A needy psycho-sexual question regarding valve clearance

I'm planning to leave for Mexico on the 19th (if it stops raining). My ST1300 has 55,000 miles on it. I have all plastic off for other reasons.

I suppose I should check valve clearance before I go, but:

1) If I find a tight valve, then I know it will be at least 2 weeks before I can get the right shim
2) Putting the cams back in the right spot will be about the limit of my vision/ability
3) The bike sounds okay
4) What's the real danger of taking a trip with a tight valve?

5) The psycho-sexual/emotional well being of this is...am I better off going while knowing I have a tight valve, or living in ignorance and trusting to god!?

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
If you have all the plastic off, it's not hard to pull the valve covers and check clearances. You may find the valves all within acceptable limits. At least you would know one way or another after checking them...

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
LOL.....I understand your psycho overthinking thought process. :)

I would feel better at least knowing what the valve clearances were so I recommend checking them. But if your bike is working good, you're probably fine for this upcoming trip.
MOST engines do not even need adjustment at your mileage and even some with much more mileage than you are still good. My engine was not the norm I guess as I needed 13 out of 16 valves changed at around 50,000 kms I think. Six valves below min spec and 7 at min spec. While I was in there, I adjusted all of them.
The valve clearances have a window of .002". Intake valves are set between .005" to .007" Exhaust between .009" to .011" If you get a result of the min, middle or max clearance, you're still good. If your clearance dropped .001" above or below the set range, then you should get in there and shim it to spec within a reasonable amount of time.
Usually tight valves can make your bike hard to start when hot and loose valves obviously, are noisy.
If you do decide to check your valves, be careful when putting the valve covers back on. There's a rubber mat above the throttle bodies that leans over to the valve covers and can get pinched on install. OR, in my case , the valve cover gasket must have rolled over a little because when I started the bike after doing that big valve job, lots of oil sprayed into the V on top then graciously leaked all over the floor. When I peaked in over the valve covers with a flash light with the engine running, I saw oil spraying from the top of the one of the valve covers. :(

Let us know what you decide to do. :)

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If you wanna know how your engine is doing simply pull the plugs and look at them.
:WCP1:

Bike
2008 ST1300
With all the plastic off, you can check the clearances in 15 or 20 minutes, which I would. Assuming you have to track down shims or wait on them, I wouldn't do an adjustment unless they were actually well out of spec. Probably, they'll be fine, and you'll have peace of mind in Mexico. Plus, record your measurements to compare to at 100k and see if they've shifted or set.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
With all the plastic off, you can check the clearances in 15 or 20 minutes, which I would. Assuming you have to track down shims or wait on them, I wouldn't do an adjustment unless they were actually well out of spec. Probably, they'll be fine, and you'll have peace of mind in Mexico. Plus, record your measurements to compare to at 100k and see if they've shifted or set.
This ^^^^^

The valves are easy to check and should be checked by 55,000 miles for a baseline and not by "looking at the spark plugs". Even if you find one or some at the limit of tolerance or even .001" under find comfort in Honda's good margin of engineering and go on the trip as planned. Honda is very conservative and this engine is not highly stressed. If you don't check and you are like me you will be constantly wondering on the trip about the clearances. Shim under bucket valve trains wear so that clearances eventually tighten and a tight valve can cause hard starting, uneven idling, and worst case burned valves which have been reported here. If the engine is running great most likely the valves are not so far out but I would still want to know such details about my machines.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I agree with the last two..... but if you're not going to reshim, then take it a step further..... Ignorance is bliss, nothing bad's gonna happen. Check them when you get back from your trip. Besides, you shouldn't be doing major maintenance just before a big trip anyway (just my opinion).

In 128000 miles ive done 1 valve. But I check em anyway. Probably get a shim kit in 5 days mol. Just hope its not the right side needs adjusting....

Top Bottom