95 ST1100 running rich

Hi All, new to forum and hope that someone can help with a problem I am experiencing with my recently aquired ST. The bike is running rich and is smokey and smells rich. the bike is low milage 35K miles and has been serviced by honda nearly every year since new!! It runs really well and fuel consumption is quite good despite this.Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
What makes a bike run rich?

1.Dirty air filter
2.Fuel enrichment circuit (choke) is not closing
3.Carb needle and seat leaking
4.Carb float levels too low

I'm betting #2., but start with #1.

Ralph Sims

OP
OP
Thanks Ralph, checked air filter-all ok, will investigate 2 to 4 in due course. Checked plugs today and middle electrode spot on but outer rim a little black. What's amazing is that its returning 55mpg and goes really well. You only really notice smoke in dark but a little in day but you can smell it when you pull up at a a junction. thanks again.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
If the PO fitted a K&N filter make sure the foam sock around the element has been removed. Another thought, a bad vacuum fuel valve diaphragm can leak fuel directly into the intake for cylinder #3. How does that plug look compared to the others?
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
OP
All plugs look identical. Filter is a paper type and doesn't seem to have anything around the outside. Thank you for your help.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks Ralph, checked air filter-all ok, will investigate 2 to 4 in due course. Checked plugs today and middle electrode spot on but outer rim a little black. What's amazing is that its returning 55mpg and goes really well. You only really notice smoke in dark but a little in day but you can smell it when you pull up at a a junction. thanks again.
55mpg!!!!:bow1:
DON'T MESS WITH IT. I only get between 35-42 mpg and my plugs are perfect color and no residue in the exhaust pipes. Maybe my right wrist has something to do with it;)

Ralph Sims

OP
OP
I'll check my maths! I am getting used to the bike and am taking it really easy so that might explain the high mpg. During the day I struggle to see the smoke but at dusk or in the rain, it's a lot more evident. thanks again

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I'd <3 55mpg!

My bike is running fine, and I'm averaging around 41mpg. Of course, I ride mostly highway at 70MPH average for my commuting duties.

More city/urban riding would probably result in better economy, but alas, I have to use a highway to get anywhere from home.

OP
OP
Will do a consumption check this weekend and report back. Thanks to all for comments.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I also record every fillup, so I have empirical data as to my fuel economy. I use MyMileMarker.com and upload data from my smartphone at the pump.

OP
OP
I guess imperial. I am in Wales and I have to convert litres to gallons. 5.2 litres = 1 gallon. I grew up on gallons and then they changed it to conform with our european neighbours :(

Avtrician

Ahhh. 1 imp Gallon = 4.55 Litres 25L= 5.499229 I Gallons

Unless you are using US litres :crackup

OP
OP
Ok, thanks for the questions on gallons etc. Having used the correct units etc I can now confidently say that I have averaged 48 imperial mpg on my last tankfull and about 50 of those miles were with the wife on the back and a top box. Not bad I guess. I am leaning towards the "leave it alone advice" at the moment.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Ok, thanks for the questions on gallons etc. Having used the correct units etc I can now confidently say that I have averaged 48 imperial mpg on my last tankfull and about 50 of those miles were with the wife on the back and a top box. Not bad I guess. I am leaning towards the "leave it alone advice" at the moment.
I have been getting just 41mpg consistently so If I could average 48 like you I'd be more than happy,though as a previous poster said my fondness for speed is probably a big issue.
I replaced the thermostat earlier this year as it was stuck open,but it didn't really make much difference,also checked the choke cable and it was working ok.

Top Bottom