A very small niggle.

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Hardly worth mentioning really but it's something I noticed while in France recently, looking over the bike while in Annecy I noticed slight oil mist from the Left Rocker Box cover [forward facing] but nothing really detrimental that's seen in the oil level window so we continued our adventure.
Arrived home and being the anal OCD type person I am, I replaced the left side Rocker Box Cover gasket as this baby deserves the best and HAS to remain perfect!
But then a mate mentioned - was it the side stand side? and yes it was, so that makes some sense with oil pooling on that side against the inside edge of the gasket...
With the addition of a little Silicone sealant it looks like the mist has sealed.
So, just out of interest, has anyone else found the same?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes - one of the few times I trusted valve clearances to the dealer. They didn't apply sealant to the half moon, and the front of the engine casing was covered in light oil mist. The cam cam shaft cover can not apply any pressure to the rubber seal at the right angle between the flat face of the cylinder head and the top of each half circle. It has to have sealant.

Bike
2010 ST1300
This has been posted a number of times - while valve cover gasket leaks are infrequent, the are usually attributed to either lack of sealant in the half moon, catching the rubber skirt under the cover, or stripped out valve cover bolts. The last is easy to do if you don't make sure the bolts screw in easily with finger pressure before using a wrench and don't over torque them.

I am assuming your oil leak was on the ST, right? Not your Boss Hoss?

OP
OP
Mr.E

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Yes, the ST was the misty one.
The French Police are a nightmare when it comes to Bikes & Regulations and would have bankrupt me with on-the-spot fines as soon as I got into Calais due to my straight through slash-cut exhausts on the Hoss.
:beatdeadhorse:

Top Bottom