93 ST charging Help and Parts

Working on a 93 ST. This is new to me. Not charging. Checking with OHM meter. Black to white 2.8 ohm, open to ground. When Key on I have battery power to the black wire. 3 yellow wires Red connector, .6 ohm all combination of them, and 2.3 ohm to the case. Engine running about 2K RPM, Red connector, yellow wires. 37 AC Volts out of the 2 parallel terminals. One of the parallel to the 90 degree terminal 37 AC volts the other terminal to the 90 degree is 14 volts. Not sure if that lower voltage is correct?? Even if it not correct I think I should have some higher output voltage to the battery. Just battery voltage at the battery when running. I think the the rectifier Regulator is bad. I have searched google and ebay for the upgrade 40 amp for the 91-95 ST not any luck finding anything. The 96 and up there is lots of them out there. So what do I need for the 93 ST?? Stator, Rotor (armature) and mounting plate?? Does somebody have all the parts?? Post a link.. Has anybody used another 3 wire rectifier, then ignition hot to the black wire. There is other Honda rectifier / regulator out there for $20. instead of over $200. they want for this one. Also the previous owner must have changed the stator with a new Honda one. I have another used stator. The cycle has set for some time because it did not charge. Is there any files on how to do the job?? youtube does not have any complete videos on the early ST but some on the 96 and up.. The picture is of the 2 stators I have. Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Loads of info on alternator upgrades/testing here.

You might as well forget the 28 amp unit and do the upgrade to the 40 amper. Putting a used stator in there now might have you going back in there to do it all over again for the 40 amp unit.

There is a kit available to help with the work involved. John Oosterhuis manages that kit. Email him through the forum.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
3 yellow wires Red connector, .6 ohm all combination of them, and 2.3 ohm to the case.
Its been years since I had to test an alternator, and it wasn't on an ST, but that resistance to "the case" sounds bad if by "the case" you mean some path to ground. Maybe I mis-interpreted it, but if your coil insulation is shot, then for sure a new 40A alternator would be the best way to go.

OP
OP
snowworks
Loads of info on alternator upgrades/testing here.

You might as well forget the 28 amp unit and do the upgrade to the 40 amper. Putting a used stator in there now might have you going back in there to do it all over again for the 40 amp unit.

There is a kit available to help with the work involved. John Oosterhuis manages that kit. Email him through the forum.
Thanks for the name for the parts to the 40 amp. I will check with him.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
John (@John OoSTerhuis) has stated that he does not look at or respond to private messages, so that won't help. I just pinged him to get his attention so that he can respond to the OP if he wishes.

OP
OP
snowworks
Its been years since I had to test an alternator, and it wasn't on an ST, but that resistance to "the case" sounds bad if by "the case" you mean some path to ground. Maybe I mis-interpreted it, but if your coil insulation is shot, then for sure a new 40A alternator would be the best way to go.
You read that correct. Yellow wires to the case or motor block, ground. 2.3 ohm. The yellow wires AC output. The one combination is a lot lower than the others. I think there is a problem there. I just need to find the correct parts to do the 40 amp upgrade.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
OK , not sure how to ping him?? I could not see how to message him either. Maybe because I am new??
You can't message him because he has chosen to disable that option- see post #5 above. I have pinged him for you in that post. He will see this thread. All you can do is wait and see if he wishes to respond.

OP
OP
snowworks
John here. It’s late. I’ll post some links tomorrow.
Thanks John, Looking for parts information. What parts do I need to upgrade the 93 to charge. OEM parts NLA for the 93 and the 96 and up also. I do see there is aftermarket Alternator for the 96 and up. Thanks..

OP
OP
snowworks
With the help of a lot of guys here, and a lot John OoSTerhuis wisdom, I completed the upgrade on my '94 ST a couple of years ago. There's tons of info on the upgrade here and on the st-riders.net site. You're going to have to do some research. Here's the write up on my upgrade. You may have to join the site to read it.

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=12567.msg115712#msg115712
OK I might do that. I have looked at some of the archive on here. Do you know what parts John used?? The parts from Honda are NLA for the 93 and the 96 up. I need what parts to use now since Honda is NLA. There is some aftermarket parts for the 96 and up. Thanks..

