Absolutely YES to ATGATT

Lost Dutchman

Joe M.
STOC #
one more tidbit... I am ATGATT with really really rare exceptions.

the wrinkle to me is, if I go anywhere w/o all the gear, my mind is now on THAT instead of being relaxed and intuitive doing the ride..
I feel the same way. On the 4th of July yesterday, I rode over to my daughters house in just shirt & shorts :eek:. I felt so nervous I stopped at one of the big box stores and bought a pair of jeans to wear for the ride back home. I already had my helmet and jacket in the side bag. Couldn't believe how vulnerable I felt.(rightly so)

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I will say that on the ST I will put on ATG even just to go down the street to get gas or milk. But I feel so silly with ATG when riding my wife's Metropolitan to get gas so usually it's everything but the pants and I still feel silly. I just keep reminding myself that when I low sided the ST I was going slower than I go on the little scooter! You can get really scraped up with an accident on a 49cc scooter just the same as on a big Sport Tourer. Maybe I can yet talk my wife into a bigger bike for her.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Okay... I have to say it... I just have to...

What happened? DID YOUR BRAKES LOCK UP.... :rofl1:

Knowing you're okay, I assume the joke is not quite in the bad taste category...

Good luck with the aftermath, hope it all works out in a good way.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bob, seeing as how I wasn't there, I don't fully understand what exactly is being photo'd here, but these are Mike's pictures from the crash scene.
1st photo= where the bike ended up after I stood it up. It was on it's right side in the sandy shoulder.
2nd photo= the Master lock that the front tire 'caught' on and took a ski trip the wrong direction as I was navigating the curve.
3rd photo= I don't know who that is doing 2 wheeled donuts in the road but in the foreground you can see the skid scar in the road where the bike was already sliding on it's side (white mark) and the skid mark from the mirror cover being dragged just before it separated from the bike. I think the white mark on this side of the center line was from the engine guard. Half way across this section is where I think I rolled off.
Remaining photos are of the bike and my gear (for the insurance if they wanted them from at the scene).

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for posting the photos.

Okay... I have to say it... I just have to...

What happened? DID YOUR BRAKES LOCK UP.... :rofl1:

Knowing you're okay, I assume the joke is not quite in the bad taste category...

Good luck with the aftermath, hope it all works out in a good way.
The more I think on it the more I am not positive that I didn't put on some brake as the bike started to go out, but my path was 'LOCKED IN' by then. ;)
STs don't dance the jig very well going around sharp turns, especially accompanied by a MASTER lock.

I just ordered the replacement parts from www.cheapcycleparts.com (thank you Mellow(?) or someone for that reference in another post). The insurance adjuster called today and also emailed with the results of their collecting prices and calculating what the claim check should be when it arrives in a few days. I will not be replacing all the parts they included (eg: they listed the turn signal but there is nothing wrong with the existing one). They also included labor (though I will be doing all the repairs) at the local Honda dealer rates (4.1 hours @ $80/hr). I have also ordered some of the gear to replace what was damaged (helmet, jacket, gloves) and will be ordering new pants and boots. All of this is included in the claim check. I will end up keeping almost half of it, to be redirected to additional 'safety' gadgets... er, equipment. :D

I have just taken a claw hammer (both the lump and sharp end) to my old, crashed Shoei. Actually, I battered the &&&& out of it and there was hardly a mark. If that was a bare skull I would have liquified it. Even the visor took an awful pounding and it didn't break.

Not exactly a scientific experiment, but if it had went through, I would have changed brands ASAP.

A helmet won't save you from a headache, but you might survive to be able to say "&&&& me! That hurts!"

Top Bottom