A question for those with the HF tire changer

STOC #
I just finished changing my tires. Pretty easy using that huge bar that they include. But for the life of me, I cannot see the point of the overhanging arm. I just took it off and allowed the center rod to slide down to the bottom. It worked just fine and I had 360 degrees of freedom.

I can see how it is designed to hold the center rod but I really don't see why that is necessary. Anyone?

The only thing I can possibly think of is that, without the central rod being held by the overhanging arm, you are putting pressure on the inside of the wheel as you pry the tire off.

G

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Hey!

Good to hear it worked for you...

I never looked at doing it without that overhanging piece... I'll look at it the next time and get back to you...

Mark

Bike
07 ST1300A
How is the HF tire changer working for you? They have the changer on sale now, and thinking real serious about getting the changer w/mc adapter, and the Mojo no mar tire bar.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If the center rod does not flex when you pry against it using the big bar, you are probably fine. I use it as a leverage point, but I also have the MOJO bar - which is a great investment if you replace the end allen screw with a grade 8 and cut it off so no threads are sticking out of the end.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The only thing I can see the center support is for is when you need to pry against the center rod at an angle that is higher off the tire, you will have more support. I have bent my center bar, not using the center support under those conditions.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The only thing I can see the center support is for is when you need to pry against the center rod at an angle that is higher off the tire, you will have more support. I have bent my center bar, not using the center support under those conditions.
That wouldn't be good for me... I use that bar as my balancing bar (on a couple of jackstands)...

Thanks,
Mark

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Those are OUTSTANDING modifications to the HF changer!
:bow1: :bow1: :bow1:

I will be cutting up one of Chris's cutting boards as soon as I can steal one from the kitchen...:cool:

The ones Chris has are all different colors... Do you think she'll notice the next time she walks by the HF mounted in the garage? :eek:

Wish me luck!!! :rolleyes:

Mark

Bike
07 ST1300A
:lol: I thought they were pretty cool too. Good luck. Post some pics when you're done. :cool:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
:lol: I thought they were pretty cool too. Good luck. Post some pics when you're done. :cool:
I'm going to see if I can duplicate his work so I'll just take his pictures and photo shop in the color changes... :D

Mark

Bike
07 ST1300A
I put a set of innertubes into the front wheels of my son's 4WD front end loader, worked great for that also.
You were able to break the beads with it? Last weekend I had to take a front wheel off my 4wd JD tractor to the tire store to have a new tube put in, as I couldnt get one of the beads broken. I would have liked to been able to do that at home.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Didn't see the question until today...

I don't now how Dan balanced them... I'll ask and post his answer...

Mark

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I have low profile 16" tires on my Mazda Protege 5 and changed the tires on it. It has aluminum wheels like the ST and Wing and I had to put wood blocks on the bottom and top to get the tire in the valley as I brought the lever bar around.

Top Bottom