A test ride, a quick trip, a flat tire twice.

Bike
2008 ST1300
I've had a hankering curiosity about a Kwak Concours 14 for a while, and a dealer about 70 miles away has a 16 grey with top box and less than 4k miles on it, so on Friday I rode my ST up and took a look. The price is high, at 9k, but seems good for the bike (under kbb a fair bit), although I believe it will snow here this week so I suppose the season is coming to a close.

The ride up was fine, about 60° and sunny, accompanied by my father on his Versys 1000. About 50 miles on I81, including going through Syracuse at rush hour. I worked in Syracuse for years, but haven't in about 6 years, and was unpleasantly surprised by how much traffic there was. I don't remember the Syr metro area being so busy, but it felt like NYC. I live in the country, and ride exclusively in the country, and don't miss three to four lanes of edgy goatee teenagers in their new BMWs making fourteen lane changes per mile, sans signal of course.

At one point a guy in a CRV was camped in the left lane at about 75, and we began to ease by him in the right lane. Well, at 107 he was still next to us, so we just backed off and went 70. Having never driven a CRV, I assume it's not like a Corvette where you might find yourself accidentally going 100+. What a pecker.

We arrive at the dealership and the Connie is out front. Pretty bike, looks small next to the ST and the tall Versys. Pretty distinct boot scuffs on both saddlebags, not visible in the pictures. Dark clutch and brake fluids. Original tires, front visibly feathered and lumpy on the left side. The dealership guy brings out the FOB (only one, other one apparently AWOL.) The bike belonged to a man who had died(RIP), and the estate sold it back to the dealer. I suspect that it sat for a couple of years, at least.

Sitting on the Connie, I was surprised in a few ways. It felt very compact, and light. Clutch and throttle very light and smooth. Bike started easy like the st, clutch totally out at low speeds no problem. Immediately felt like a good ergonomic fit for me. I was expecting the Connie to be more sporty and less comfortable, but somehow it fit me really well, just immediately pretty intuitive.

The handling under 50mph is pretty bad. The st will go from doing perfect figure 8s in two parking spaces, to scraping pegs at 90, all day long. The 14 just didn't feel intuitive to handle at low speeds. I am assuming that this is due to the tires, but I've never ridden one before. This was my biggest issue.

It was 50-60° F out. The temp gauge would reliably show maybe 30% moving, and 80% stopped in traffic. I was concerned by this (stuck tstat?) But later research shows that this may be a C14 thing. Hmm. Stopped idle, even after ten minutes of riding, 1450ish rpm. Seems too high. Makes for a pronounced clunk into first.

Throttle is light and smoother than the ST, drive line is excellent. Very good shaft system. Motor is buzzier than the admittedly smooth ST. Engine was good, but not really mind blowing. Maybe 10% stronger than the ST. The first time I kind of gunned it in second, my father saw quite a bit of smoke come out of the exhaust. (We had been riding for at least 10 minutes, probably 20 or more.)

Brakes felt good, not super strong like written about in magazines. Maybe pads not bedded properly. Rear brake took a lot of pressure to give noticable braking (it could activate the abs though) in either coactive braking mode. Maybe delinked by previous owner? I found the brake combination to be not intrusive at all, contrary to media reports (or maybe this bike was delinked).

I took it on the highway for a few miles and opened it up getting on. It is a fast bike. Very effortless to 2x the interstate limit and beyond. The aerodynamics are phenomenal, smooth steady air even at super speed,even with top box. The ST beats me up with dirty air much over 80mph, especially in cross winds or passing traffic. It's not horrible, it just becomes fatiguing. I don't typically ride at those speeds, but if I intended to do a lot of interstate or Autobahn work, the Connie really excels there.

