'21 BMW R1250RT

Congrats on the new bike! Your going to like it. Check out the wind screen Tom Padden has on his. Looks like it would be much better for the summer heat in Texas. And it looks good on the bike.

Congrats on the new bike! Your going to like it. Check out the wind screen Tom Padden has on his. Looks like it would be much better for the summer heat in Texas. And it looks good on the bike.
I might have that one, the blue RT is the sport trim which gets a shorter shield.

I might have that one, the blue RT is the sport trim which gets a shorter shield.
Stumbled on this thread since I pretty much ignore everything but events, first things first - congrats on the new ride, you'll love it. :hat4:

My winter screen is the sport trim one; the other one is a much shorter K1300GT sport screen I had laying around. It's so short I put on a clip on extension to make it a perfect for me (no buffeting), rest of the year shield.

Tom

51692500544_bce724e223_c.jpg

51692468349_ca6e2624f7_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @TPadden , I haven't noticed any buffeting so far but still many miles needed for a good honest review. The seat is very soft which feels good for now but I have a feeling 400 miles into a trip it might be an issue. I'll wait on that until I have issues.

Do yourself a favor and research MotoScan. It does most of what a GS911 does for much less money. A BMW motor bike opens a whole nother world of farkles. Find a RT forum and start learning. Canbus can be your friend with the right tools.

BTDT......

Do yourself a favor and research MotoScan. It does most of what a GS911 does for much less money. A BMW motor bike opens a whole nother world of farkles. Find a RT forum and start learning. Canbus can be your friend with the right tools.

BTDT......
Already have that app and correct obd

Just seeing this so I will add my two cents. First, congrats!

I’ve owned a bunch beemers over the years and three RT’s. 1100, 1150 and a 12RT. They are absolutely wonderful machines and every time they update them, they get better. The more you ride your RT, the more you become “one” with the machine and it will continue to bring a smile whether looking at it in the garage, canyon carving or burning across the plains. It will do it all and ask for more.

You made a good choice!

Welcome to the dark side! Congratulations on the purchase. Many resources available, I agree – I avoid the dealer at all costs. As far as the riding experience, very happy with my 1200 RT. I’m sure that 1250 will make you grin.

Not everyone can handle the Triple... I get it ha! Hopefully you will be able to get out on that new luxury liner bro! ;)

IMG_0652 (1).jpg

Congrats on your RT, Joe. I've owned my 1200 RT for 3 years and love it. For 11 years my ST1300 was a solid mount. I simply wanted something different.

The RT's shift assist is the bees knees. I use it all the time for 3rd-6th
Other likes: Around town, I switch to Rain mode for ultra-smooth acceleration. And the soft suspension setting is comfy, and gives us inseam-challenged more sag for flat-footing.
Then in an instant you can dial up both settings for the twisties.

Additions/changes:

1--Added valve cover guards and Ilium rear guards. They're insurance in case of parking lot tipovers for this 70+ rider.

2--Didn't like the stock Metzler tires-- turned in too quickly and seemed tippy at low speed. I prefer my Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs

Have fun in your new world of riding

Attachments

• IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 41
Let's face it, BMW makes some very nice machines.
I've had a couple of their entry-level dualsports, but those don't even compare to their touring lineup, much less their full-on ADV bikes.
In the (strictly unattainable) perfect world, my perfect stable of perfect bikes, having the perfect tool for every conceivable dirt or street or combination, I have perfected my list over many years to only 21 motorcycles.
Yeah, that should do it.
At least for me.
Perfect.

It will be interesting to hear if BMW has addressed the quick shifting down while on the brakes. My KTM has a quick shifter and it seems to know just how much "blip" to use downshifting when braking aggressively. Even on loose surfaces it is rare to get rear wheel lockup. Maybe the slipper clutch plays a role as well? Overall, it is a handy feature that just takes some getting used to. Like Bakerboy, I find you can't be tentative with the shifter movement or it will get stuck between gears.
I forgot to reply to this with a follow up, I did lots of downshifting while using the brakes coming to stops and didn't notice any odd behavior. Obviously, I did clutch for 1st gear only.

I forgot to reply to this with a follow up, I did lots of downshifting while using the brakes coming to stops and didn't notice any odd behavior. Obviously, I did clutch for 1st gear only.
As I'd mentioned earlier, my 2016 wasn't very good smooth downshifting while braking. Sounds like BMW made improvements (as I'd expect them to do, given they're not sitting still with the model).
:thumb:

I’m surprised we haven’t heard from Bamarider. He went BMW several years ago, and is now on his second new RT. This occurred to me while I was boondocking in the Prattville, AL Walmart parking lot last week.

Back
Top Bottom