96,000 mile service not too expensive

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I got my 97ST back from the dealer today. They did the 96,000 mile sevice, timing belt replacement, rear rubber dampers, replaced rear bearings and rear wheel flange all for less than $1,700. Not cheap but it should be ready for a lot more miles. Now I have a bit of insite on what the other bikes will cost. I will replace the grips and foot pegs then it will look almost new.

Bike
2006 ST1300
$1700 for a half day's work and a couple hundred bucks worth of parts?:eek::eek::eek::eek: I'm in the wrong business. In the job I just left, I got paid $125 to replace an entire cage engine. Wow. If they did the valves, call it a day's work...still a heck of a lot of coin.

OP
OP

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
Parts alone were almost $900. Compared to a 12,000 mile service on my LT at $1,400 it was mighty good. Of course that is one reason the LT is gone.

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
Money well-spent Arnie! Being able to do anything beyond basic maintenance is not a prerequisite for riding.
Example: I've known amazing guitar players who couldn't do much beyond tune their guitars, but man could they play!
Riding is a completely different skill set than wrenching.
Have fun riding! Looks like you'll have some nice weather coming next week.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I guess its the location...people where I live are very frugal. I almost lost a customer after I did a major brake job on a Ford F550 dump truck. Salt corroded lots of parts, resulting in stuck calipers. The job required 4 rotors, F&R pads, 2 calipers, a full cleaning of everything & brake bleed/fluid change, and while I was in there I replaced the 2 leaking rear axle seals. Separate on the list, but done at the same time were 2 front axle U-joints, 2 ball joints, and clean & grease the front hubs. We made about $300 in labor after handing him a $1500 bill, and he hit the roof. I couldn't imagine handing someone a bill like that for the work that was done on the ST...but I guess as long as the customer is happy, all is well.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
We made about $300 in labor after handing him a $1500 bill, and he hit the roof.
Folks also often ignore the milage covered and what they'd done with the thing...

But also over here not uncomon to ride the crap out a 20K motorcycle to then moan about maintenance costs and the rates of regular wear parts like brake pads or tires...
And performing some little care now and can also prevent a lot aftermath.
Defective drive splines leave quite a dent in the valet, even more if also the ring gear is messed up...
So a little frequent nursing with Moly 40 or 60 can help saving a lot... same on lubing the wheel bearings seals, keep the pressure washer at distance, etc...

In the workshop I always have to smile about the scenes with those blokes going horrified upon picking up their totally worn down, beaten up no-name scooter, they'd obtained for like € 990,- at some food discounter or the hardware store...
Two new tires installed, both brakes new pads and overhaul, transmission belt and flyweights replaced, front new wheel bearings, forks overhauled and new seal, new head bearings, 3 bulbs replaced, yadda-yadda.... makes € 486,- please...
'all I wanted was that damn annual MOT inspection!'... well, it has to be in road safe condition for that, doesn't it...

And the bloke at the service desk is a cool cat, responding to their moan and whine with lines like: '... well son, this all evens out once you buy a GL1800... now please proceed to the nice cashier lady over there...' ;-)

Once one of those scooter homies tried to force me into conversation for taking up on his grouse about how bad and mean the world is...

Pointing on the ST I said 'this is a motorcycle' fished out my bill, explaing 'and this is a bill for two new, real tires installed, plus an MOT inspection which it passed with flying colours, for only 265,-, because I take care of my mount, so its in perfect shape and road safe at all times...'
Didn't do much for helping his case though, but the service bloke amplified it with a simple '...see?!...' ;-)

Top Bottom