2017 Road King Review

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Starting a new review for my 2017 Road King (my Softail Classic review is closed). To begin, there have been big changes to the HD touring line in 2017 and softails in 2018. I cannot speak to the softails but I will gladly review my relatively new Road King. I'd have to say if there was anything you didn't like about HD's before (other than the dealers) it's probably changed for the better. Some of these changes are overdue but better late than never.

Previous type complaints:
HDs run too hot - the Road King has oil cooled heads and it has an oil cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan. The M8 also idles at a lower speed (850 rpm) thus burning less gas and generating less heat. The catalytic converter and pipes have been relocated to keep heat away from rider and passenger. It's the coolest bike I've ever owned (pun not intended, really) and yes I rode an ST 1300 and many other bikes for a while.
Engine performance - now 4 valves per cylinder, oil/liquid cooled for more consistent performance and you get 111 foot pounds of torque right out of idle and through the whole rpm range. It's not a sport bike but it'll loosen your arm sockets.
Poor suspension - Showa provided an all new setup that improves performance and comfort. No more leaky air shocks. Remotely adjustable preload that can be set higher than before for extra-hefty passengers plus gear. It's confidence inspiring in corners.
They vibrate - the Road King engine is both counter balanced and rubber mounted. It is the smoothest, least vibe-y engine I have ever rode. The smoothness of the engine greatly improves comfort and ride-ability. Even on the stock seat, sitting on this thing for hours is no problem. No bad vibes period.
Mechanical noises - these have been all but eliminated to allow for a new rocking exhaust sound (sorry to those that loved the potato but I love this new sound).

Other cool things:
Valve adjustments required... never
Better gas mileage to boot (45 mpg for me).
A lot more electric power for accessories.
A gear indicator (sorry ST).
Standard cruise control (again sorry).
The stock windscreen is amazingly perfect for my 6'1" frame but my favorite part is it can be easily detached.

So far I haven't found a thing I don't like about it. I might keep this one for a while...

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Hopefully I'm not getting anything technically wrong here but the header is the part where the engine cylinder meets up with the exhaust pipe. .....
The header is the exhaust pipe nearest the engine, it's the head near the exhaust valves that is liquid cooled; in this case by oil.

"Power brings heat, and Harley’s met this problem head on. All Milwaukee-Eight engines will in some way be liquid cooled. The larger touring models (Road Glide Ultra, Electra Glide Ultra, Tri Glide trike) will keep versions of the Twin Cooled liquid-cooling system introduced on the Rushmore update three years ago. The rest will have dedicated oil passages in the head near the exhaust valves to put some of that thermal stress into the oil"

The blue passages are where oil circulates in the new Milwaukee-Eight head. All versions of this engine are technically liquid cooled; some with coolant and some, such as the Road King, with oil.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/harleys-all-new-milwaukee-eight-big-twin#page-5

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Nice review. I've owned two Road Kings, 2003 and 2008. Both have been great bikes.
I won't suggest taking a test ride then unless you have plenty of self control (more than me) or... money.

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Good write up. Sounds like HD is getting their act together.
Thank you. I think competition works (thanks Victory/Indian).
PS. Just noticing that is an impressive number of tip overs (27) is that correct?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Great review. I look forward to a later follow-up maybe six months and one year?

My 'Wing buddy spent over 20yrs out of 44 on H-D enforcement motors and grew to respect them as the improved over time and owned a couple of civilian versions. He's currently considering getting another.

Unfortunately constant improvement isn't enough to offset the tiresome knee-jerk bias against H-Ds but that says more about detractors than the bike.

I wouldn't mind owning the bigger Sportster as I've always like the iconic look of an H-D. All I need is physical space and cubic dollars.

Bike
20 Tracer GT
H-D makes a quality product. But you are right about the dealers. That is enough to keep me from ever going back.

TPadden

Tom Padden
H-D makes a quality product. But you are right about the dealers. That is enough to keep me from ever going back.
Yep, anytime I even think about a HD my wife says NO, and she says: "get it if you want it" to any other bike!!! :(

We've been rudely treated by every dealer/ service manager/ salesman on both coasts and in the middle, we've visited since the 90's. Last time I wanted to look at a XR1000/1200 I was told in no uncertain terms that I didn't want that I really wanted a Midnight VRod. The salesman even brought out a manager to tell me I didn't know what I wanted and should look at the VRod. After being dragged over to the VRod 3 times my wife just said we really wanted a donut and cup of coffee, which we got. She really won't let me have any HD, and I still wouldn't mind getting an XR. :D

Don't even get me started about trying to buy a Buell from HD .........

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My 2017 RGS has the oil cooler, but no fan comes stock, it is a HD add on, at least for my bike. I don't know why HD does not put a guard over the oil cooler as it is such a vulnerable place from road debris. I made a guard to go over it. Learned the hard way from when my ST was disabled with a punctured radiator.

