95/96 ST 1100 Carb help !!!

Hello folks,

We (both my wife and I) could sure use some help with her 96' ST carb issue. We purchased a 95/96 ST from a co-worker who seldom rode rode the bike as it has 21K on it. It started with choke "on" and seems to have the idle circuit plugged from sitting even though he ran Stabil at storage time. After warming -up it runs great but only problem was a cold start and idle until warm. So, we purchased the bike and thought I'd pull the carb's with a pilot jet plugged as it ran fine after warm. Just for grin's I pulled the plug's and checked the fuel filter, air cleaner, sub-filter and all looked good. I di check on a cold start to the exhaust temps and looked like cylinder 1+3 were colder than 2+4. So I'm thinking the pilot jet on 1+4 are plugged and go through with removing the set. After removing all of the pilot screws, they seemed to be clear? I bit the bulit and ordered the "Air Screw adjustment tool" that wad "D" shaped hoping this is the only other spot for a clog? The bike runs great after 12-1500 rpm and good after warms-up. Does seem like the idle screw is in "clockwise" to idle and when shifting through gears the tach speeds up about 4-500 rpm. Also, stupid question, but, what does the air-cut diaphram/valve do? Holy smoke's, thought I knew something about carbs but throwing me a new bone! Sure would appreciate any ideas! Thank you very much!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
From the Honda Common Service Manual:

AIR CUT-OFF VALVE

When the throttle lever is turned in the "close" direction and engine braking is applied, the fuel mixture becomes lean. An ignited air/fuel mixture is discharged into the exhaust pipe, resulting in afterburn. To prevent this afterburn, the air cut-off valve shuts the air passage to the slow jet to temporarily make the mixture rich.

With the throttle valve closed and the vacuum in the main bore increased, vacuum in the air cut-off valve also increases and moves the diaphragm to shut the air passage.

With the vacuum in the main bore decreased, the spring moves the diaphragm backward and opens the air passage.

HTH

Edit: the valves are clearly shown and identified in the Honda Service Manual carb schematic. If your PAIRs check out (and they will) or they are removed, and you still have bad 'decel burble' or actual afterburn ("backfiring"), odds are you have an air cut-off valve(s) problem.

Edit2: what's a 95/96 ST1100...?

Regards, John

Last edited:
OP
OP
John,

Appreciate the air cut-off valve read! We have an I.D. Showing 10/95 model but have the air cooled alternator that I understood was on 96' models? Title shows 96'.

Thanks again for the help!

Regards,

Hoosierrider

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
"10/95" is the month and year of manufacture, October 1995. If you look at the bottom of your VIN plate I bet it says in large characters:
"1996 MOTORCYCLE MODEL". You own a USA 1996 ST1100 motorcycle in beautiful Pure Pearl Red. :)

My 1991 ST1100, in Sparkling Silver Metallic, was made in 10/90.

Regards, John :STOC: Ten Fifty-Eight

Top Bottom