2nd gears being an issue, but what's wrong with a taller/over-drive 6th being added?

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
My ST's are high mileage, '

Cause you won't spend any money.
If I had your money, I'd burn mine. :D I'm just a working slob, you're the double dipper. How long 'til the triple dipping starts?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Hey I just caught this on another forum showing the adaptive headlight in motion.
How is the light moving?... the bike is stationary and not leaning when the light is moving. I thought the LEDS came on progressively as the bank angle increased?

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I wonder how he controlled the adaptive headlight like that? It doesn't move like that unless you're leaning the bike.

Of course, the video also shows a non-standard item on his bike which is called the "digital dash". That is CBDane's invention. Must be him manipulating it somehow.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
He describes in one of the threads he pulled the adaptive headlight module lose and is leaning it with his hands. Right in front of the battery, black box the size of a bar of soap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
STOC #
depressed to see the same wheels,,,same frame,,,same engine,,,same mufflers...same bags,,,,same gas tank...same looks.,, same old same old !
can we please have a "New" FJR ?
Same old. Really? The 2016 FJR ES has more changes/updates from 2015 than the ST1300 got in its entire production run. That's why I got tired of waiting for Honda and bought a 2014 FJR ES in Jan '14. 41k fun and trouble-free miles so far. This thing rocks!

Norm Kern

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Shoot you can't hide money Big Ron, I mean you try, but don't do a good job of it.

"you're the double dipper. How long 'til the triple dipping starts?"

19 months?? LOL.

Man I feel a Key West trip coming on. You in? Late Jan?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'm not an FJR owner and only have one test ride under my belt, but what's "perfect" about the current 5th gear on the FJR? When I test rode an FJR this spring for about 90 minutes I rode in all kinds of conditions, including freeway. I had even more of a sense of wanting a 6th gear on the FJR than I get on my ST1300?? It just didn't feel right to me. Don't know if it was engine noise or a buzzy feeling, but it just felt wrong for cruising down the freeway. I understand what you might be saying about the taller 1st and 2nd gears being an issue, but what's wrong with a taller/over-drive 6th being added?
I wasn't really commenting on 5 th gear itself, but the FJR 5 speed is the best spaced ratios I've ever come across. Works in all conditions in conjunction with the extra horsepower, you really need to ride under all conditions over time. There are those who would like a taller top gear to lower the rpm's on freeways, but honestly, you don't need it unless you are cruising at 80 or more all day long. I'm not usually on freeways for too long. Part of this engine noise or buzzy is simply there is a big difference between an inline four and a V-4. Just accept that most inlines will be buzzier at 4000 rpm. Anyway, I have never felt the need for a taller 5th gear (and sometimes I actually get better fuel mileage in certain conditions in 4th). If a taller top gear makes the engine work harder, then fuel mileage is likely to suffer, but Yamaha says fuel mileage isn't changing.

The FJR's 2006-up got taller 1st & 2nd gears from prior, which aren't bad, but I was disappointed to see they even made them taller for 2016. 3rd stayed the same and they just narrowed all the gears around 3rd, then added 6th as a bit taller overdrive over the current 5th. Of course, none of us has ridden one, and we don't know that 6th appreciably changes top gear rpms... if it only changes is a couple of hundred, then OK, but for all other riding, it is expected one is going to be doing more gear changes than with the 5 speed. Obviously, I am in the camp of 'we didn't need no stinkin' 6 speed' but I'll keep an open mind until the final data on ratios is in and hopefully a good test ride. Still going to be a great bike.

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I can't help thinking Yamaha plans to use that inertial sensing system for more than just the cornering lights. Perhaps, if not for the 2016 model (and not yet announced), in future model years it will be integrated into the ABS/TCS systems similar to what KTM and BMW are doing with their cornering ABS systems.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I made the jump in 2014. Yamaha has continuously updated the FJR with feedback from those that ride it. I think the extra gear is big.

The FJR is a fine motorcycle, modern and stylish and for a great price. In my view the sport touring bikes come down to the 2 BMWs (Rt and GT) and the FJR. Honda is so far behind not even in the mirrors of these bikes.

Look, I try not to ride at night (deer) and if I do, I won't be leaning so hard as to need a gyro headlight LOL. So I prolly not need the fancy headlight. All I can tell ya'll is I love my FJR it is waaaaaaay fast.
Guy, did you ever fix that bike that was filling up your boots with gas?

