A dilemma: Restore my ST or buy a different bike

OP
OP
jwumpus
You are correct. I have the ability, the desire, and the resources but I don't have the time. I've been reading about what I would need to do carving out that sort of time is not a realistic possibility right now.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You are correct. I have the ability, the desire, and the resources but I don't have the time. I've been reading about what I would need to do carving out that sort of time is not a realistic possibility right now.
If there is nothing basically wrong with the bike, don't make the assumption that everything has to be done at once.
It sometimes takes me a couple of years to get a 'new to me' ST1100 sorted to my liking.
A 'new' bike does not mean 'no work' because you will probably have to fuss with it also to get it where you want it to be.
But as we say down here - "Ain't my monkey, ain't my circus" so do as it suits you.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The ST1100 and ST1300 are 300k plus mile bikes. They are built extremely well and are a joy to ride. They will last several life times for most.
Those who know, know they are priceless. They will be more valuable in the future.
People are restoring/maintaining 100 year old bikes and are still riding them....
Do not let the age of your bike deter you. It is still worth 10 times what you could sell it for.
Sorry to the 100+ folks here drooling over their keyboards hoping that you would sell it to one of them....

Bike
R1200rt
if your just going to do day rides and short trips it will be fine but if your planning some long distance touring get the newer bike.. just my opinion . Many here do our own work and that keeps maintenance costs low but, as someone stated the alternator or cooling system has issues on a trip it could get ugly.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I think I'm going to have to sell. I can do the work, or the majority of it, myself and I'm not concerned about the money. The thing is that I get attached to things and hate to get rid of them. I've got an 05 Grand Cherokee with 200k miles on. It's been meticulously maintained and might outlive me. The thing I don't have is time. I just took a new job that is going to take even more of my attention than the previous one and then there's the new deck and patio to build and trips to take and etc etc etc. Well, that kind of sucks. That's not the conclusion I wanted to arrive at.
I hear you. I'm the same way as I hate to get rid of my old 05 corolla with 228K miles that I bought new. Or my ST1100 I bought new in 2000. But as much as these vehicles have grown on me I can't or won't spend an unlimited amount of money on them. One of my fears on the ST1100 is most all parts are original so when thing go wrong like timing belt or split hoses on the highway well.....lets just say it ain't going to be pretty. So I may have the funeral for my bike at the BMW or Yamaha dealer. I have more than gotten my money's worth on both these vehicles.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The thing is that I get attached to things and hate to get rid of them.
I actually understand this perfectly…I’m the same way, that’s why my vehicles (2 cars and 2 bikes) are old. They work very well and I’ve put a lot of time and effort into them. I don’t want to have seller’s remorse by selling a really nice car or bike for not much money, and feel like I gave it away. Granted, the bikes aren’t worth too much these days, but I do like them. It would be easier if they were expensive to maintain or breaking down all the time (they’re very reliable).

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I don’t know; but if you’re sitting on the fence this long,let her go.Buy another bike to love.Let someone else enjoy your old ride.
I’m doing this this spring.Wife is done with the pillion thing.

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
I was in a very similar situation a few months ago. Trying to decide whether to keep the ST11 or sell it and put the money towards something else. Long story short I decided to keep the ST and spend a bit of money making it the bike for me. So far this year I had a new racetech front end installed and a new Wilbers rear made to my specs. I have my name on the list for a new Russell Day Long in June. I just got home from 4 days on the road, did about 1200 miles and road some fantastic rides. I am very happy with my decision and know that once the new seat is ready come summer, I'm going to be keeping the ST for a very very long time. Good luck with your decision!

Bike
2009 ST1300
you begin your thread [and it's your thread, so far be it for me] with I think your adjective, [and I failed english, french, social studies.. where was I going with that...] but it seems as though you have some... how can I...
You used the word shiny or sparkling; which betrays a love of the bike.
In my opinion, and of course, I'll concede that opinions are like.. well the'yre kind of like.. well, they're kind of like belly buttons... well, I hope you have one of those
It's a long road to restore any motorcyle / car / house / bus / human being, none the less or even worse; boat [ don't get me started on boats ] you do betray a love of the motorcycle.

Bike
2009 ST1300
That's why my garage is longer than my house ... ;)
At the end of the day, the ST1100s are worth very little to the general public because of their age.
My ST1100s are worthless to most folks except to me. :biggrin:
You know I thought about this what you said here today; the other day, well, anyway, who cares, point being... have you really got four STs?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You know I thought about this what you said here today; the other day, well, anyway, who cares, point being... have you really got four STs?
Actually I have Seven - Four Daily Riders and Three Complete Parts Bikes.

The Fleet 02.jpg

Uncle Phil - The Bikes

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow! 4 sets of mirror deflectors.
I never got the fairing edges because they would get in the way of using my original Highway Wings.
All four bikes are set up exactly alike with all the same equipment and additions - down to the tool bags in the right saddlebag.
That way I don't have to move anything from bike to bike except me (and put on a Russell Daylong Saddle if it is a long trip). :biggrin:

OP
OP
jwumpus
Lots of great insight and suggestions here. Thank you very much everyone for all your input! After a great deal of debate, I have come to the conclusion that replacement is the best option. This goes against my nature because I have never been what you would call a practical person. I've been going through transitioning to the new job and it has made me even more aware of how tight I am, and will be, for time for at the least the next couple of years. So I'll be listing it here, and maybe at the other place, in the next few weeks. Now to figure out the replacement. I'm thinking FJR or R1200RT. My wife said that I really need to replace my Jeep before I buy another motorcycle. Not a chance of that happening so I suppose it's time for shopping.

Top Bottom