32k Valve Adj Question

While checking both intakes & exhaust valve clearances @ 32m I have found that all are at or just below factory specs. EX are at .008 & IN are at .005 or .006. For those who have put more mileage on their 1300's do you find the valve clearances have a tendancy to get larger or smaller as the valve train progressively wears?. I don't want to replace all shims to find out that the normal wear will increase over time and bring them back closer into spec. Thanks for your input

v8-7

Site Supporter
Re: 32M VALVE ADJUSTMENT QUESTION

Generally , they tighten up as the wear place is the valve seat rather than the cam or valve stems .

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

If they are going to move at all they are going to get tighter. By 86,000 miles I had one exhaust measure loose .008" and require reshimming to bring back into spec. While I was at it I reshimmed 4 other exhaust valves that were trending tight (tight .009) from the last check at 65,000 miles so I would hopefully not have to go through the process of adjustment in the future.

Edit update about what happened....... I found the 1 valve under .009" and over .008" during a valve check. The valve and all the others were stable after some movement prior to 65K but had been at .009 for some twenty thousand miles. I did not want to tackle this job and rationalized that Honda probably built some margin into the clearances and since the metric clearance spec is a tiny bit more generous than the english measurement I could wait until the next check at 106,000 miles ( I check mine about 20-22K intervals). I doubled up two thinner gauges and estimated the clearance between .0085 and .009 on the tightest valve (metric spec converts to .0087" IIRC) so I buttoned up the engine and went about my business except I could not let it be. I had done all the other maintenance required to that point and could not not do it so about 600 miles later I adjusted the valves. It wasn't that big of a deal just time consuming as I just about triple checked all my work. I used Mellow's traveling Hot Cam kit and then replaced the shims I took out of Mellow's kit with ones ordered from Honda. I used a small flat blade screwdriver and a small pair of vise grips for the special tool Honda says is required to release cam chain tension. I packed those with the traveling kit so it could be used with the kit for future users.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Many folks recommend running so Sea Foam or similar before measuring and adjusting. Get the carbon out of the equation.

Top Bottom