93 st1100

Bike
92 st1100
STOC #
I just picked up a 93 st1100 with 33000 miles on it. I purchased it for a 30 pack of coors!! It wasn’t charging and the alternator was leaking oil so I did the 40 amp upgrade. 14.4 volts now!! It has been sitting for quite some time so the fuel pump was locked up with solid fuel. I cleaned it out and got it spinning but the strainer material was torn from the parts washer. I’m not sure what to use to fix that?? I was able to let it run with an external gravity tank and it revealed a coolant leak so I guess I’ll pull the carbs and change all hoses and rings on the fittings. I’m thinking of changing the timing belt also. The mileage isn’t there but it is a 93??? Any suggestions for the fuel pump strainer?

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
The fuel pumps are still available....$$$ Some have replaced with Airtex E8371 Take a look on the Forum
Also some are using the Facet external pump.

Bike
R1200rt
I just picked up a 93 st1100 with 33000 miles on it. I purchased it for a 30 pack of coors!! It wasn’t charging and the alternator was leaking oil so I did the 40 amp upgrade. 14.4 volts now!! It has been sitting for quite some time so the fuel pump was locked up with solid fuel. I cleaned it out and got it spinning but the strainer material was torn from the parts washer. I’m not sure what to use to fix that?? I was able to let it run with an external gravity tank and it revealed a coolant leak so I guess I’ll pull the carbs and change all hoses and rings on the fittings. I’m thinking of changing the timing belt also. The mileage isn’t there but it is a 93??? Any suggestions for the fuel pump strainer?
Get rid of that pump it will fail. There are auto fuel pumps available that are used with only slight modifications, see https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1100-fuel-pump-replacement.172602/ there are a number of different ways, 5 pages, but you'll get the idea

Better get a good idea where the coolant leak is from before doing the timing belt, water pump is t/belt driven. IMO get the fuel pump fixed and test drive it make sure you don't have to clean out the carbs. Carbs come off to do all the hoses

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
OP
OP
Bike
92 st1100
STOC #
Thanks for the replies. I’ve had the coolant lines coming me before so I’m a little obsessed with them. I’m gonna go ahead and replace all the rubber parts so I can start fresh. I currently ride a 92 st1100. It’s got 160,000 miles on it. I bought the aftermarket fuel pump and regulator that Phil recommended. I was lucky that I did t need it, I just needed to bypass the fuel shut off valve. So I could use those items on this bike. My goal would be to freshen up the new 93 and get rid of the old 92.

I should have proof read before posting. I was trying to say that I had the coolant lines fail on me before…

OP
OP
Bike
92 st1100
STOC #
Well I just ordered the gates submersible fuel
Line. Whew. $29.00 a foot!! I’m gonna go with the quantum pump Phil suggested. I bought two of them because I’m gonna first try to thread it into the old pump regulator. If that doesn’t work I also bought the regulator Phil suggested.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, they think a lot of that submersible fuel line for sure!
But the 'fuel' line that comes with the Quantum pump is pure junk - it might work for a soda straw but that's about it. ;)
I just installed another Quantum/regulator in another one of my ST1100s after having fuel pump issues.
I fabbed up a metal bracket that sits where the fuel cutoff valve used to set and holds the regulator in place.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Yes - It just eliminates a failure that will happen sooner or later.
It might be of some value if the bike is turned upside down, but if that happens you've got bigger problems to deal with anyway ... ;)
Notice he said "... It just eliminates a failure that will happen sooner or later." ...

I firmly believe this is a true statement. I've had them fail at vastly different mileages from 37K to 97K miles. I was lucky the last time. I was able to pull into a rest stop to bypass it. I now bypass and delete the valve on any 1100 I acquire, the first time the plastic comes off.

OP
OP
Bike
92 st1100
STOC #
Phil I’m contemplating the way you did it with the external regulator compared to using the Honda part. Maybe you can help me decide. With the Honda part it seems more like a relief valve that dumps back to the tank. The external regulator just lowers the pressure. Does that put unnecessary back pressure on the pump? Mounting the quantum pump on the Honda regulator could run the risk of the plastic nipple breaking off in the regulator? Also you said you fabbed a bracket for your second install? Would you share a picture? And finally (sorry I’m rambling) did you set your external regulator to 1.5??
Thanks!!

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've run the Quantum pump and fuel regulator setup for 3 years and over 15,000 miles with no issues on one of my 1997 ST1100s.
I set it to 1.5 PSI and wrapped tape around it to make sure the knob did not move and just zip tied it to the fuel cut-off bracket.
I was not really happy with that (looks a little crappy) so I've been rattling around how to make a bracket for it.
Here's a picture of the bracket I made for the second one -

Fuel Pressure Regulator Bracket.jpg

The regulator 'knob' goes through the hole (so it needs to be big enough to accept it) and the holes beside the big hole are for zip ties to secure it to the bracket.
The little piece on the right bolts to the air cleaner where the fuel cutoff valve was mounted.
You need to fuss with the angle so that the regulator side is pretty much up against the gas tank so the tank shelter fits back on.
I wanted an external regulator so I could adjust the pressure to see what really works best.
I preformed the hoses (Preforming a Rubber Fuel Line | Technical | ST-Owners.com ) so I could get them where I needed them without kinks in the lines.
The one from the fuel tank comes into the right side in a curve and the one to the fuel filter comes in from the left side in a u shape.
This is the second one I've done and I plan on doing a 'road test' on Tuesday just to see if I find any issues with it.
Right now it runs and starts just fine with no issues.

OP
OP
Bike
92 st1100
STOC #
Thanks for the picture. The bracket looks great and easy enough to make. I read the preforming rubber hoses thread, did you find an acceptable procedure?? More and more I’m thinking of the external regulator option. Merry Christmas!!

OP
OP
Bike
92 st1100
STOC #
Yesterday I received my submersible fuel line. Unfortunately, even though the package was labeled 5/16, The actual hose was labeled 3/8. So i sent them back and I am waiting on the correct stuff. In the mean time, I attached the quantum pump to the honda regulator and ran it in a bucket of mineral spirits. I also wired up the original honda pump with the regulator. What I found out is that the quantum pump still puts out more pressure (visually inspected, no gages). So I believe Uncle Phil's external regulator is the best option for replacing the st1100 fuel pump. As soon as my correct fuel line arrives I will pursue this option. Happy New Year!!

OP
OP
Bike
92 st1100
STOC #
Just wanted to follow up. I installed the quantum pump with external regulator as illustrated by Uncle Phil. It took a couple key switches to get everything primed but then it started right up with the choke. I let it run long enough to idle without the choke then gave the throttle a few twists to check for reaction since it’s been down for so long. I was pleased that it has great response. I waited a half hour to restart and again it needed the choke but then settled out. So far the alternator is done and the fuel system is done. Next will be the coolant system and timing belt. Parts are supposed to arrive this week.

Top Bottom