OP
OP
snowworks
OK I might do that. I have looked at some of the archive on here. Do you know what parts John used?? The parts from Honda are NLA for the 93 and the 96 up. I need what parts to use now since Honda is NLA. There is some aftermarket parts for the 96 and up. You said a couple of years ago was that before pandemic?? How many miles on your ST?? Thanks..

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The 40amp alt upgrade, w/video: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=942

How to borrow the STOC alternator upgrade tool kit (register if you haven’t already): http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=545.0

edit: my picture gallery: http://www.st-riders.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=22

Currently the only source, other than salvage, for the alt base plate: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1100-40-amp-adapter-plate-p-n-1202-maj-g20.179589/
AFAIK, this is the only 40 amper part not still available from Honda. I could be wrong. I haven’t had any recent reports.

Regards, John

Last edited:
OP
OP
snowworks
The 40amp alt upgrade, w/video: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=942

How to borrow the STOC alternator upgrade tool kit (register if you haven’t already): http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=545.0

edit: my picture gallery: http://www.st-riders.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=22

Currently the only source, other than salvage, for the alt base plate: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1100-40-amp-adapter-plate-p-n-1202-maj-g20.179589/
AFAIK, this is the only 40 amper part not still available from Honda. I could be wrong. I haven’t had any recent reports.

Regards, John
Thanks John!! I have a message sent to FZ750 to get an adapter plate. If I get that then I am on my way. I will register on ST-rider. I just looked at the Honda parts for the 96 up and the complete alternator is available but some of the internal parts are not any more. Your picture gallery is helpful to see what parts I need. Thanks Brian

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Working on a 93 ST. This is new to me. Not charging. Checking with OHM meter. Black to white 2.8 ohm, open to ground. When Key on I have battery power to the black wire. 3 yellow wires Red connector, .6 ohm all combination of them, and 2.3 ohm to the case. Engine running about 2K RPM, Red connector, yellow wires. 37 AC Volts out of the 2 parallel terminals. One of the parallel to the 90 degree terminal 37 AC volts the other terminal to the 90 degree is 14 volts. Not sure if that lower voltage is correct?? Even if it not correct I think I should have some higher output voltage to the battery. Just battery voltage at the battery when running. I think the the rectifier Regulator is bad. I have searched google and ebay for the upgrade 40 amp for the 91-95 ST not any luck finding anything. The 96 and up there is lots of them out there. So what do I need for the 93 ST?? Stator, Rotor (armature) and mounting plate?? Does somebody have all the parts?? Post a link.. Has anybody used another 3 wire rectifier, then ignition hot to the black wire. There is other Honda rectifier / regulator out there for $20. instead of over $200. they want for this one. Also the previous owner must have changed the stator with a new Honda one. I have another used stator. The cycle has set for some time because it did not charge. Is there any files on how to do the job?? youtube does not have any complete videos on the early ST but some on the 96 and up.. The picture is of the 2 stators I have. Thanks for the help!!
I am in the same boat. As other have mentioned... you should have OPEN reading on ohms from all 3 yellow wires in the red plug and both the wires in the 2P connector (blk and white). If you are really seeing 2.3 ohms to ground then yes your stator is shot. In my case all the readings were all within spec so I replaced my VRR and have just completed a 2800 mile trip last week with no issues. I did bite the dust and get the Honda OEM one ($260) but I'd already purchased a $50 one off Scamazon and still have that (never used). If you recheck your bike and find out that your stator does check good, I'd be willing to send that VRR to you and see if that fixes you up. A lot faster and cheaper fix. Long run, you're better off doing the 40A upgrade as I am getting ready to do.

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks John!! I have a message sent to FZ750 to get an adapter plate. If I get that then I am on my way. I will register on ST-rider. I just looked at the Honda parts for the 96 up and the complete alternator is available but some of the internal parts are not any more. Your picture gallery is helpful to see what parts I need. Thanks Brian
I was able to find everything except the noted alternator bracket, and the cap for the prop shaft (also no longer in supply from Honda ) at Partzilla within the past 2 weeks.

Top Bottom