Accuracy of speeometer vs tickets collected

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm trying to figure out how you can ride that many miles for that many years, and not get a ticket.

So maybe the correlation is (accurate speedo = rides like an old lady) :D

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm trying to figure out how you can ride that many miles for that many years, and not get a ticket.

So maybe the correlation is (accurate speedo = rides like an old lady) :D

Anyone that rides with me knows better...I just pick my moments, instead of opening myself up all the time!...;)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
[QUOTE;1841428]I agree with this one...I am not tempting fate and discussing tickets, but always thought that speed limits were merely a suggestion....[/QUOTE]

Okay...No assumptions here folks! Yes, there are certain speed limits I follow, where I know where the Cops hang out with their radar. Beyond that, I just usually keep my speeds less than ten over. I also never keep someone else from getting my ticket, meaning I don't hold someone up that wants to go faster than me...or try to race them, just because I don't want them passing me.

That is why I haven't got any tickets in the last 40 years! Oh, that and a BUNCH of LUCK!

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I once got a speeding ticket when my car had oversize tires which made the speedo read lower than actual speed. Upon getting the ticket, I discussed that situation with the officer. He advised me to get a notarized copy of the speedometer's error from a calibration shop, AND THEN get the speedo corrected and obtain a second notarized calibration report. The idea is to prove it was originally faulty AND that I had fixed the problem. I bought a second-hand speedometer and simply altered the display because I couldn't achieve a sufficient amount of correction by changing gear ratios. I pleaded my case to the judge and the speeding ticket was reduced to 60 days probation, and that meant no points against my license nor the associated hike in automobile insurance rates. Of course, I kept the original speedo just in case I later earned another "award."

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I heard too many times growing up, "ignorance is no excuse." If you alter your vehicle and therefore render the speedometer inaccurate, I don't think that means you now have a "get out of tickets" card.

If your vehicle is inaccurate from the factory, it is likely no more than 10% (my ST1300 is about 5%). Worst case, 10% @ 75mph is 82.5 mph. *Most* LEO's won't pull over for less than 5 over for speeds less than 50mph (even school zones) and many won't hit the lights at highway speeds until 10mph over (unless they are bored or circumstances seem suspicious).

My opinions won't win friends, and I know am an old codger at just 39, but I have 3 young kids and I'm tired of selfish idiots on the road. Their phone is more important than looking at the road; their appointment is more important than stopping at a stop sign; their "need" to speed/weave/cut-off is more important than everyone's safety.

I visited my hometown of Arlington (Dallas) the last few days...The city was full of selfish morons "driving" (read: sitting behind the wheel). I saw a dozen near-accidents...all of which could have been avoided if people slowed down, calmed down, backed off or looked up.

I have a dear friend whose life was drastically changed 2 years ago last Christmas day. A woman was driving too fast and texting on her phone. She veered off and then over-corrected and hit him head on. His wife and daughter were hospitalized for weeks and the woman's two children (1 & 4) were ejected. The woman and her kids died right there in front of him. He (and Christmas) will never be the same.

Sorry for the rant...It just doesn't make sense that people ignore physics and common sense when driving.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
So, speed is a measure every rider needs to gauge and ride within skill and conditions no matter what's indicated. What I always wondered why any would be off more than a percent. heres a thought, if the speedo is optimistic, is it measuring more miles than actually traveled? Warranty?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
heres a thought, if the speedo is optimistic, is it measuring more miles than actually traveled? Warranty?
generally the odometer is accurate, but the speedo is not. That's why any attempt to electronically modify the speed reading results in the inaccuracy being transferred to the odometer. This only further supports the theory that the speedo is optimistic to avoid any possibility of liability by the manufacturer.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Honda has already (early 2007) gotten dinged in a class action lawsuit regarding odometers that have recorded mileage at too high of a rate in about 6 million vehicles--those odometers on average were almost 4% over-zealous. Honda paid back lease excess miles, out-of-warranty claims, and extended warranties on the affected vehicles--they no doubt learned their lesson on that one. Since then, the odometers are <1% error IIRC, including the odometer on our ST's.

My odometer is only one or two tenths of a percent off on my ST, yet the speedometer is 6% high. Both the odo and speedo run from the same signal. While Honda makes the odometer correct for NHTSA / legal reasons, they are motivated to NOT have the speedometer under-report speed given our litigious society.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
[QUOTE;1841726]I don't know...maybe I am wrong but, I really don't pay attention to the odometer or speedo much, its a general indication of what your bike is doing, a reference. The fact its 5 to 10 percent wrong doesn't matter to me. I ride my ride and that's it, sometimes well above the limit, sometime at the limit on one of those lazy days where the view warrants it..its really no big deal to me.[/QUOTE]
Amen! Let's go ride!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Whether I ride below or at or above the speed limit I like knowing which it is and when. So I do pay attention to the speedometer. At 65mph it's about 3mph fast. I'm good with that.

Bike
2006 ST1300
In our society the mfg's have to design to the worse instance. Roads have very low speed limits so that an old codger driving a Winnebago won't go off the road on a sharp corner while doing the speed limit, even though the typical family car can easily handle it moving 20 mph faster. Honda (like most motorcycle MFGs) have their speedometer off a bit planning for the worse combination of factors. Things which affect the accuracy of the speedometer are tire brand, tread pattern, tread wear, tire temperature (tires swell a bit when warm), speed (tires swell a bit when turning fast), and other factors. Each factor has a very small affect, but hit the right combination of factors and you can throw a speedometer off by a fair amount.

Now throw a lawyer into the mix. Get a ticket and prove the speedometer was reading a bit too low, and Honda will hear about it. As someone mentioned, have an accident where there is a death or injuries, because you were going too fast for conditions, and Honda will pay.

I know my speedometer is off by a bit but I have no desire to correct it. I don't even think about it most of the time. It may very well have saved me a few performance awards when I thought I was doing 15 over, but was actually doing 8 over. That isn't saying I agree with the speedo being designed to be off, just that it has happened to work in my favor before.

Top Bottom