Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
For those who don't know what this is . . . here's a primer (courtesy of one of this year's contestants).

The IBR is an 11-day motorcycle scavenger hunt that takes place on the North American continent (literally all over the continent).It is organized every two (2) years by the Iron Butt Association (IBA), an organization dedicated to safe, long-distance motorcycle riding.

The basic formula is that the participants (100 in total chosen from thousands of entries from around the globe) will be given a “menu” of locations (called bonus locations) across North America (usually 100+ locations). Participants need to pick and choose which bonus locations they will go to. It is physically impossible to go to every location on the list in the time allotted. Each bonus location is worth a certain number of points and generally, the harder it is to complete, the more points it can be worth (but not always). If a participant goes to a bonus location and successfully completes what is required, he will be awarded the points for that bonus location. The requirements for each bonus location could be as simple as taking a picture or going for a short hike or acquiring an item (like a newspaper or a poker chip). Some bonus locations are available twenty-four (24) hours a day, others are restricted to “Daylight only” and still others are even more time-restricted than that. If you go to the location and don’t do what is required, you don’t get the points…and even if you do go to the bonus location, complete the requirement but do not “claim” it on your scoresheet, you will not be awarded the points. The IBR requires not only strong motorcycle-riding skills, but also strong planning and record-keeping skills. You also have to arrive at certain checkpoints before the “window” closes or you are disqualified. It is NOT a race because it is not the first person to the checkpoint but rather the person who accumulates the most points that ultimately wins. It is about being smart, not fast.

The first IBR was organized in 1984. It ran every year from 1984-1987. The Iron Butt was not held again until 1991 when it came under the management of the Iron Butt Association. While the basic format of the original rally remained, two important things have changed; to insure the quality of the event, the rally is run every other year and the starting and ending points are rotated to different sections of the United States. This will be the twenty-first edition of the IBR and during that time, 647 individuals have finished the IBR (some participants have completed the IBR more than once). On average, 20-25% of riders who start the rally do not finish (for a variety of reasons: voluntary withdrawal (family, health), motorcycle breakdown, accident, etc).

By comparison, 628 people have reached “space” (according to the FAI definition of the boundary of space)(over 100 kms above the earth surface), but those people were either part of a country’s space program or extremely wealthy (of which I am neither).

Good luck and safe riding to all the participants,
Shuey, #423

Since 1953 when Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were the first to summit Everest, over 6,000 people have reached the top of Mount Everest, but half of them were Sherpas or Guides and the other half paid someone to do most of the heavy lifting for them. Some years, more people stand atop Everest than have EVER finished the IBR.

While friends and family offer support and encouragement, the IBR is very much a solo endeavour.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
This will be the twenty-first edition of the IBR and during that time, 647 individuals have finished the IBR (some participants have completed the IBR more than once). On average, 20-25% of riders who start the rally do not finish (for a variety of reasons: voluntary withdrawal (family, health), motorcycle breakdown, accident, etc).
math question.

If there have been 20 previous IBR, 647/20 = ~32 finishers per IBR. If 100 riders started each one, that would suggest 68% don't finish, rather than 20-25%. Is that difference because of riders who are disqualified during the ride due to missing a checkpoint, etc.?

If you're disqualified, can you complete the rally, but don't qualify as a "finisher" or do you have to leave the event?

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Good questions dwalby. All entrants are already Iron Butt Association members who have completed at least one ride of at lest 1,000 miles within 24 hours. On qualifying for membership they receive a Member Number. No idea what their up to now, 8,000+ probably.

Now, Iron Butt Rally entrants who complete all requirements of the rally within the time frames allowed, become a "Finisher." Finishers are awarded a coveted 3 digit membership number. Those who fall short, for whatever reason, retain their original member number. Those hardy riders who, with complete disregard for there bank accounts, time with family, and health enter additional IBR rides . . . and finish . . . do not receive an additional or new member number. The 647 number is the count of 3 digit membership numbers awarded so far to date, not the total number of Finishers. (No idea what they'll do when they get passed #999.)

Do disqualified riders have to leave the event? For the most part . . . well . . . .
The Rally is run in 3 stages with requirement information provided for each stage, at the start of that stage. If for whatever reason the rider can't continue during an early stage, they will be out of the Rally and won't attend Rider Meetings nor receive Bonus instructions for succeeding stages. To be a finisher, one of the requirements is to accumulate a minimum amount of points. Generally (not always) the overall point values of bonuses increase for each stage. At the initial Riders Meeting, a 'suggested'points goal is announced for the Stage. This is primarily for 1st time IBR riders to keep them on track to become a Finisher. Note, though, it's only a target, not a requirement. The only point count that's important is the total verified at the finish. A rider can be short of the goal points in Stage 1, for example, then exceed the goal in Stage 2 or 3 and still have enough total points to qualify as a Finisher.