I brought the bike back perplexed. I expected it to be fast, which it was. (Nice, but not super high on my list of priorities) I was surprised how comfortable I was on it immediately. The riding position really worked for me, better than the ST. I would much rather maneuver the st from 20 to 50 mph. Stop and go, the C14 was very narrow to stand over, seat low, bars close. Felt 25% smaller and lighter at red lights, which I didn't expect. (I'm 6', 34" inseam, 210lbs, fairly strong)

My biggest issue was that I felt like I was test riding an abandoned used bike with the little used bike issues. One fob, unlisted scratches, high idle, square tires. I had enough cash in my pocket to ride the bike home, and if it blew me away I would have. I suspect that a tune up and a pair of good tires might just do that, but I don't know because I've never ridden a proper one.

I told the dealership my thoughts and told them that I'd think about it. Riding home in the cut and thrust traffic, the ST felt very homey. We did some questionable riding across gridlock traffic, on the sidewalk, through some barriers and into the back of a gas station. I felt confident doing it on the ST, not sure if I would have on the Connie.

The wife and kids are about 150 miles away in the Adirondacks (thus the freedom to motorcycle shop). Saturday shows a high in the mid 60s, so I decided to day trip up north and take a 3 to 4 hundred mile test ride on my ST. Tires checked, cardo charged, various layers, drinks, snacks packed in the bags. I depart and cover the first 45 or so miles on scenic and twisty ST-26, seeing maybe ten cars total, with only one or two going the same direction. Beautiful fall ride. I stop for a pee in the bushes, snap a picture of the ST, and proceed north.received_490560689735199.jpeg

About twenty miles later I'm traveling over the elevated bridges through Utica, ST12, two lanes in each direction. Cardo boops and interrupts my music. It's my father in law saying he will ride along on his Vulcan (about an hour and a half too late.) As we're talking, I'm approaching a group of Harleys in the right lane, and deciding if I will tuck in and cruise, or motor by with a wave. As I come down off of the bridge, I feel a hint of Pan weave. But I'm going 70 or so, and left the top box home. Crosswinds? By about three or four seconds, I have a serious case of spaghetti handling, and coast to a stop in the Vee of an exit lane and the two highway lanes. Uh oh.

Back tire, T31GT, flatty flat. 0psi. I put the bike on the center stand (much, much harder with a flat.) 3/4" slit right in the middle, maybe 1/8" wide. Quite a puncture, much larger than a nail. Maybe something sticking up from an expansion joint. Luckily, my plug kit and compressor are in the garage. I'm skeptical if it's a pluggable hole anyway. A phone call to the local dispatch directs me to a friendly tow guy who agrees to attempt a plug. He's there in 15 minutes, plugs the tire and airs it up. We both look at it and go "hmm." The fella says good luck, I'd go pretty slow on that, and goes to leave, declining a fee. I gave him $40, saving $5 for the next emergency. Beacon Body in Utica, super nice guy, came out on a Saturday and rescued me.

I decide I better head home rather than up north, as I'm maybe halfway there and running out of luck. I hit the exit, do the cloverleaf, and head south. Just as I hit the highway bridge, spaghetti, it's what's for dinner. Again, maybe five or ten seconds. I decide to run it flat, as I'm not willing to stop on the elevated bridge. I go several miles at about 35mph with my four ways on, until I can finally get off the bridge, and pull into U-Haul. Convenient. Rim still ok, plug gone, T31GT very flat but thankfully stiff sidewalls seemed to save the rim and make limping somewhat possible.

U-Haul home, about $350 once I buy straps, insurance, fuel. A phone call to pops, bring the trailer, and four hours in the U-Haul parking lot: priceless.
received_788042192487262.jpeg

Made it home at about the same time I would have on the bike, just getting dark. Appreciated lots of hospitality from strangers and kin alike. Thanks to the D Trooper who stopped and checked on me, the dispatcher who hooked me up, and the Beacon tow guy who dropped everything to help me out. And pops, who reliably bails me out, even as a grown man with his own kids to bail out.

So, should I buy a Concours?

