ABS Wheel in Non-ABS Bike

Hi, Can anyone tell me if it is ok to fit an ABS wheel to a non-ABS bike. I've seen one on offer and wondering whether to buy it.

Thanks folks.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I don't know about other years, but an '04 ABS wheel will work on an '04 non ABS bike. The only difference is the holes for the bolts that hold the sensor ring on.

OP
OP
Top banana, thanks guys; mine's a 04 so I'm going for it. In all honesty, it's cheap so worth a gamble; the fitted tyre is worth the money on its own. Anyhow, I can now have a bit more confidence that it will work. Cheers and thanks for you help.
Ginge

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I don't know about other years, but an '04 ABS wheel will work on an '04 non ABS bike. The only difference is the holes for the bolts that hold the sensor ring on.
As far as I know;
All of the rims are the same for all model years.
The only difference with the front wheels is the ABS pulser ring depending on whether it is pre-2008 or not. The bolt pattern is the same regardless of which pulser ring it has or the model year.
All of the rear wheels are the same.

OP
OP
Thank you. I've ordered the wheel and tyre, if there is anything to add I'll report back. Thanks for your time. Regards,
Ginge

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Factory non-ABS wheels simply don't have the pulser rings attached and don't have the holes drilled and tapped where the screws would go. The bolt hole bosses are there however.
Any wheel can be used on any ABS or non-ABS ST1300. Either swap the front wheel pulser ring depending on whether it is a pre-2008 or not, or drill, tap and install the pulser ring on a wheel that came off of a non-ABS version.

Top Bottom