83 to 85 650 Nighthawk Do I want one????

Bike
R1200rt
I loved that look of the v45 sabre with the bags just never bought on be cause of the cam issues

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Mike nice photo of my bike. OK mine wasn't that clean but I really liked that bike. That replaced my 650 went it got bent.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Still thinking about it. So far fighting the urge.
Toby has a nice one.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/4944528946.html

There aren't too many out there currently.

The blue 700 Nighthawk S reminds me of a riding bud back in early 84 that had one. We went from Memphis to New Orleans switching bikes the whole way.

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 vfr800
There is a 750 nighthawk for sale locally with 1200 kms on it ,owner wants $5000 for it . they were nice bikes in their day but not worth that much money today for what it is in my opinion.

Bike
2000 ST1100
My early bikes were Suzuki 2 smokes. But I lusted for the Hondas of the early 80's while raising a family and not riding. So when a neighbor was selling an '81 CB650C for a few bills, I couldn't resist. A little elbow grease, a carb cleaning, and a head gasket and I present:
CB650C Web.jpg I had planned to put a sidecar on it, but that may not happen. It's nice to throw around a mid weight bike instead of "Large Marge" while running local errands.
Jim

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
My early bikes were Suzuki 2 smokes. But I lusted for the Hondas of the early 80's while raising a family and not riding. So when a neighbor was selling an '81 CB650C for a few bills, I couldn't resist. A little elbow grease, a carb cleaning, and a head gasket and I present:
CB650C Web.jpg I had planned to put a sidecar on it, but that may not happen. It's nice to throw around a mid weight bike instead of "Large Marge" while running local errands.
Jim
Nice bike. Good job on the restore. Always good to see them back on the road.

My dad had an 81 900 custom, it's the bike I learned to ride on. (after the 81 yamahopper which I still own and have hopped up to 60 cc's)

Bike
2001 ST1100
Having owned all three Nighthawk 750's, (the orginal chrome stripped one, a Nighthawk S and the last generation 750) I'd say buy it and enjoy it. They are great, easy to ride and easy to own. After getting off the ST and on to the Nighthawk you'll feel like you just lost 200lbs. They are reliable and there is still a large following for them. Just check out the folks over at the Nighthawk forum. http://nighthawk-forums.com/

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Adam and I shared a 700S for a couple years until I found him a 91 ST1100 which he still has. Given a choice right now, I would build THIS using a 650 with shaft drive instead of the 750 chain drive shown.

As to nostaligia: I always loved my original CB-500-4 and missed it much. Finally found a good 550 but it just wasn't the same. :D

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
I bought a 1985 Nighthawk S brand new in March of 1986. It was a closeout at San Jose Honda and the price was $2,500.00 (about $2,800 OTD). One of the most fantastic motorcycles ever made, I loved that bike for years. As I moved up it just got pushed back in the corner. My son had wanted that bike since he was a little tot so I sold it to him a couple years ago after he got some riding experience (he is 25 now) and he is taking great care of it.

One of the issues is finding new replacement parts for things like carburetors and petcocks. The petcocks wear out and there are no new ones anywhere and you have to drill out a couple of rivets to get to the damaged parts. There is one outfit in England that makes the replacement rubber parts but that is it.

I really, really wished that Honda would have seen the light and came out with a 1,000cc version and then a 1,200cc version. But honda can't be trusted with successful state of the art motorcycle designs, they just drop them off at the side of the road and head down their nutty cruiser/chopper road.

