93 ST charging Help and Parts

OP
OP
snowworks
I would go with the aftermarket alternator, I installed one in a previous bike and it’s still working. It makes the upgrade much more affordable.
I do plan to go aftermarket. Is there a brand that you bought?? I see a few used Honda ones on ebay and lots of aftermarket. I works on a lot of equipment and there has been some times the cheap China parts are just that JUNK. or do not fit correct. Have to modify to fit. It is just the way it is. So I have been looking. Thanks!!

OP
OP
snowworks
I am in the same boat. As other have mentioned... you should have OPEN reading on ohms from all 3 yellow wires in the red plug and both the wires in the 2P connector (blk and white). If you are really seeing 2.3 ohms to ground then yes your stator is shot. In my case all the readings were all within spec so I replaced my VRR and have just completed a 2800 mile trip last week with no issues. I did bite the dust and get the Honda OEM one ($260) but I'd already purchased a $50 one off Scamazon and still have that (never used). If you recheck your bike and find out that your stator does check good, I'd be willing to send that VRR to you and see if that fixes you up. A lot faster and cheaper fix. Long run, you're better off doing the 40A upgrade as I am getting ready to do.
Indyrob, Check out the link for the adapter plate that John OoST posted here. I emailed him and he said he had one So I sent him my $75. I have 2 stators here and both of them have a path to ground on the yellow wires. Yep Junk. The one on the bike also has the oil leak. Time to up grade. Thanks but I do not need the VRR. I might have a good one?? I am getting a list of parts to order from the dealer next. This bike has a lot of bolts missing. Trying to see what I need. I seen that shaft cap but not sure why I need that. Thanks..

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I do plan to go aftermarket. Is there a brand that you bought?? I see a few used Honda ones on ebay and lots of aftermarket. I works on a lot of equipment and there has been some times the cheap China parts are just that JUNK. or do not fit correct. Have to modify to fit. It is just the way it is. So I have been looking. Thanks!!
There was no brand name. At the time there were a number of them listed for around the same price. I paid $135 US 4 years ago. Looking at the listings now it appears to be $176.
There was no issues with it fitting. It was replaced in a matter of minutes once the other one was out. (This was a direct exchange from a 40amp to a 40amp). No matter what, the upgrade will take longer and a little more fiddling, as you have to align it properly to get it past the frame. (The frames of the 1990-95 are different than the 96-2002 as there’s an extra bar to get it past). There will be a Eureka moment once the alternator is lined up for installation.
The loaner tool kit has the instructions and the tools required to do the job. It may take a few attempts to get the gears to line up and it pops into place.

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Indyrob, Check out the link for the adapter plate that John OoST posted here. I emailed him and he said he had one So I sent him my $75. I have 2 stators here and both of them have a path to ground on the yellow wires. Yep Junk. The one on the bike also has the oil leak. Time to up grade. Thanks but I do not need the VRR. I might have a good one?? I am getting a list of parts to order from the dealer next. This bike has a lot of bolts missing. Trying to see what I need. I seen that shaft cap but not sure why I need that. Thanks..
Yes if you have path to ground your stator is toast... and as you said the VRR is probably OK, but if you're doing the upgrade no need for it anyway. I have 90% of the parts to start... with the final set of O-rings etc due from Partzilla on Monday. Goona do a thorough cleaning of the bike this weekend when it warms up, then start on the upgrade during the latter part of next week. Fortunately I am off work now for a while so once I start in I should be able to work as much as I want to. Hoping to complete it in 2-3 partial days.

OP
OP
snowworks
I am in the same boat. As other have mentioned... you should have OPEN reading on ohms from all 3 yellow wires in the red plug and both the wires in the 2P connector (blk and white). If you are really seeing 2.3 ohms to ground then yes your stator is shot. In my case all the readings were all within spec so I replaced my VRR and have just completed a 2800 mile trip last week with no issues. I did bite the dust and get the Honda OEM one ($260) but I'd already purchased a $50 one off Scamazon and still have that (never used). If you recheck your bike and find out that your stator does check good, I'd be willing to send that VRR to you and see if that fixes you up. A lot faster and cheaper fix. Long run, you're better off doing the 40A upgrade as I am getting ready to do.
There was no brand name. At the time there were a number of them listed for around the same price. I paid $135 US 4 years ago. Looking at the listings now it appears to be $176.
There was no issues with it fitting. It was replaced in a matter of minutes once the other one was out. (This was a direct exchange from a 40amp to a 40amp). No matter what, the upgrade will take longer and a little more fiddling, as you have to align it properly to get it past the frame. (The frames of the 1990-95 are different than the 96-2002 as there’s an extra bar to get it past). There will be a Eureka moment once the alternator is lined up for installation.
The loaner tool kit has the instructions and the tools required to do the job. It may take a few attempts to get the gears to line up and it pops into place.
Kiltman, How many miles on your ST?? Thanks for the update on the alt. I googled it a few times and BD electrical came up and has one for $150. I also notice he has other items for motorcycles. Might be better to deal with one company not a third party. I might go that way. Not sure. I have seen the video on the alt install through the frame. I think I will get it. I have be a technician all my life. If I can get the parts and have some knowledge of how to do it I can get the job done!! Thanks to all the ST owners!!..

Top Bottom