94 Standard UK ST1100R model restoration

Bike
1994 ST1100
Hi All,
I have today been busy with the spanners and removed both front forks. The calipers are still on the bike at the minute hanging from the frame on a bent wire coat-hanger, so the forks are bare. Here's the thing though (and I apologise for my proper English spelling!) ;), I have found on the left fork in the caliper mounting bracket upper bolt hole there is a needle roller bearing? This bearing is pretty second-hand! i.e. frucked! I cannot find any mention of it in my Clymer manual nor in the model specific Honda manual. Is the bearing supposed to be in there? I can imagine it must serve a purpose since the caliper mounting bracket activates the anti-dive so there is rotation every time the brakes are applied.
I wonder has anybody happened on this issue before?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Your understanding of the bearing's function is correct. First I've heard of one needing to be replaced. I didn't respond right away, thinking I'd find the part number for you later when I got to my desktop at home, assuming someone didn't beat me to it. Well... it's "later" [-]but darned if I can find the part[/-]. The pivot bolt collar that fits there is shown on page 13-8 in my Honda Service manual. The needle bearing and the collar is the only other place on the ST1100 (besides the final drive's Pinion Joint/rear drive shaft splines) that calls for 3% moly grease.

[-]I'll keep looking for the part number... Anybody...? Martin... George...?[/-] edit: see next post.

John

via iPhone 4S

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
OK, found it [Doh! right there on the fork fiche] and confirmed with my old Parts Manual CD:

91071-ML7-003 BEARING (1422)

Dang, It's expensive ($22 USD)! The collar is only $6, ha:

51536-ML7-000 COLLAR, L. FR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EuroPanUK
Bike
1994 ST1100
Thanks John. I found the part number myself about an hour and a half ago on 'Partsfish'. Thanks for the help though - I was beginning to wonder if tumbleweed would appear to accompany the noise of the wind!
If it's $22 around your part of the world then it's probably ?22 around here.....!
:/

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
[-]I'll keep looking for the part number... Anybody...? Martin... George...?[/-]
LOL! I don't sit on it 24/7 ;-)

Inspection and maintenance of that bearing seems to be covered in the Common Honda Motorcycle Workshop Manual, thus not explicit mentioned in the ST1100 w/shop booklet.
But like a bunch of other parts in that area is it to be checked and lubed on any occasion you get your hands on it.
Finding it corroded and worn down, seems and indication of a 'not ST1100 specific'-service in the past... especially when considering the (winter) road conditions the mounts are used in there...

OP
OP
EuroPanUK
Bike
1994 ST1100
It's one part amongst many which I need to replace/repair. I have spent this evening finding the ID's for the parts I need to replace. Partsfish were very useful.
With regards to the, "indication of a 'not ST1100 specific'-service in the past", the bike has been unloved and languishing in a cold damp barn for nearly 2 years. I also know the PO quite well and he is a great one for doing the minimum necessary to keep thing rolling. For example, the front brake switch packed up at some point so rather than spend ?10 to get a replacement he fitted a 'non-standard' switch by using a too-long bolt with a couple of Nyloc nuts as spacers. I confess that I am baffled by anybody that tight! (UK slang 'tight' = 'mean-spirited'/'unwilling to spend ANY money'/'Scottish')
OK! OK! Scots are not like that at all!

Thanks for the help. :)

Top Bottom