ABS II problems,(yes another one)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've read somewhere else there's an "aftermarket" source for the sensor, maybe you've found it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
just an update i got a turck unit given to me to try by one of the electricians in work, ill see will it work this weekend,
it has a little led built in so its easy to see the pulses, ill let ye know how it goes

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
well just to update the progress, the turck unit didnt work, or more to the point it did work but wasnt able to distinguish between the teeth on the toothed ring,
if i passed a screwdriver under the unit i could make the abs lights flash when it was in diagnostic mode,
so i have a honeywell unit ordered, it has a much finer sensitivity range, ill post updates as and when i have them

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
OK the honeywell unit arrived, i wired it up, put the bike in diagnositc, and the lights flash as the wheel spins,
now i was only holding it in my hand so i havent taken it for a spin to see if it works fine but ill make up a bracket for it when i get some time,
looking good so far anyway and the honeywell unit was less than €30 and looks to be a well made unit

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
Well it worked, i havent tested above 30 mph but below that its working grand

006.jpg

here it is mounted to an old final drive i have

010.jpg

and here it is on the bike

the sensor i used is a honeywell 1GT101DC, it cost me €24 plus VAT(Tax) from my local RS distributor, honda wanted 10 times that,
it also doesnt seem to be nearly as critical with the air gap setting, its at about 2mm in the photo,
ill tidy up the bracket later

Last edited:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Cool!!! Good job getting that fitted and tested.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Thanks for finding that George,,,saved for future ref.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
the black wire off the old sensor wiring was 12v supply, the blue was signal and the other one was negative, sorry im colour blind but ye can figure the rest from this
i had to cut a slot out of the plastic ring on the final drive to make the bracket fit
i also tested it to 70 mph today and no problems,
its a good feeling to see those little lights go out when you pull off,

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Thanks, Jim. I won't get to this 'til end of July, after NatSTOC but suspect the part will be waiting for me then. ITMT, I have a loaner sensor from Mark I hope to fiddle with tomorrow...

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
hi nice bodge supose you wouldnt want to make em n put a couple on ebay ?? id pay my abs is fooba thanks to the rear sensor as well
the sensor should fit in the standard bracket, i had to make one because i broke the mounting bracket off trying to remove the old sensor, it was wedged in with corrosion

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Best news yet (except for how it reflects on my maintenance skills :D): I found my ABS problems. Turns out the original rear wheel speed sensor is bad, just as the flashy lights tried to tell me months ago. Replaced it yesterday with Mark's "spare". Also, found the front modulator problems,,, I had left the connector unconnected while doing my preliminary tests back in early April... Took me this long to get a 'Round TuIt and pull the tupperware to get n there and find it... Quick test ride yesterday and all is good to go... And I do mean GO! Soon's I wrap things up this morning, I'm off like a prom dress in the spring. :D

Honeywell replacement is on the way (per notes above), and I'll get Mark's spare back to him soon's that new one is in place.

sofawizard

andy
Bike
st1100 a
if your sure the sensors done theres an easy way to remove it just looks kinda brutal take a drill through it in ever bigger sizes till you can colapse the outer and saves the mounting bracket from breaking

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Good news George. Glad one of us has ABS now.

Top Bottom