Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
:)

I'm really happy for you Ken and Gary. Great safe rides both! 8th place for Ken . . . awesome! Gary's a finisher and there were a lot of starters who didn't make it.

After you both get back home and are rested settle down with a glass of beer/wine whatever you like and read the daily reports and blogs written while you were gobbling up the miles, while your memories are fresh. It's Part 2 of the iBR enjoying your experience again as you read what others wrote while you rode.

I look forward to both your next posts with your new, well deserved, 3 digit IBA numbers!

Shuey

Last edited:

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Looks like Raven came in 77th, with 69405 points from only 6183 miles. The lowest mileage of all finishers. Unfortunately, efficiency isn't a criteria for the IBR.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Congratulation to all the IBR participants, regardless of finish! Just starting this amazing human trial speaks volumes.

Great work by Ken! Highest finishing rookie!

32nd place finish for Robert Koeber on a '96 ST1100! And ST1300s under Bob Bowman (22nd), Alan Hatcher, (37th) Gary Springgay, Danny Dossman (68th), 2 up Peter Ihlo/Connie Schneiter (72nd) and Maura Gatensby (74th) with no ST DNFs. These machines continue to show their strengths.

Now to check out the bonus locations and try to wrap my head around how anyone can come up with a route to string these things together.... just amazing!

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
Shuey

I couldn't have said it better!!! Welcome to the club boys.. and of course CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

:)

I'm really happy for you Ken and Gary. Great safe rides both! 8th place for Ken . . . awesome! Gary's a finisher and there were a lot of starters who didn't make it.

After you both get back home and are rested settle down with a glass of beer/wine whatever you like and read the daily reports and blogs written while you were gobbling up the miles, while your memories are fresh. It's Part 2 of the iBR enjoying your experience again as you read what others wrote while you rode.

I look forward to both your next posts with your new, well deserved, 3 digit IBA numbers!

Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just a quick note on how awesome Jim Owen's ride was . . .

He gave up 6,700 points due to a transposition error in filling out his score claim sheet;
he gave up another 2,000 points when he arrived at the finish in the penalty window;
he missed another 2,000 points when he failed to make a daily call-in bonus,
that's 10,700 points lost AND

still finished 3,958 points ahead of the 2nd place finisher!

Shuey

Last edited:

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I'm looking at the final standings. Looking at the gold medalists, first 22 riders. Of 22 riders 14 were riding BMW, 4 Honda, 3 Yamaha, 1 Kawasaki. BMW was REALLY dominating. Coincidence? Or BMW is becoming "the best tool" for long rides?

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I'm looking at the final standings. Looking at the gold medalists, first 22 riders. Of 22 riders 14 were riding BMW, 4 Honda, 3 Yamaha, 1 Kawasaki. BMW was REALLY dominating. Coincidence? Or BMW is becoming "the best tool" for long rides?
At this level I think it is mostly the rider and not the bike that you're riding...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
At this level I think it is mostly the rider and not the bike that you're riding...
Have to agree with that. Half of this year's top 20 are GSes, and those also happen to be the "in" thing these days. Go back a decade and the dominant model was the FJR.

--Mark

I agree to disagree.....it takes both. It takes a good bike and a rider who can do the miles and be a good planner. The winner Jim Owens has been the best for the last 8 years on a BMW R12RT

Bike
2010 ST1300
We also need to look at the relative breakdown (and percentages) of the various brands of bikes that started. How about Dylan's performance on a 40 year old Goldwing? Both the rider and the bike came through. The fact that Honda is not supporting (and updating) the ST any more probably has a lot to do with rider's choosing their mount. I find it interesting that the myriad problems with Beemers has not (apparently) deterred guys from buying them.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
We also need to look at the relative breakdown (and percentages) of the various brands of bikes that started. How about Dylan's performance on a 40 year old Goldwing? Both the rider and the bike came through. The fact that Honda is not supporting (and updating) the ST any more probably has a lot to do with rider's choosing their mount. I find it interesting that the myriad problems with Beemers has not (apparently) deterred guys from buying them.
That's probably because the "myriad problems" are over-hyped on internet forums, especially Honda internet forums. I think Honda has had it's fair share of recalls lately including VFR1200 final drives and the beloved quirky NC 700 has had a few. If you look at the home page of this forum you will see many more posts dealing problems of the aged ST than in the past. Some days, I'd say that it dominates the headlines of new posts. I know this analysis is anecdotal at best since I haven't applied any statistical analysis to my hypothesis. The same anecdotal evidence that is applied to statements such as BMWs having a myriad of problems. NO bike is perfect and they each have their quirks and issues........nothing new.

At least BMW, like Yamaha, are updating their models with frequency. Wonder why many members of this forum have moved on to other mounts and have left the ST's tired, outdated, overweight and featureless body? It's fun to go to STOC events and see if any STs will actually show up. Yes, I'm bashing the ST a little bit as well as the Honda faithful that believe that their bikes are still the most reliable on the planet without fault. I'm not loyal to ANY one brand, I like what I like. Everyone talks about the BMW owners drinking the Kool-Aid.......you tell me, how does that Honda Kool-Aid taste..........like something that is about 14 years old?

Also, I'm with Booger......you can be the best cowboy at the rodeo but without a good horse you ain't ****.
Mike

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wanted to applaud the finish of Rob Jaime who rode a DCT Honda NC700X. Rob has competed and finished twice now on the bike. Humble to a fault about the only thing Rob mentioned about this years effort was noting that the bike gathered a lot of attention at stops. Compared to many entries specifically set up to rally it is basic and simple and it has has virtually no farkles other than an auxiliary fuel tank.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, the bikes don't ride on their own so I would say it's 100% rider.. IMO

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Finally home and had a good nights sleep. WOW, what an amazing experience!! I can not believe the amount of support that I had over the last 2 weeks. To say I was "Feeling the Love" would be a huge understatement. Thank you all so much for the kind words, well wishes, calls, texts, offers to help etc.

In hindsight, there isn't much I would do differently. I knew going to Newfoundland in the last leg is where the big points would be, but I also felt there was significant risk of a DNF if things didn't work out perfectly. DNF wasn't an option after all the time, money and effort I put into this rally. The whole time I was riding the 3rd leg (5+ days) I was second guessing my decision to head East. There were a ton of points to be had in the Northwest, but something lured me to go East (my comfort zone?). I had heard some people who rode West had 70K point routes created if they were able to ride them. I had no idea how many points I could get in the East because I had no idea where I was going...LOL. I left Allen, Tx with a tenative plan for the first 2 days. After that, I would have to pull out my laptop over a coffee and see what the rest of the rally would bring. I was doing pretty well with hitting the big point bonuses at the right time where they would be multiplied 4X per the leg-3 point rules. In the end, I rode an almost 79K point 3rd leg which took me from 15th to 8th in the standings. Arriving back at the host hotel in Minneapolis to my wife holding a "welcome back" sign and handing me a cold beer was absolutely priceless. My mom and dad were also on hand which really made it special. I guess its back to reality now as so much of my life has been put on hold for this event. House projects await. Thanks again for all the support.

Top Bottom