40A Upgrade on 1992 ST1100

I bought this YELLOW ST1100 late last year with the idea of a Winter project. Boy did I get that.
IMG_1075.jpeg
The list of needs was pretty straightforward:
* New Back Tire (replaced the front as well so they were matching)
* Both shocks were leaking oil, so I rebuilt both of them
* Headlight LED upgrade
* Exhaust leak - I ended up replacing the headers/collector and of course fitting new copper gaskets
* New Air Filter
* Fresh oil/filter
* Valve cover gaskets
* New brake pads all around, new brake fluid.

The PO had told me that the oil leak was from the valve cover gaskets. And, yes, part of it was. However, the majority of the oil was coming from - you guessed it - the wire seal on the stock 28A alternator. Although it was running fine, I knew it would be penny-wise but pound-foolish to not replace it with a 40A. Found a plate and "kit" on eBay, and set about collecting the other parts necessary. The kit came with the alternator bearings, unfortunately the large one was damaged and the vendor would not honor a replacement.
Contacted John O to see about borrowing The Kit. I received it, but shortly afterwards it was needed by another ST'er and it was too cold to work in my garage here in Maine. When the other user was done, he sent it back to me.
There are plenty of how-to's and write-ups on this procedure, so I'll just add my own observations:
* Although I was super-careful to line everything up properly, the Lewis Pin did not work for me - couldn't dislodge it despite a considerable tug (and several "test tugs" on the bench to gauge how much force would be necessary. Instead, I used a 12mm Hex in the same manner as the Frenstick to first engage the outer teeth, then rotate the works to align the second set and it slipped right in. Tight fit, but the bolts snugged it right up.
IMG_1123.jpeg
* Having a friend along for many of the steps would be a big help - especially with the drive shaft - but it can be done by one person.* I purchased a motorcycle ramp/table last Summer and I cannot imagine doing this job without it. I guess my motorcycle/ATV jack would also get it up off the floor, but not nearly as stable and removing a LOT of weight off the back might unbalance things to the point of tipping forward.
* I didn't find the wiring instructions to be very well-organized, but all the information is there if you read EVERYTHING and remember that you're going to be removing most of the wiring associated with the existing Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. I bought a salvage Main Fuse from a later ST and it bolted right up and looked like it belonged there.
IMG_0972.jpeg
* There will be a TON of fasteners, bolts, nuts, etc. As you remove components, put the fasteners in a baggie and label it with a sharpie!
* Yes you have to remove the swingarm. Yes you have to remove the gas tank. Yes, you have to remove most of the Tupperware. It's not hard, just tedious.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Good info. You might go to the alternator replacement thread in ARTICLES, scroll to the end and make a post saying something like, "This was my experience replacing the 28 amp alternator with a 40....." then copy and past the url at the top of this page. Post it. Now others will see this post when they read that article.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Excellent glad you were able to get that job done. You will be rewarded for your efforts. You should see many miles of fun riding with enough juice to power some accessories...like heated gear?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Congratulations, Lonnie. You’ve joined a select group of STriders. Don’t forget your obligatory report to the other forum.

So…. Who’s next for the upgrade kit.

John

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I never thought I would like a yellow bike, but now that I’ve seen GWs in yellow and your ST, I do like it!
Nice project and it should reward you well- these are usually 200+K mile bikes with only maintenance.

I'm afraid I'll be having to change the alternator on my red 1992. Fairly confident the battery is good. It charges right up with my trickle charger. First indication that something was wrong was the idle speed going from a normal 1000 up to 15 or 20. How much are the parts going to cost? What do I need? ......Love the ST in yellow and they should see you coming.

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
I am finishing up the alt upgrade on my 91. I would say to see if you can find a complete 40 amp takoff from a newer one for a start.also look for the alternator to battery sub harness .As stated there is a LOT of stuff to take off to get to it. Also it is an extremely tight fit to get it in place but it will go.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I installed a new Chinese made alternator in my bike - very reasonably priced. Looks just like the original Japanese alternator. No problems after 18K miles.
So many OEM parts are made in China these days. I think the quality is way better than years ago. Remember when Japanese products were considered junk ? Times do change.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
I'm afraid I'll be having to change the alternator on my red 1992. Fairly confident the battery is good. It charges right up with my trickle charger. First indication that something was wrong was the idle speed going from a normal 1000 up to 15 or 20. How much are the parts going to cost? What do I need? ......Love the ST in yellow and they should see you coming.
You need to get into the forums and do some research. I did when I did mine. Went through hundreds of posts, so had a pretty good idea of what to expect, then with the help of John OoSTerhuis when I ran into a glitch, I figured it out. All the answers to your questions are there as hundreds of guys have asked and answered those same questions. Some will still answer them, but I'm sure it gets a little tedious after having heard and answered the same questions over and over. Do the homework. You won't regret it if you decide to do your's which I highly recommend while you can get parts as they are getting harder and harder to come by. Three years after doing mine I'm as happy as a clam. Haven't seen a new bike yet I'd rather have than my ST.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
* Headlight LED upgrade
Geerhed, I'd be interested to know what you think about the LED upgrade when you get out on a night ride. I did mine last year. Yes the light is brighter, but the light seems more scattered and not focused down the road, especially on low beam. High beam works well, and I notice the road signs glow when I go by in the day, but I'm not real happy with the light pattern at night. I'm thinking about going back to some super bright automotive halogens. I think it has something to do with the reflector lense design. I don't ride much at night, but sometimes I have to, and there are some BIG critters wondering around in the dark out there in these mountains. Congrats on getting your ST sorted out. Hope you love it like the rest of us do.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Yes the light is brighter, but the light seems more scattered and not focused down the road, especially on low beam. High beam works well, and I notice the road signs glow when I go by in the day, but I'm not real happy with the light pattern at night.
Did you use spacer rings?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Adding the rings will make a noticeable difference.

It's about the depth of the bulb in the reflector, not the tabs fitting.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
... Yes the light is brighter, but the light seems more scattered and not focused down the road, especially on low beam. High beam works well, and I notice the road signs glow when I go by in the day, but I'm not real happy with the light pattern at night.
I noticed the same. I'll be going back to H4 when the LED lights go out.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Having cut new slots in the proper locations for the tabs of the F2 bulbs precludes the need for the adapters. The ST1100 adapter rings are designed to correct the tab locations. In theory they should make the beam pattern worse by lessening the depth that the bulbs penetrate in to the reflectors.

Are you sure that the slots that you cut in to the housing are square and at the exact same depth as the ones that they are substitutes for? If they are, and the bulb is sitting properly in them, the beam pattern should be very close to that of the halogen bulbs.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have a Euro headlight, and the LED headlights installed. They are bright, and in some cases too bright, especially in the rain. The colour temp of the white light doesn’t cut through the rain like a halogen does, it tends to reflect back at you making it harder to see. My PIAAs have more yellow quality in the light and when I put them on it cuts through the rain better. This is also the case in dusty conditions.
Sometimes lane markings are hard to make out, especially in construction areas where the trend seems to be the use of orange paint instead of yellow or white. The orange just disappears. Those are my observations with the F2LED headlights.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I have a Euro headlight, and the LED headlights installed. They are bright, and in some cases too bright, especially in the rain. The colour temp of the white light doesn’t cut through the rain like a halogen does, it tends to reflect back at you making it harder to see.
Brave enough to admit to the facts... :thumb:

Top Bottom