Last edited:

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Glad you were able to tow it home safely. Great to have a Dad to ride with and can still come and haul you out of trouble. He’s going to use that in the future I’m sure…..

Doesn’t sound like you are in love with Kwai although you sound tired of the ST1300, of course I’m going to tell you that you need the ST1100, but maybe I am biased.:biggrin:

Keep looking?

The Honda gods already punished you with 2 flats, so that might be the best sign to keep the 13.
Nice write up, review and pictures.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Glad you were able to tow it home safely. Great to have a Dad to ride with and can still come and haul you out of trouble. He’s going to use that in the future I’m sure…..

Doesn’t sound like you are in love with Kwai although you sound tired of the ST1300, of course I’m going to tell you that you need the ST1100, but maybe I am biased.:biggrin:

Keep looking?

The Honda gods already punished you with 2 flats, so that might be the best sign to keep the 13.
Nice write up, review and pictures.
I guess we all need something... oddly, i have no interest in a diff bike i dont need buttons, air conditioning or reverse. I do need dependable. I run the cheapest gas i can find and never a cough or sputterSo, my red suits me just fine. The red will always be better than me.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
I agree. I've had 15 bikes over the years, ST is the best overall, had it the longest except for my KZ650. The ST checks more boxes at the same time than anything else. And the range is huge. I've always had a strong attraction to the vfr1200f, but the short range has always kept me from looking too seriously. I will say that the Connie just "fit like a glove" in a way that nothing has, maybe ever. The only thing I remember fitting so intuitively was my ZX12r, which had helibars, adjustable rearsets, and a tall screen. (I was also younger and more flexible, and probably experience some cloudy nostalgia about that bike.)

The first thing I did when I pulled away from the dealership on the ST was a slalom in my lane, and I thought "that's what a motorcycle should feel like."

When I bought my ST years ago from the original owner, my test ride was iffy too (also had mismatched tires, cupped front) but the deal was right and I went for it. Glad I did, and new tires totally fixed the handling. I wasn't sure on the ride home though.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Wow. Good detailed test ride! I like how you can remember all the pros and "Cons" of the ride, again, in great detail.

No one can tell you if it's the right bike for you. By the sounds of it though, you definitely appreciated some of the things the Connie had to offer. Since you have owned lots of bikes in the past, it sounds like you know what you want. I say go for it! Obviously the ST did it for you for a while but now you're starting to deal with some negatives. Trying something else might be more to your liking.

I've never really been in the financial position "yet", to own more than one bike at a time, but it would be nice to try a different one like that and compare them. You could add it to your current bike harem and get some time on that bike, then decide what's best for you in the future.

When I first decided to get a sport touring bike, the class I was considering consisted of the FJR, ST and the Connie. I test rode an FJR, too sporty , too much forward leaning. The ST fit me nicely. Nice upright seating position. I didn't get a chance to ride a Connie but did research them.
Maybe check with the Kawasaki site and get their opinions and any issues to be concerned about?

As far as smoke behind you when you hammered the throttle. What color was it? May have just been carbon. May have been black smoke meaning too rich of a mixture. Probably just needs plugs and an air filter. If it's blue, then look elsewhere. Ask your Dad what he saw.....

Sorry to hear about your flat tire. Good thing you didn't lose control and drop the bike when slowing down. That's what I worry about the most when going on a trip of any distance. A flat tire that damaged beyond plugging ruins a trip pretty fast. Nice to have daddy still able to help your out! :)

Good luck in your decision....

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Friend of mine has a C14. I rode it once. Absolutely on tip toes and scared to death I was going to drop it. Tall and heavy. I don't have the inseam you do.

Massive power and very fast. Lots of bells and whistles. Riding together I think the ST is quicker of the line. The Connie however has the horsepower for sustained high speed operation once the afterburners kick in.