Here it is just before Steven took it home:

Dan

Bike
1997 Honda ST1100
I went on a ride with my buddy who had the shaft drive 650 and I at the time had a VFR 700f. We swapped for a few miles and I never got the fascination. My VFR had it all over the nighthawk. The triple clamps felt like they were twisting with every input as I was riding it hard, as I did my VFR, front end just did not feel planted at all. I personally never felt the need to ride it again after that. Brakes, straight line acceleration and handling all far superior on my VFR. I can't imagine liking it now any more than I did then. I don't think you can ever go backward once you get used to better, anything less feels like your cheating yourself.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well the KLX is sold, the $$$$ sucked up in the insatiable vortex called a family/home, etc. I still want to get an 83 650 Nighthawk. The parts availability thing does scare me off. I can do the labor, but without parts you can't do much.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
I bought a 1985 Nighthawk S brand new in March of 1986. It was a closeout at San Jose Honda and the price was $2,500.00 (about $2,800 OTD). One of the most fantastic motorcycles ever made, I loved that bike for years. As I moved up it just got pushed back in the corner. My son had wanted that bike since he was a little tot so I sold it to him a couple years ago after he got some riding experience (he is 25 now) and he is taking great care of it.

One of the issues is finding new replacement parts for things like carburetors and petcocks. The petcocks wear out and there are no new ones anywhere and you have to drill out a couple of rivets to get to the damaged parts. There is one outfit in England that makes the replacement rubber parts but that is it.

I really, really wished that Honda would have seen the light and came out with a 1,000cc version and then a 1,200cc version. But honda can't be trusted with successful state of the art motorcycle designs, they just drop them off at the side of the road and head down their nutty cruiser/chopper road.

Here it is just before Steven took it home:

Wow, I had bought one in Hayward same year, just like it. Another great memory and bike. Kids came along, bike got a new home. Miss the bike love the kids..hmmm. The oldest has been pestering me to find her a retro bike.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
One just popped up on Craigs list near me. https://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/5242524333.html

I'd prefer the burgundy or red one.

What's with the low mileage on all of them? The bike's 32 years old! They ALL have less than 30k miles on them. I also have been researching on them and found some with the #3 con rod big end bearing out.

In talking about oil here we never have an example of damage from the wrong oil or not enough oil changes. Here it is.

I don't want to have to do major engine work when bought, or later down the road. It's enough to keep the rest of the bike up.

What to do........?

One just popped up on Craigs list near me. https://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/5242524333.html

I'd prefer the burgundy or red one.

What's with the low mileage on all of them? The bike's 32 years old! They ALL have less than 30k miles on them. I also have been researching on them and found some with the #3 con rod big end bearing out.

In talking about oil here we never have an example of damage from the wrong oil or not enough oil changes. Here it is.

I don't want to have to do major engine work when bought, or later down the road. It's enough to keep the rest of the bike up.

What to do........?
What I would do, which has little impact, perhaps,... is to: "Sigh a big sigh"!... Sing/Hum the "Archie Bunker" "Theme Song":..." Those Were The Days"... and MOVE ON...A few years ago...I thought I sure would like to get a Nighthawk 700S...blue/red preference... saw one outside a small town independent car dealer shop as I rode by on ST1100...turned around & was given very liberal approval to "take it for a ride for awhile"...I immediately felt the "oldness" in its ride/performance...especially to my comparison with a 1991 VFR 750...to me... the upkeep/repairs was not worth the effort & politely thanked the owner for the chance to quell any further thoughts I had of owning one, though I still like their looks & would have liked to have had one...IN THEIR TIME!... However,... I share your yearning for RETRO... for me... it is old stereo/amps/turntables!:):03biker:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
What I really need is a test ride now on one. You're probably right, just stick with the ST now.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Wow, I hadn't thought about my old Nighthawk 700S in a long time. Thanks for bringing it back.

The 700S was, in my opinion, one of best motorcycles ever built. The engine was powerful, had hydraulic valves that never needed adjusting, and revved freely to over 10,000RPM. There was a big power hit right before redline. Handling was excellent for the day on the 16" wheels, and comfort was good, too.

There are several bikes I wish I had held onto, but the Nighthawk tops the list. It was Honda at its best.

pete
BMW R1200RT (for sale)
Yep 700s was a solid deal and all the above....raising kids and things come up you make adjustment....I will find one one day and rebuild it for the memory, nastalgia and oh heck just ride it !!!

Top Bottom