So, if a rider can't continue to ride the Rally, they are labeled "DNF" Did Not Finish. Why didn't they finish? A need to return home for an emergency, their health, work requirement, wreck where the rider is to injured to continue, just get too worn out to ride safely or failed to complete a Stage within the time limits.
I'll note here, that some riders who have wrecked and their trusty steed is no longer capable of additional miles have managed to continue on a second bike to complete the Rally. As long as they complete each stage within the allotted time, they continue to ride succeeding Stages, even though it is unlikely they will be able to have enough points at the end to be a "Finisher" as switching horses results in a 50% loss of points.

I hope that answers your questions. If not, clarify and I'll give it another shot. :)

Anyone else have questions, chime in and I'll do my best.

Shuey
IBA #423

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
BeST of Luck, Shuey!!! We’re all rooting for you!
Warm Regards, John
John, many thanks for the sentiment, but . . . I'm not in this one.
I'm holding out for one more try when, if I'm still able to saddle up, I can possibly become the "Oldest Finisher!"
I think that record is currently held by an 81 year old, so I'll need to bide my time for 8 more years! :biggrin:

Shuey

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I hope that answers your questions. If not, clarify and I'll give it another shot. :)
it did partly, and clarified one of the numbers you provided earlier.

Let's just say hypothetically someone ran all 20 IBRs, and finished all 20 of them, that accounts for only 1 of that count of 647, not 20, right? So, the actual number of finishers over the years is at least 647, and slightly higher based on how many people have finished multiple times.

regarding not arriving at a checkpoint within the window and being disqualified, your "...well..." reply isn't clear. I think you're saying that if that happens, and they don't take themselves out of the event and instead show up at the next rider meeting, they would be informed at that time that they are out of the event and be asked to leave. In other words, they can't continue riding the event with a DQ on their record, they must stop riding the event after being DQed, right?

If the bike and rider are still willing, they won't be allowed to ride the rest of the event with a DQ on their record, or could they?

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I agree the numbers I posted up don't compute. I can only say that I liked the write up overall and just reposted it from another source. Such is life.

"DNF" rather than "DQ". If in riding any leg you don't finish that leg before the scoring cut-off time, you are DNF and out of the ride. However, you are free to hang around and travel to the succeeding Check Points and Finish. Once you are DNF'd you are no longer admitted to rider briefings nor receive any additional Rally information. Many (most) riders who are DNF'd during the Rally do go on to the Finish so they can attend the Rally Awards Banquet.

Does that help?

Shuey

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm holding out for one more try when, if I'm still able to saddle up, I can possibly become the "Oldest Finisher!"
If 'practice makes perfect' would not a better strategy be for you to run a couple of IBR before your 81 b'day? Besides, that would give us armchair captains someone else to root for!

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
If 'practice makes perfect' would not a better strategy be for you to run a couple of IBR before your 81 b'day? Besides, that would give us armchair captains someone else to root for!
Great idea! Well, I'll give it some thought . . . as soon as your $10k check arrives! Let me know if you need my address. :eek:

Miscellaneous:

In past years a "video" has been produced at the end of each leg which shows the riders moving around the country during that leg. I'll post them up as I find them after each leg.

Also, as Sadlsore noted in another post, there's a Daily Report that's not confidential that talks about what's happening and interesting events of the day. I don't know who the chronicler will be this year, but they're usually pretty good. I'll post that site up also when I know it.

Shuey

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
2011. Ran again in 2013 and . . . made it to day 9 before a mechanical failure took the bike and me out on I-10 near Deming, NM. Bike was totaled. A bit banged up and bruised, I did manage (with lots of assistance from other members here) to fly back to the Start/Finish for the Awards Banquet. Life is good and getting better every year.

Shuey

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Shuey,
I look forward to reading your thread every two years with the detailed explanations of the nuances of this event. I used to think that I would like to try it some day when I grow up. Now I have accepted that I really would not enjoy it, so I just sit back and read and watch. I love long distance riding, but I love good sleep even more. This is an exciting event to "try" to keep tabs on.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Shuey,
I look forward to reading your thread every two years with the detailed explanations of the nuances of this event. I used to think that I would like to try it some day when I grow up. Now I have accepted that I really would not enjoy it, so I just sit back and read and watch. I love long distance riding, but I love good sleep even more. This is an exciting event to "try" to keep tabs on.
Thanks Joel. I'm not much on trying to guess what someone is doing, or where they might be going next, but . . . I do enjoy sharing what experience I've had about how everything works and what's going on.

Anyone have questions, I'll gladly do my best to find/provide an answer.

Shuey

Top Bottom