His common complaints other than the barge like low speed handling are the poor lock-to-lock steering angle (won't U-turn without a K) and the traction control behavior on poor surfaces. Just when you want to give it the beans, it chops the throttle and leaves you hanging.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hmm. Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping that I could blame it on the tires, but maybe just nature of the beast. I agree that the st is stronger off the bottom. I also think that the Connie seems weaker than it is because top gear is soooo tall. All the people that complain the ST needs a 6th gear, it would be nice for flatland cruising, but the ST has wonderful roll on power in 5th. My dad's Versys has lots of power and is faster than our 1300s, but needs to drop a gear more often. If I'm in fifth and roll on full throttle, he needs two downshifts to close the gap. (If we both stay in it, I'm confident that the Versys whizzes by, but neither of us ride particularly fast).

Kevcules, I usually have two bikes, but they're usually two $1500-$4000 bikes. I try and make them fairly different (sportbike/Enduro/cruiser)

The way the economy is now, I have less money and bikes are more expensive. I would definitely keep the ST for a while and have both. I guess if I came up with a definitive winner, I'd sell the other. If it's the ST, I may find a clean abs model and switch over my farkles. My skinny @$$ has become spoiled by your old RDL

STOC #
I've test ridden several bikes since I've had the ST, mainly because I really want cruise control and I love motorcycles. A C14, BMW K1300, K1600 and RT1250, and an FJR and Connie despite those not having cruise. I love motorcycles period. I always ride STella to the test ride, and it's not the test ride there that clinches it, it's the ride home. If there's a bike good enough for me to trade, I haven't ridden it. The 1600 came closest, but no cigar. If I need 1400 miles in 2 days, STella is as good as it gets. MC Cruise is next on my list.

STOC #
Pretty sure it was a ‘12 or ‘13 1600GT. Great bike; súberb engine; nothing not to like. Maybe seat to pegs was a little tight (it may have had a custom lowered seat), but my statement was more a testament to the ST. It fits me like a glove and does everything really well.

Bike
2000 ST1100
You guys that have owned these ST Series of bikes know at the time of their manufacture there were no equals....especially the 1100 model:) Even today they fare well compared to their modern counterparts. Going to be quite a chore to find a different bike to replace my 22 year old 1100.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I guess we all need something... oddly, i have no interest in a diff bike i dont need buttons, air conditioning or reverse. I do need dependable. I run the cheapest gas i can find and never a cough or sputterSo, my red suits me just fine. The red will always be better than me.
... and tent pole, don't forget the tent poles... :rofl1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The downside not often thought of with the Connie would be service up keep.
They have several known issues with oil leaks, and are a pain in the butt to work on.
The headers also are vulnerable to damage and are often found with one head pipe crushed almost shut from speed bumps or hitting stuff on the highway.
The valve inspections are more often and more expensive.
And as pointed out, too much fancy electrical stuff to fail.
And the traction control is downright dangerous if you try and punch it to move or get out of the way of something.
The bike just stumbles and leaves you hanging etc.
We had a couple in service for a very short while, but nobody wanted to ride them.
The two officers that switched from ST’s to Connie’s switched back soon afterwards.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
It always takes a while to get used to a new bike, so it may not be completely fair to compare a new-to-you bike with something you know extremely well. When I switched from my ST1300 to my FJR1300, my first impression on the ergonomics weren't good. It's simply such a different feeling riding the FJR. Initially I described it as sitting ON the FJR while sitting IN the ST. I basically felt more integrated with the ST.

It didn't take long though for me to fall in love with the FJR - even the different seating style. It would be fun to ride an ST again and do the comparison now that I know both bikes, but that likely won't happen. Kind of the same with women/girlfriends I guess...

STOC #
It always takes a while to get used to a new bike, so it may not be completely fair to compare a new-to-you bike with something you know extremely well
Good point! Also tires, weather and even state of mind can skew a test ride for sure. I will say this…only my Tuono and ST were both love at first ride, and after all these years I respect how special that is.

Top Bottom