'91 - '03 750 Nighthawk longevity & high mortality parts? Other thoughts. Long.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I had a 2002 Nighthawk 750 (black) and it was a great bike. In fact I remember you and your bikes from a couple Nighthawk rallies at the Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah NC probably around 2012 or 2013. I kept it for five years and 20k miles but wasn't riding it much after I got my ST1100 at the time. No doubt I could still be riding it. I did have a sentimental attachment to it but nowhere near what you guys have after 30 years and 70k miles. In the end I decided to move it on as I didn't want to have to store and maintain it. I'm now 68 and at my age, there's only so much time left which in my opinion is the most valuable commodity of all. I do keep 2 bikes though as I always want to have one to ride in case the other is down for repair.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
While I have two ST1100s, I still have my '96 CB750ST. I could never sell it for what it's worth to me.

Before, I had a highway ST and a local CB. Now I have a highway ST, a local ST, and a fun "little" bike.

NH750a.jpg

OP
OP
slmjim

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Warm-ish day yesterday. Got out on my BlueHawk for 25 mi. or so, long enough to mix Stabil into the topped-off tank. Bike ran perfectly and reminded me (yet again) why we fell in love with the 'Hawks in the first place. Will drain the carbs today for winter. The Ride was also long enough to make me question (yet again); Why let go of our '93 'Hawks?
Anecdotal evidence & general consensus is CB750 Nighthawks can reasonably be counted on to reliably be 100K mile bikes, given good care & maintenance.

During our daily hour+ dog park excursion afterward, we discussed (again) what course of action to take. Z1BEBE sez she's happy to keep status quo. That's likely what we'll do. The impetus of stasis, of doing nothing, is strong.

With my future miles as Rider being split between whichever 'Hawk we prep for a Ridin' season, our ST1300A dedicated to two-up, and whichever Z1 we prep for joyrides, shows & charity runs that season, I'd be pushing 100 yrs. old by the time either 'Hawk got to 100K miles, and that only if one & not the other 'Hawk was ridden every year.

Used to be, the correct number of bikes to have is n+ 1. Aging changes that calculation for us.

Bottom line is, we're happy with what we've got. It was so obvious we couldn't see it.

Thanks for the relatively objective responses everyone.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Last edited:
OP
OP
slmjim

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Bike
Which one today...?
... In fact I remember you and your bikes from a couple Nighthawk rallies at the Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah NC probably around 2012 or 2013. ...
Yeah, that was us. We arrived first Kickstand rally well after dark, probably 11:00 ~ 11:30, after Ridin' almost all of the the Cherohala after dark due to miscalculating Ridin' time from home.

Not recommended.

The last few miles into Robbinsville are US129/Dragon tight, and the word 'dark' doesn't do justice to the inky blackness at night.

Our GPS directed us to within striking distance of Kickstand, but it was the bonfire there that we saw from the road that was the welcoming beacon that made us turn in. We'd never been there before, and would likely have missed the entrance without seeing the bonfire. We always Ride with bike-to-bike comms, and I said to her, "This must be it."

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Last edited:
OP
OP
slmjim

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Bike
Which one today...?
... By the way, what oils are you folks using??? (Yes, just kidding on that last question!). ...
Just can't help myself. :rolleyes:

On both 'Hawks:
Changed the factory fill & filter @ 100 mi. w/ Honda GN (whatever it was back then) dino oil.
Oil & filter again at the 600 mi. initial dealer service.

Kawasaki 20w-50 dino motorcycle oil @ 2,500 mi. until 5,000 mi. to complete break-in on dino.

Bought cases of NAPA 15w-50 (Valvoline?) on closeout somewhere around the 4,000 ~ 5,000 mi. mark. Ran that until a few yrs. ago, changed & filter every 3,000 mi. from 5,000 mi. 'till ~ 60,000 mi. or so.

Rotella T6 15w-40 syn. & filter every 3,000 since, likely to run same for remaining life (of me or bikes).

The above is slmjim's opinion & it's very true.:biggrin:

The Lovely Z1BEBE doesn't care, as long as whatever bike she's (we're) on gets us there & back.

Nice that our 'Hawks & ST1300A take the same filter. And oil.:rofl1:

Enough.

\ hijack

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You have already answered your question so this is offered as nothing more than an observation.

While reading your thread it occurred to me that any question of dispensing with ownership of a motorcycle that takes a significant amount of time to conclude and causes much anguish to decide is really a question that was answered when it was first asked. You didn't really want to part with those motorcycles from the outset. If you had, the decision would have been much easier and simpler.

Top Bottom