80s era Japanese 1100 cruisers

Bike
2008 ST1300
Pondering an 85/86 VT1100C Shadow, or an early 90s Virago 1100. Anybody had both and have any insight? Prices are pretty good coming into winter. I'm a Honda guy and lean towards the Shadow, liquid cooled 3 valve 1100, but am worried about it being a two year model, and have seen a lot of reported third gear failures. 87 switched to four speed, less power, less brakes, more "cruisey."

It seems like the Virago accomplishes about the same thing, but with less 40 year old tech to fail, and about 15 years of parts availability.

Anybody had one or both of these bikes, love it or hate it?

Screenshot_20230914-225211.pngScreenshot_20230919-080047.png

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I had a 1992 VT1100C Shadow. I put well over 300,000 KM/185,000 miles on it. I literally, not figuratively, rode it all over North America.

Failures were one fork seal (I replaced both), one shifter shaft seal, one front wheel bearing, one light bulb.
It consistently returned 60 miles per imperial gallon, 50 miles per US gallon.

My only complaint about it was the four speed transmission. There was a huge change in ratio between third and fourth. It could become irritating when traveling in circumstances that required being in the 45 to 55 mph range while dealing with climbing elevation, riding the Blue Ridge Parkway being a good example. In third gear at 50 Mph the 1100cc V Twin engine would be revving to high for cruising comfort. Not high enough to hurt the engine, it was just irritating. In fourth gear under those same circumstances the engine would lug to much when trying to climb a decent grade. The result was that I was constantly shifting between third and fourth under those conditions. Since I seek out those types of roads, this was often the situation. If those same conditions allowed maintaining over 60 Mph there was no problem in fourth gear. Later on in the Shadow line they changed to a five speed transmission. I was told that the fifth gear was the same ratio as the old fourth gear, they just added another gear between third and fourth. I don't know what model or year that was.

Pre 87 and the 87 model onward were quite different visually. I don't know about the technical changes. I also don't know what changes happened, or when they happened, between the 87 and my 92. I do know that the 92 had wider handle bars, which was a big improvement, and different carburetor jetting which gave the 92 a little more power.

Mine was pretty much bullet proof. Maintenance was real easy. Hydraulic valves are great. Oil changes are simple as could be.

VT1100_1.jpg
VT1100_2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
From user-reports, I've heard Suzuki had more electrical problems.
It's funny you say that, I had a Suzuki Intruder 1400 of that era that died on me at about 75mph, just quit. R/R failed, quit charging. I coasted quite a distance on I-81 into Syracuse. Intruder was a great, great motor, but poor handling, brakes, and comfort. Felt like a hot rod though.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
I had a 1992 VT1100C Shadow. I put well over 300,000 KM/185,000 miles on it. I literally, not figuratively, rode it all over North America.

Failures were one fork seal (I replaced both), one shifter shaft seal, one front wheel bearing, one light bulb.
It consistently returned 60 miles per imperial gallon, 50 miles per US gallon.

My only complaint about it was the four speed transmission. There was a huge change in ratio between third and fourth. It could become irritating when traveling in circumstances that required being in the 45 to 55 mph range while dealing with climbing elevation, riding the Blue Ridge Parkway being a good example. In third gear at 50 Mph the 1100cc V Twin engine would be revving to high for cruising comfort. Not high enough to hurt the engine, it was just irritating. In fourth gear under those same circumstances the engine would lug to much when trying to climb a hill a decent grade. The result was that I was constantly shifting between third and fourth under those conditions. Since I seek out those types of roads, this was often the situation. If those same conditions allowed maintaining over 60 Mph there was no problem in fourth gear. Later on in the Shadow line they changed to a five speed transmission. I was told that the fifth gear was the same ratio as the old fourth gear, they just added another gear between third and fourth. I don't know what model or year that was.

Pre 87 and the 87 model onward were quite different visually. I don't know about the technical changes. I also don't know what changes happened, or when they happened, between the 87 and my 92. I do know that the 92 had wider handle bars, which was a big improvement, and different carburetor jetting which gave the 92 a little more power.

Mine was pretty much bullet proof. Maintenance was real easy. Hydraulic valves are great. Oil changes are simple as could be.

VT1100_1.jpg
VT1100_2.jpg
That's a great track record, better than an automobile. Thanks for your input. I love the blue and white on that one, looks like a Bel Air.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had a VT1100 I bought used with 58k on it. Under powered so I bought the ST. :bk13: Now I can ride two up with no worries.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
had an 80 GL-1100, does that count as a cruiser? My riding buddy had a Suzuki GS-1000. We did not find any cruisers that could stay beside us.
Edit (corrected the year)

Last edited:
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Seems the Virago is rather popular with customizers, seen a lot of Cafe Racers made out of them (and Honda CX 500 too, go figure?)

Very interesting thread. Was thinking of buying an 85 Virago 1000 Gold edition near me. Very beautiful bike, real factory custom with tons of chrome all over and in very good visual condition ( based on the photos). Did some research and found out that the earlier ones have Hitachi carbs that can be bothersome and also the starter is prone to failure. Those things put me off for now, and the price is rather high for a near 40-year-old bike. Haven't researched the Honda, but I would make a lucky guess and say it will be more reliable than the Yamaha, given the condition of the two is similar.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I had a 1996 Virago 1100. Very fun bike, super low center of gravity. You really feel like you are wearing the bike as you sit nice and low. For a cruiser it handles incredibly well, I could always keep up with my buddies on sport bikes in the twisties, no problem. I went on many long road trips with full camping gear and never had a mechanical problem.

Its biggest drawback is only 5 gears, it REALLY could have used a 6th gear. The bike has great torque and acceleration but tops out about 70 mph, and driving over 70 mph there isn’t much left, making passing a challenge at that speed. At speed it makes a lot of noise when you open the throttle but not much happens. Gotta wear earplugs, not just for wind as it makes lots of mechanical noise that you really don’t need to hear.

I occasionally search the used bikes for a low mileage Virago as it would be a great bike to have in the stable, but then reason takes over as I really don’t need a 3rd bike in the garage. I have no idea what getting parts is like these days, but they certainly made a lot of them so there may still be a decent parts market.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I have owned several Virago's over the years, the last one was a 99 xv1100 that I sold 2 years ago. As long as you care for them and don't let fuel set in them, they are problem-free. However I would recommend any 750 or 1100 1988 or later as they have Mukuni carbs, earlier models had Hitachi carbs and they could be a problem.

Top Bottom