ABS Brakes

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Why? Tire diameter?
I don't think anyone has reported issue on the st with ABS getting confused with a wheel speed ratio that it was not expecting.
If it even cares, that might be used for something with traction control.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The ABS isn't going to care one way or the other since it's looking for situations where the wheel speeds diverge. Part of what happens in the couple of seconds between the time you start rolling and the system declaring itself okay is the computer taking note of what "equal" means. I'd imagine you'd have to mount a tire that's wildly different in size from stock before the computer would throw the red flag.

--Mark

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have ABS and a CT on the 1300. So far I the ABS system hasn't barked. I really don't think there is much difference in how tall the tire is which would impact circumference and the difference in wheel speed that ABS watches. It does feel taller but I don't think it is much. Most of that could likely be explained by the fact that I have new tread where my old tire was down to the wear bars.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
FWIW, I asked George when he was at the Holler on his ABS ST1100 and he said the ABSII behaved fine with the CT and Gold Wing rear rim.
I know George is running a taller tire than most which is taller than stock. This is where he may have had an issue. However George also put a taller front tire on and not just a rear. It would be interesting to see what would happen if he had only gone with a taller rear tire.

With the 1300 I thought that it would be nice to put a taller rear tire on. It might help with the stability issues. Though the more I thought about it, the Hankook that we are using barely fits so a taller one may not be an option.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Unless the tire diameter is changed drastically, there shouldn't be a problem...and the CTs we've been running on the 1300 are almost exactly the same height as the MC tire.

Jim

Bike
GL1800 2015
A former Darksider said he had to stay with his MT on his Wing because of ABS brakes. Is this true?
??
I have ABS ...on my 4th CT...every time I put one on I go do figure 8's in a parking lot for about a half hour...to round out the sides a little...and test the brakes HARD....they work fine....never locked up and stop on a dime!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I don't know how much smaller my tire is compared to stock but it sure makes the bike fall over a lot so it is significant.:eek:: My ABS works fine too. 1100 but I would think the systems are similar.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I would think the system electronics is looking for an output from the pulser, only when it gets a significant difference front to rear, such as for wheelspin or lock up does it do anything about it.....

I have to seriously provoke my ST on a poor surface to get it to react at all......

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I would think the system electronics is looking for an output from the pulser, only when it gets a significant difference front to rear, such as for wheelspin or lock up does it do anything about it.....

I have to seriously provoke my ST on a poor surface to get it to react at all......
+1 No issues seen for me.

Top Bottom