FWIW, my 2017 M8 bike is head and shoulders above my 2015 Twin Cam bike, especially in terms of engine and suspension.

Bike
2005 ST1300
That's an interesting write up on the 2017 RK, I've been wanting to try a newer RK since I got my '02 RK. I bought an HD RK Shriner (Firefighter Edition) a couple of months back. I wasn't really in the market for one but i had been looking out for an older one that i could work on as a project in my spare time. This one turned up at the local HD dealer in San Marcos, CA (Biggs). It was in pristine shape with many upgrades and add ons and with 67K miles on it. I got it for the money i was willing to put down on a project bike.
I have to say i really enjoy riding it, it's an event for sure not just a ride! It vibrates at idle but is super smooth when moving, noisy, has a Mustang seat and i added upgraded LED headlight and driving lamps which made a HUGE difference at night. It does put out a lot of heat though when at a light. It even has self-cancelling turn signals unlike my ST1300! I get asked all the time if i'm a Firefighter because of the bike, usually by current or former Firefighters who see the insignia on the bike. It's a huge conversation piece...and no i am not nor have i ever been a firefighter but i respect everyone of them who is and for the job they do.

This bike has turned me into a Harley fan, i get the attraction to them now and i would really like to test ride a new 2017/2018 RK to see the improvements. I have ridden a Road Glide with the M8 motor and would agree with the OP that it will pull your arms from the sockets. I just don't think i'm that interested in the Road Glide though, perhaps a Streetglide or as stated a Road King.

Also i would state that Biggs Harley Davidson in San Marcos has never been anything but friendly, polite and professional. Never once in the many times that i have been there did they make me feel like i shouldn't be there even when i turned up on my metric cruiser or ST1300! Other HD dealers not so friendly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
My 2017 RGS has the oil cooler, but no fan comes stock, it is a HD add on, at least for my bike.
Yep available as an add on, it didn't cost much though and was super easy to install when I was changing the break in oil.

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
While the odds of finding a great HD dealer right next to you are probably daunting, they can be found as I would not have given my money to jerks. All I can say is shop around. My dealer gives free loaners for more than half a days work or sometimes if you just ask nice. They take great care of your bike, they love motorcycles not just HDs and are good folks to just talk with. Now on with the search and may the odds be ever in your favor ;).

Bike
'06 ST1300A
the Road King engine is both counter balanced and rubber mounted. It is the smoothest, least vibe-y engine I have ever rode.

Gotta be straight with ya here, I find this hard to believe. The smoothest m/c engines (as opposed to 'lectric motors) are reputed to be BMW's Inline-6 (K1600) and Honda's flat 6 (GL1800, i.e. Goldwing), followed by the V-4 of the ST1300. Can H-D mellow out the vibes on their big twins? Sure. Smoother than the above 3? Color me skeptical. Smooth enough? Yeah, no doubt.

Glad to hear that H-D has continued to improve their bikes, and that you're enjoying it. I rode a mid 2Ks Electra-Glide from Las Vegas to Amarillo. Enjoyed it, LOVED the seat, but I was quite happy to get back onto my ST1300 :04biker: upon my return to Vegas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
the Road King engine is both counter balanced and rubber mounted. It is the smoothest, least vibe-y engine I have ever rode.

Gotta be straight with ya here, I find this hard to believe. The smoothest m/c engines (as opposed to 'lectric motors) are reputed to be BMW's Inline-6 (K1600) and Honda's flat 6 (GL1800, i.e. Goldwing), followed by the V-4 of the ST1300. Can H-D mellow out the vibes on their big twins? Sure. Smoother than the above 3? Color me skeptical. Smooth enough? Yeah, no doubt.
The bikes you mentioned have well balanced engines but with the engine as a stressed member solidly mounted to the frame. This puts high frequency vibes into the frame, seat and everything. These vibes seem very slight at first but over time can cause butt burn that squirmy uncomfortable feeling and other fatigue. All my previous bikes (ST included) have had this to some degree. I would blame the seats from time to time but new different seats never really solved the problem. The rubber mounting is what really isolates the vibes from the rest of the bike. That together with counter balancing just works brilliantly. 2017 and on HD touring bikes are much much more comfortable that the previous touring bikes which were still comfortable. It's a difference that needs to be felt to be believed (maybe rent one for a day trip).

Last edited:
Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
My friend bought a new Road King this past fall and loves it. It has a smoother rumble note and he says it is butter smooth ride. One of the most beautiful OEM paint jobs I've seen as well. Definitely not a sport touring machine but he can keep up just fine.

CTX-HD.jpg

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
My friend bought a new Road King this past fall and loves it. It has a smoother rumble note and he says it is butter smooth ride. One of the most beautiful OEM paint jobs I've seen as well. Definitely not a sport touring machine but he can keep up just fine.

CTX-HD.jpg
Very nice looking bikes.

Top Bottom