2017 Road King Review

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
A little over a year and 12K miles later. I put on a taller seat (+2 in) and taller windscreen (+2.5 in). I switched back to original setup a couple of times to make sure it was a good investment and concluded that the bike was fine either way but the extra leg room was appreciated by my 32 inch inseam and maybe the airflow was a little better. I put on new (but same) tires. It probably didn't need them yet but I didn't feel like waiting till it did. The bike still runs great, no problems (there was one recall on the clutch and the dealer handled it quickly and conveniently). It remains my favorite and, by far, most comfortable bike. I have zero complaints & I tip my hat to HD (2017 and on M8 HDs are great bikes).

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
The bikes you mentioned have well balanced engines but with the engine as a stressed member solidly mounted to the frame. This puts high frequency vibes into the frame, seat and everything. These vibes seem very slight at first but over time can cause butt burn that squirmy uncomfortable feeling and other fatigue. All my previous bikes (ST included) have had this to some degree.
The engine mounting difference may be why even with balancing shafts on the ST13, every ST11 I have ridden seemed to have the smoother engine.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Is the Road King belt drive? I like the idea and wonder why it isn't more popular.
One notable down side is that to replace the belt, you have to remove the entire rear suspension and swing arm. Not the end of the world, but it's there.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Shawn K said:
One notable down side is that to replace the belt, you have to remove the entire rear suspension and swing arm. Not the end of the world, but it's there.
beemerphile said:
...and the primary case.
I can see where that might get old/expensive. Barring unforeseen circumstances what might some replacement intervals be?

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I can see where that might get old/expensive. Barring unforeseen circumstances what might some replacement intervals be?
I think it is about 60,000 miles, but that can all go down the tubes by running a pebble through it.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Hence my reference to unforeseen circumstances.
Not to be a lawyer, but they have this term they use when they are in the process of suing people's pants off called "reasonably forseeable". Unless the belt is enclosed or there is some kind of really nifty pebble derailing apparatus, I'd consider running a rock through it as forseeable.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not to be a lawyer 'cuz I'm not I wasn't offering my statement in a courtroom.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
I’ve had a few belt drive HD’s. My current CVO Ultra has over 104000 miles on the belt. It’s been on plenty of dirt, gravel roads, towed a (dog) trailer 27K miles and both messaged engines putting around 117/117 at the rear wheel but the belt has held, even when hooliganing it enough to spin the splines on the oem clutch hub. Usually when the belt goes it’s due to debris in the belt/pulley interface, necessitating a further expense of a pulley. Any HD I have owned for long enough, the belt always outlived the engine. Definitely my bike of choice for comfort on long distance back to back 800 mile plus days over my ST’s though.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Ahh, Wagon Mound 1. I never understood Wagon Mound 2.
As the consequences of an outcome rise, the threshold for reasonable forseeability gets smaller. In other words, if the event is more consequential, you should reasonably take precautions even against less likely (or forseeable) conditions that could create an adverse outcome.

If I was Harley, I'd enclose the belt or invent a Really Cool debris sweeper to make sure no pebbles can make the trip. I understand that most riders have gone many years without a belt injury, but some have not been so lucky. We have friends who ride a Harley. The wife said once "we should come see you one day on the Harley." Then she remembered the mile long gravel drive to our house and said that he wouldn't ride the gravel because he had damaged a belt one time doing that. It may not be LIKELY to happen, but it COULD happen because it HAS happened. Given the cost and trouble to change a belt it would make customer satisfaction sense to take better active steps to prevent this unlikely outcome.

Bike
VStrom 650
As the consequences of an outcome rise, the threshold for reasonable forseeability gets smaller. In other words, if the event is more consequential, you should reasonably take precautions even against less likely (or forseeable) conditions that could create an adverse outcome.

If I was Harley, I'd enclose the belt or invent a Really Cool debris sweeper to make sure no pebbles can make the trip. I understand that most riders have gone many years without a belt injury, but some have not been so lucky. We have friends who ride a Harley. The wife said once "we should come see you one day on the Harley." Then she remembered the mile long gravel drive to our house and said that he wouldn't ride the gravel because he had damaged a belt one time doing that. It may not be LIKELY to happen, but it COULD happen because it HAS happened. Given the cost and trouble to change a belt it would make customer satisfaction sense to take better active steps to prevent this unlikely outcome.
Just wondering if there's any real difference between chains and belts in this respect. I've never heard of a chain being damaged by a stone going between chain and sprocket. But from what you are saying it obviously does with belts. I'd have thought the belt would just deform away from the stone and go back to normal afterwards. Where as the chain and sprocket would presumably hopefully crush the stone to powder. Is it that the belts are wider perhaps and more likely to collect stones than chain links.
Or am I being stupid :think1:.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
davidrider

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Belts are quiet/clean, don't require maintenance and are cheaper than shaft drives (though IDK what it would be like to repair either). They seem to (?) only be used on cruisers, not sure why.
Given today's carbon fiber/ kevlar belt technology, I don't think I'd replace my belt before 100K miles (when would you replace your cars timing belt and which is more crucial).
Don't forget that even shaft drives go out too. The first site that came up in my search said about 75K miles.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-long-does-a-driveshaft-last
And if you let a BMW tech overfill your fluids they can go out much sooner or so I've heard. Results vary.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Think I would be more comfortable on a low slung Harley with a belt on a gravel road then a tall top heavy ST with a shaft. Touring bikes and gravel are not ideal. Have had 4 belt bikes without issues, try to avoid gravel even in my car.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I wasn't suggesting that running a rock through the belt was common, only that physical damage could cut short the life of it. But since @ST Gui wasn't interested in that, my point wasn't helpful. Sorry, I didn't mean to start a belt vs. shaft discussion. As far as a low slung Harley on a gravel road, I'll pass. Even at 6'-2" I could hardly reach the ground on my dirt bikes and they live for it. I'll take some suspension travel and the ability to stand on it and move around if it gets gnarly. I get a mile of practice every time I leave or return home. Although I can't sling it around like I could my R12GS or even one of the airheads, it is fun to throttle-steer the ST and hang the back end out a bit in the turns. It is also good practice for that day when you lose traction on the street and have to deal with an unhooked 700 lb. motorcycle.

Now DEEP gravel is another story. It's just a big fat pig in deep gravel or soft ground - but so is a low slung Harley.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
It would be nice to have the right bike for every circumstance, a transformer. Most companies attempt to do this and fall short in one area or another. I am trying to decide on a second bike but think I will not be satisfied with less than 3, an ST, a big torque cruiser and an adventure cross, have had all 3 and enjoyed them all but not in all circumstances. A crotch rocket/naked bike would be nice also.

Top Bottom