STOC #
I can't help thinking Yamaha plans to use that inertial sensing system for more than just the cornering lights. Perhaps, if not for the 2016 model (and not yet announced), in future model years it will be integrated into the ABS/TCS systems similar to what KTM and BMW are doing with their cornering ABS systems.[ /QUOTE]

I like the approach used for the directional headlamp feature- an angle sensor module that provides input for a solid state module that switches the six LEDs. There are no moviing parts or servo motors. This should be more reliable than the electro-mechanical approach
the BMW light module uses.

The Bosch cornering ABS/TCS system being used by KTM, BMW and a few others contains both angle sensors and accelerometers. These sensors are part of the ABS module itself, from what I've been able to find out about the system. It's the next big feature I'm waiting on for the FJR, and about the only thing that I would trade my '14 FJR ES model for. Am guessing that will become available on the '17 or '18 model.

What a great time to be riding motorcycles!

Norm Kern

OP
OP
BakerBoy

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
IMO, the item missing on this bike: TPMS. Who hasn't had a tire go down without knowing it until the bike acts erratically?? Of course TPMS aftermarket systems exist (like I use on my ST), but TPMS should be standard/integrated by now. My two cents.

Norm, I think the same as you: we're only seeing the start of the use of IMU's/sensors in motorcycles, and more specifically I expect these cornering lights are simply the first application of a new IMU or angle sensor in the FJR. I would also assume that there likely is more functionality planned for future model years, and also that there's perhaps a black box onboard this 2016 which records/stores such data for crash investigations.

STOC #
IMO, the item missing on this bike: TPMS. Who hasn't had a tire go down without knowing it until the bike acts erratically?? Of course TPMS aftermarket systems exist (like I use on my ST), but TPMS should be standard/integrated by now. My two cents.

Norm, I think the same as you: we're only seeing the start of the use of IMU's/sensors in motorcycles, and more specifically I expect these cornering lights are simply the first application of a new IMU or angle sensor in the FJR. I would also assume that there likely is more functionality planned for future model years, and also that there's perhaps a black box onboard this 2016 which records/stores such data for crash investigations.
Good thoughts, all. The other thing it still needs is self-cancelling turn signals. Intriguing thought about the black box! Wonder if there is one...

Norm Kern

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
With TPMS, perhaps one should be careful what you wish for...... it would likely be similar to an OEM automotive system..... or from my bit of research into the C14 system (C14 owners maybe can chime in).... the sensors in general contain non-replaceable batteries, thus in about 5 years, you go to your dealer to buy new sensors and have them programmed to the bike (you can't do this yourself). Partzilla lists sensors at U$180+ each. There was an older version on C14's that did not have potted sensors and there have been successful DIY replacements of the batteries on those.
A little math tells me if sensors replaced, $360+labour is way more than a good aftermarket system will ever cost you. For example, Garmin has one in a couple of their newer GPS's, basically sensors are $140 and have replaceable batteries.....

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Good thoughts, all. The other thing it still needs is self-cancelling turn signals. Intriguing thought about the black box! Wonder if there is one...

Norm Kern
One of the features I absolutely love about my Triumphs Explorer and Trophy is that you can program your turn signals in the Set-Up menu for either Manual, or Self-Canceling. I hate self-canceling signals, but I know there's a whole other camp that loves them. I think all full-sized/luxury bikes these days should give you the option.

:)

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
With TPMS, perhaps one should be careful what you wish for...... it would likely be similar to an OEM automotive system..... or from my bit of research into the C14 system (C14 owners maybe can chime in).... the sensors in general contain non-replaceable batteries, thus in about 5 years, you go to your dealer to buy new sensors and have them programmed to the bike (you can't do this yourself). Partzilla lists sensors at U$180+ each. There was an older version on C14's that did not have potted sensors and there have been successful DIY replacements of the batteries on those.
A little math tells me if sensors replaced, $360+labour is way more than a good aftermarket system will ever cost you. For example, Garmin has one in a couple of their newer GPS's, basically sensors are $140 and have replaceable batteries.....
I have a SmarTyre TPMS system on my ST1300. I prefer it to just about every other system as it compensates for temp change and won't alarm unless Pv=nRT tells the system there is an actual loss, or gain, in pressure. It also reports tire temps. My sensors have worked for nearly 10 years. I got a few spares before they stopped making them just in case.

Top Bottom