2022 KLR Adventure

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My neighbor went and bought one of these and asked me to ride it back from the dealer for him. So. I did a 35 mile test ride on his brand new bike.
I have owned my 2011 KLR for nine years, and this new one handled like my old one, but the new one is different.

The dealer said not to get over 6k RPM for the first 500 miles or so. Honestly, I don't think I have ever had my own bike over that except for maybe two times. Anyway, I kept looking for the tach, there is no tach!
The thing still has only five speeds.
There is no easy provision for disabling the ABS.
I cannot tell if it makes any more power than my old school carburetor bike.
It has not lost any weight.
That stock seat is high!

The bike does have ABS, and is fuel injected.
They have fixed the balancer chain tensioner issue, (AKA Doohickey) I am told,

Kawasaki could have done better.

Bike
R1200rt
better = more money. The KLR is a simple bike and I'm glad they kept it that way. But they did make a number of improvements.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I had an 04 KLR650 before my ST1300. I loved that heavy pig of a bike, but my back didn't. I've got the old doohickey on my keychain. Did I say I loved that bike?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Best break-in includes strong acceleration (for pressure against back side of rings) but not high RPM.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Another KLR rider here.

It makes about the same HP as the carb model.

It gained weight with the fuel injection and ABS

They did not fix the Doohickey. You still need to do the conversion.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I had a used 2008 KLR.Had fun,but really wish washy even on-dirt roads.Got it stuck in the goulash between 2 tree roots.Realized the true weight of that bike.Got rid of it,broke even.They tend to hold their value.Kawi will still be making them 20 years from now.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Another KLR rider here.

It makes about the same HP as the carb model.

It gained weight with the fuel injection and ABS

They did not fix the Doohickey. You still need to do the conversion.
They didn't fix the counter balancer chain tensioner because they won't admit it's a problem! I had that conversation a few times with the dealership when I had my tires being changed.
When they do oil changes, they are supposed to loosen then tighten a long bolt which keeps the tensioner in place. When it's loosened, the spring reacts to take up any chain slack, then the bolt is tightened again.
I asked one of the mechanics how they can tell if the tensioner is working and the answer was shrugging his shoulders? It's always best to work on your own bike and take the advice of forums.

Edit......I added a few pictures my old OEM chain tensioner along side some Canadian currency for size. I believe the replacement tensioner was made by a guy called Eagle Mike on the KLR forum. Much thicker piece and made to last.
The issues with them was that the tensioner either broke, or the spring broke. My spring was broken and it migrated to the other side of the engine near the clutch basket. Just like the forum told me where I would find it. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
yea you don't crash, bump and beat the crap out of a st1300 on dirt trails.
Haha......Yeah, I used to take the beast off road often, man that thing is heavy to maneuver! Then I started using 90/10 street tires on it and drove mainly on dirt or paved roads. It still wasn't very comfortable to ride, even with an upgraded seat. I had to let her go and then bought the ST a few years later.
People told me that the KLR does nothing well, but can do everything. I would agree with that. I had fun driving that thing for 10 years in all conditions. With a small single cylinder engine and around a 25 liter fuel capacity I think, you could drive for quite a ways on one tank.

Last edited:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Used to own a 97 model KLR when I lived in Texas. Hosted a couple of KLR Doohicky STOC's . After we opened up one guys bike we found the Doohicky broke but was being held by the adjustment bolt. He had never adjusted his tensioner. Bought my bike used with 300 mile on it in 2002. Owned it for over 10 years. Rode it back and forth from Wichita Falls Texas to Denver a few times. All thru the Hill Country of Texas and the Back country of Colorado. Sold it to a friend up here in the Denver area. It is still on the road. Set up correctly it was one of the best all around do everything bike I have owned. Sure do miss my KLR Texas and Colorado back country Adventures. Getting a bit too old for that now.

Attachments

Bike
R1200rt
Used to own a 97 model KLR when I lived in Texas. Hosted a couple of KLR Doohicky STOC's . After we opened up one guys bike we found the Doohicky broke but was being held by the adjustment bolt. He had never adjusted his tensioner. Bought my bike used with 300 mile on it in 2002. Owned it for over 10 years. Rode it back and forth from Wichita Falls Texas to Denver a few times. All thru the Hill Country of Texas and the Back country of Colorado. Sold it to a friend up here in the Denver area. It is still on the road. Set up correctly it was one of the best all around do everything bike I have owned. Sure do miss my KLR Texas and Colorado back country Adventures. Getting a bit too old for that now.
my heart says get one but my rational side of the brain says not at your age. But there are sites on back roads that are truly wonders of nature that 99.9% of the population will never experience.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
They didn't fix the cam chain tensioner because they won't admit it's a problem! I had that conversation a few times with the dealership when I had my tires being changed.
When they do oil changes, they are supposed to loosen then tighten a long bolt which keeps the tensioner in place. When it's loosened, the spring reacts to take up any chain slack, then the bolt is tightened again.
I asked one of the mechanics how they can tell if the tensioner is working and the answer was shrugging his shoulders? It's always best to work on your own bike and take the advice of forums.

Edit......I added a few pictures my old OEM cam chain tensioner along side some Canadian currency for size. I believe the replacement tensioner was made by a guy called Eagle Mike on the KLR forum. Much thicker piece and made to last.
The issues with them was that the tensioner either broke, or the spring broke. My spring was broken and it migrated to the other side of the engine near the clutch basket. Just like the forum told me where I would find it. :)
It is the balancer chain tensioner, not the cam chain.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
It is the balancer chain tensioner, not the cam chain.
Yes, you're right.

Here is a video of the process. Brings back memories of working on the old girl. I used the same parts as well as the torsion spring.

Attached is a picture of my 2004 the day I advertised it.

Attachments

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
my heart says get one but my rational side of the brain says not at your age. But there are sites on back roads that are truly wonders of nature that 99.9% of the population will never experience.
There are lighter, better. more capable alternives to a KLR to take anyone who rides a bike to those back road wonders but you already know that

Bike
2006 ST1300
Huh???

I had an 04 KLR650 before my ST1300. I loved that heavy pig of a bike, but my back didn't. I've got the old doohickey on my keychain. Did I say I loved that bike?
Just for clarity purposes, which bike are you referring to?

I believe the industry classifies the KLR as a "mid-weight" Adv bike.
I haven't seen many STs where I ride my KLR.

IMG_0963.jpg

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Huh???

Just for clarity purposes, which bike are you referring to?

I believe the industry classifies the KLR as a "mid-weight" Adv bike.
I haven't seen many STs where I ride my KLR.

IMG_0963.jpg
The KLR.
They are very heavy when offroad in the mud.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
They didn't fix the counter balancer chain tensioner because they won't admit it's a problem! I had that conversation a few times with the dealership when I had my tires being changed.

Edit......I added a few pictures my old OEM chain tensioner along side some Canadian currency for size. I believe the replacement tensioner was made by a guy called Eagle Mike on the KLR forum. Much thicker piece and made to last.
Correct! Kawasaki absolutely did not fix the "doohickey" balance chain tensioner in the third generation KLR 650.. I upgraded my neighbor's '22 with an Eagle Mike torsion spring kit, the fourth time that I have done this.. The stock coil spring had very little tension, just like the older generations.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
KLR will do ‘er all.Not as well as a single purpose bike will.But they are bullet proof,& proven.Just as the VEE is bullet proof.

Top Bottom