A heat question, your thoughts please

STOC #
After riding my wifes ST I noticed the heat issue. Some have suggested cutting the inner fairing to allow more air to pass.

Most all of the heat comes from the heads and headers, sooo what if any damage could be caused by using header wrap or a header blanket that they use on race bikes and race car headers. I know the wrap does trap the heat in the headers. Do you think it would raise the head tempeture any if at all?

I am only talking wraping from the header flange down to where the pipes make the bend rearward at the bottom of the fairing. This would do nothing for the heat off the heads only from the exhaust.

I know header wrap can and will make the exhaust flow faster and in some cases add some power because of exhaust flow speeds.

I am not suggesting that anyone try this, only your thoughts on if this might help the heating issue.

This is one of the products I am talking about.
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/bgcq_exhaust_wrap.php

Jim

A search would help you a lot. We have discussed this a plenty here. :)

Specifically to your point however you will find that using a header tape such as that will drastically reduce the life of the pipe as it will hold moisture and heat in against the metal.

Header tape is great in race applications where you are looking for that extra tenth of a horsepower and are OK with the tradeoff, but I am prettty sure you don't want to use it on a street bike.

There were a couple of ST1300s that had drilled out the inner cowls (well okay one of them was done at AZTechSTOC.

This might be a better method than taping the heads.

Curious to know what year ST your wife rides?
I haven't had a heat issue when I've ridden Chris's STeed.

Mark

Remove the inner fairing liners for a short period of time and go for a ride when it is hot and humid. You will be amazed how much cooler the bike is and then you can make the final decision to cut down the inner fairing liners. It is a simple, cost effective solution I have used it on three ST1300s. It takes about 15 minutes for a new owner and a shop manual to remove the liners. I have attached before and after liner pictures to review.

Dennis

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Dennis. I got your pictures and since the forcast predicts rain on Sat. I'll do mine.

Mike.

I've got header wrap on mine, it doesn't hold the heat, sends it out the back,as far as holding moisture I want to see any moisture stand up to 600 degree temps and the headers are stainless steel and will not rust, header wrap works good and gives more power.

805gregg said:
I've got header wrap on mine, it doesn't hold the heat, sends it out the back,as far as holding moisture I want to see any moisture stand up to 600 degree temps and the headers are stainless steel and will not rust, header wrap works good and gives more power.

Not to be argumentative but I see your point. My understand is that when the bike is sitting is the problem. In the cooling process moisture builds up between the wrap and the header and eventually softens the metal. Something to do with it being two different materials, expansion/contraction rates, and reaction between them.

I would love to see someone post up long term, real world effects.

I was miserable in the summer in Florida and used ever mod available to ST owners, heat blanket/cut-outs/etc. I have since moved to New Mexico and haved noticed the heat, although I still have existing mods in-place. I wish enough of us could get together to persuade Honda engineers to address the issue. I have to admit those who don't have heat issues haven't lived in the hot humid south or only commute five miles to work:04biker: . Good luck.

Instead of running the risks associated with wrapping the headers, I along with Dave Otto (Highrider) has our pipes Jet Coated (see pics). While it has not been warm enough to test the issues, we're guessing this will likely help with keeping the heat from radiating. We'll see what happens with the next "hot" ride. Hey, if nothing else, we got the coolest lQQking pipes one has ever seen on the an ST...
DSC00007.JPG DSC00008.JPG DSC00009.JPG DSC00027.JPG

Back
Top Bottom