90 Degree Valve Stems

Hello All,

Someone suggested putting 90 degree valve stems on the ST13 since access is limited especially on the rear wheel.

Questions:

- What size valve stems does our bike require...?? (ST1300 - 2014 year)
- Has anyone put on right angle valve stems...??
- Any other thoughts on valve stems...??

It seems like my front leaks slowly. My local shop changed 3 tires on my 2 st1300's, and 3 tires had slow leaks after they changed them. Perhaps they did a crap job...?? Perhaps valve stems should also have been checked and/or changed...?

Thoughts appreciated. Many thanks!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, yeah the only constant would be the valve stem and those rubber ones will crack over time.. also, some put the TPMS's on them which will make them flex and fail.

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
Well, yeah the only constant would be the valve stem and those rubber ones will crack over time.. also, some put the TPMS's on them which will make them flex and fail.
The other constant is how they put the tires on... Do they clean the inside of my rims...? Do they damage the bead when putting on the tire...?? Even worse... do they damage (dent/scratch) the inside of the rim when they change the tires...?? I dunno...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The other constant is how they put the tires on... Do they clean the inside of my rims...? Do they damage the bead when putting on the tire...?? Even worse... do they damage (dent/scratch) the inside of the rim when they change the tires...?? I dunno...
True, it's possible but the valve stems are more likely... they flex and some folks never replace them 'til a slow leak issue or when it's too late. Also, since the rubber stems are not 90 degrees they get flexed when adding air.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like and use 83 degree aluminum Bridgeport-type valve stems in all my bikes. A set were on my ST for probably 150,000 miles with no issues. They were made by Ariete but they are commonly available through motorcycle shops and online locations.

If I mount the tires at a friend's house I clean the bead area of the rims but most of the time a shop is doing it. They probably aren't cleaning the rims like I would.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
- What size valve stems does our bike require...?? (ST1300 - 2014 year)
11.3mm
- Has anyone put on right angle valve stems...??
Many, many of us have.
- Any other thoughts on valve stems...??
If there is any possibility that you might install a TPMS system with an externally mounted TPMS sensor that screws on to the valve stem, consider installing Tee valve stems instead of the 90° stems. It makes adjusting the tire air pressure much easier with this type of TPMS installed.
90° Valve Stem. Only an example. There are many other sources as well.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Spray the valve stem with soapy water and see what happens.. then, gently move it around and see if it leaks... then spray the edges of the rim to see if you detect any bubbles.

Top Bottom