SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dang, so sorry to hear this!

Prayers of comfort for you, his family and friends!

RIP

Bike
2000 ST1100
We all think it can never happen to us. A friend went to the BMWRA rally with a bunch of guys from our club. While riding with several of them yesterday afternoon, a deer jumped out of the woods, knocked him into the oncoming lane of traffic where he was struck by a car and killed. I'm devastated. This was a wonderful guy, friendly, enthusiastic with a contagious smile. Steve, we will all miss you.
No matter how careful we are our sport of motorcycle riding is not without risk. Sorry for your friend and his family. If he is one of us he would not of wanted it any other way as if it is our time let it be while were are doing what we love.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Stinkin' forest rats. Sorry for your loss and my condolences to his loved ones.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Pretty tough to prepare for every eventuality.
Reminds us, as does Keith, to cherish our relationships, and not take them for granted. Friends, as well as family.
"Tell your dear ones you love them."... Ibiketohavefun sig line
Used without permission, but it's appropriate and I doubt Keith would mind.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Reminds us, as does Keith, to cherish our relationships, and not take them for granted. Friends, as well as family.
"Tell your dear ones you love them."... Ibiketohavefun sig line
Used without permission, but it's appropriate and I doubt Keith would mind.
I concur, Mark. Well said.

I too am sorry to hear about the death of one of our fellow motorcycists. But this accident raises a very interesting question about in which part of the lane to ride. I know people who travel as far from the right side of the road as possible when in deer country on the theory that risk of an accident is reduced by the greater distance from the threat of an animal crossing the road from the right. I do not dispute that theory but I guess there are always exceptions and one is never really safe on a motorcycle. I think this is a rare accident where the collision with the deer caused the rider to be in oncoming traffic. Would riding closer to the right side of the lane/road have saved a life?

Top Bottom