A visit to the Udvar-Hazy museum annex

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
One of the virtues of living in the DC area is the close proximity it provides to the Smithsonian. Although I seldom get out to the Air and Space Annex at the Udvar-Hazy Center it's always enjoyable when I do. Yesterday my brother-in-law, who is visiting from out of town, and I spent several hours wandering the place and oohing and aahing at the historic aircraft. Here are a few photos of what's on display, for you aviation buffs. Here's Part 1.

An F4U Corsair with the iconic gull wing design hangs at eye level, right at the end of the entry concourse. Hard to miss, easy to appreciate.
PC280303.JPG

A one-off: In the mid 1970's, NASA developed the Oblique Wing Research Aircraft, a small remotely-controlled aircraft to investigate the aerodynamics and flight characteristics of oblique wings. Its asymmetrical wing can rotate between 60 and 90 degrees around a center point on the fuselage.
PC280306.JPG

Moving even farther afield from fixed wing aircraft, here's a CH-46E "Sea Knight" helicopter (also known as the "Phrog"). Shiny!
PC280308.JPG

Next to it are a venerable Bell UH-1H "Huey" and AH1 "Cobra".
PC280309.JPG

Stepping back in time, you can find the Bell X1 "Glamorous Glennis" piloted by Chuck Yeager when he became the first person to break the sound barrier.
PC280317.JPG

If Leonardo da Vinci had had a lawn mower he'd probably have invented this. Since he didn't, NASA had to do it later.
PC280385.JPG

NASA also invented this little bird.
PC280320.JPG

Every tile on the thing is individually numbered. NASA can trace the pedigree and ancestry of each one. You can clearly see the streaks made as hot material ablated during reentry.
PC280322.JPG

This is Friendship 7, John Glenn's Mercury capsule, relocated from the main Air and Space Museum building on the Mall some time back. Seen up close it looks pretty primitive.
PC280329.JPG

This is a very rare Nazi Heinkel He 219 "Eagle Owl" night fighter/interceptor, still undergoing restoration. The antennas sticking off the front were an early German radar system and have only recently (within the past couple weeks) been re-added. It was also the first operational military aircraft to feature an ejection seat for the pilot and the first German WWII plane with a tricycle landing gear design.
PC280331.JPG

The Republic P-47 "Thunderbolt", or "Jug". A volunteer docent told us the story that among the people at Republic the joke was that if you built a runway that circled the equator, Republic could build a plane heavy enough that the runway would still be too short. This one is on display in the shadow of a more famous / infamous aircraft...
PC280334.JPG

... the "Enola Gay", the B-29 that dropped the first atomic bomb used in warfare.
PC280336.JPG

Also under the EG's protective wingspan is a P-38 "Lightning", made by Lockheed.
PC280340.JPG

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Quite some history...
Only made it to the KSCVC and the MoF, both times way too jet-lagged to truly appreciate...

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Part 2...

Here's a Hawker Hurricane...
PC280342.JPG

And fragments of a prototype of a Nazi jet-powered all-wing fighter, the Horten H IX V3. This is the only surviving example of the world's first all-wing jet, after earlier glider and propeller-driven prototypes had been built. The inventor also claimed to have used materials that absorb radar signals, making it a very early "stealth" plane if true.
PC280344.JPG

Here's a front-on view of the P61 "Black Widow" night fighter.
PC280345.JPG

Up close and personal with an Air France Concorde engine nacelle.
PC280355.JPG

Moving a few aircraft generations back in time, we encountered a Spad S.XI from WWI.
PC280363.JPG

This was an even earlier machine, the so-called Baldwin "Red Devil". I found the pattern of the wires holding the wings and struts in place to be especially visually interesting, and somehow reminiscent of the rigging on a square-rigged sailing vessel.
PC280364.JPG

Here's a French Caudron G.4 from WWI. They must have been very concerned about yaw, because they fitted four vertical stabilizers to combat it.
PC280367.JPG

Circling back on an elevated walkway we revisited the Lightning.
PC280372.JPG

The Boeing 307 "Stratoliner" is a descendent of the B-17 and was the first passenger aircraft to feature a pressurized cabin.
PC280374.JPG

This is a fragment of the glider version of the Horten all-wing jet shown above. It's made of plywood, with an acrylic canopy.
PC280386.JPG

A Japanese seaplane bomber, the Aichi M6A "Seiran". It was intended to be launched from giant I-400 class submarines, and a very few actually entered service near the end of the war but the program never really got off the ... errr, "water". This aircraft is the sole surviving example of the type.
PC280390.JPG

@John OoSTerhuis this should be quite familiar: a Cessna O-1A "Bird Dog".
PC280412.JPG

Finally, the last iconic plane I'll share today: the Curtiss P-40 "Warhawk" (a/k/a "Tomahawk" or "Kitty Hawk").
PC280421.JPG

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, and I'll be back again someday.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Wonderful pics and write-up, Keith! I'm an aircraft buff and have visited many an aviation museum, but have never been to that one. Some day.
I particularly love WWII planes and the Corsair is one of my all-time faves. Love that gull wing!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Patty

Last edited:

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
Never been there, but need to make time, someday.

I saw pieces of the Enola Gay years ago at the Air and Space museum, around the time that the museum was taking heat for reinterpreting its history, if you will.
Several of the pieces that you saw were at the AnS museum back then.

We took a ride to Dayton, OH a few years ago, to the USAF museum, which had a fantastic collection as well.
I set the hook for that trip by telling my buddy that they had one of everything that the AF had flown.
When we got there, he was wondering why there was no F4U Corsair. Well, the AF never flew them...

Steve

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Been to the Smithsonian, but when I went the annex wasn't open to the public, as a die hard aircraft nut, I have to go to it someday, I'm very jealous

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. They also have one of these:

PC280302.JPGPC280315.JPGPC280416.JPG

On its way to becoming just an historical relic this particular plane set the record for fastest crossing of North America: 64 minutes and a few seconds. Whew!
My last year in the USAF, we put on an open house/airshow at Barksdale afb in northwest Louisiana. It was one of the first public displays of the SR71. At the end of the show the crew took off and headed to an air show in the Los Angeles area. Pilot did a really fast/low pass over the runway, climbed and turned west. Then asked for landing instructions from LA, meaning he was just 45 or so minutes away.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here's a front-on view of the P61 "Black Widow" night fighter.
The P-61 introduced the concept of the RIO – Radio Intercept Officer at the time called RO – Radio Officer. I think it was the first plane to have onboard radar. Late to the party it could have been terrific night fighter.

OP
OP
ibike2havefun

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Very nice. I've only visited the Air & Space Museum on the mall. This is on my 'must visit' list.

Be sure to include the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museums in McMinnville, OR should you ever get out here.
I missed that one last summer but visited the Erickson Aircraft Collection in Madras. It's a private collection but open to the public; it features mostly, but not exclusively, WWII vintage aircraft, most of which are not only in airworthy condition but actually flown regularly. Had the opportunity presented itself I'd have willingly, gladly, enthusiastically plunked down the $100/minute fare for a 20 minute ride in their P-51. I had to settle for some up close and personal static shots instead but that was still way more than I ever thought I'd manage.

P6280716.JPGP6280718.JPGP6280747.JPGP6280751.JPG

Top Bottom