Adaptive Cruise Control for Motorcycles is Here

Bike
2010 ST1300
Don't know if this is the right forum, but if not, I'm sure Joe will move this thread.

I'm sure more than a few of us have read advance notices of this in other publications, however, this is the first time I've seen it in a general audience newspaper. We have discussed this gadget before, and I know there are a lot of us who swear they will never have it on their bike, but a surprising number of you, to me, have touted the various electronic aids (adaptive cruise, lane change, blind spot warning, keyless entry, etc.) found on modern new cars. I confess I'm not sold on these solely because we have not bought a new car recently enough and I have not had sufficient exposure to them (a couple of rental cars only served to confuse the heck out of me - some rigid standardization is needed).

I will go out on a limb and say that this is going to replace good old cc on most new bikes within the next 5 to 10 years.

Read on.... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/29/business/motorcycles-adaptive-cruise-control.html?searchResultPosition=1

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I can't help but think that if a rider needs adaptive cruise to maintain safe distance from the vehicle in front, then there are other areas of their riding that need to be addressed; not the least of which...should they be riding at all. Riding is not the same as driving IMO.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I've put approximately 150,000 miles on a vehicle with adaptive cruise, and I can tell you that while it probably will become standard on motorcycles, I sure hope it doesn't.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I ride too aggressively (as in: I move through traffic, rather than stagnate in one place) to rely on a ride-by-wire system.

But then, I must admit that, like ABS, I don't know what I'm missing as I haven't ridden with it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Well, change is exceptionally difficult for motorcycle riders so your prediction of "5 to 10 years out" is probably a safe one.
Ain't that the truth!

And if a motorcycle is going to have cruise control (which allows a rider to text) why not adaptive so that he or she doesn't kill him or herself.

My car's cruise control gets very little use as I seldom find it helpful except when driving in the "slow" lane. I can set and forget and others can tailgate or pass as common sense dictates. Otherwise I'm hitting the brakes when someone slows down in front of me or changes lanes and suddenly is in front of me.

I've never used adaptive cruise control and so don't know if it would make using cruise control a regular thing for me. It would seem it could be a practical upgrade on a car so maybe even a bike (if I were to have cruise control at all on a bike).

Until the jack-booted Govt thugs pry our throttles from our cold dead hands these various devices will have On-Offs that can be used at will.

Jambriwal

2016 ST1300PA
Bike
2016 ST1300 PA
No thanks. Our 2017 Honda CRV has adaptive cruisr control. I feel that we are Beta testers because it does not work to my needs. Travelling up hill left hand curve in the passing lane. The lidar/ radar? See's a car ahead in the far right lane and cuts power to the engine.
This and other examples is why we turned it off along with lane control.
Either i am driving the car or the computor( not ready) but not both.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My previous Mazda CX-5 and now Ford Ranger both have adaptive CC and it's pretty nice, you come up to a vehicle in front of you based on the distance setting you choose and the vehicle slows to basically match that speed, if you change lanes it starts to speed up again as it detects a clear path. Never saw it have any issues but I don't really drive a lot of scenarios where I need CC.

On a bike I think it could prevent some issues but most riders probably follow too close anyway, I only used my CC on the Tracer periodically and more as a temporary throttle lock than anything else but most of the time I like to be in control of the bike vs letting it go on it's own.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I can't help but think that if a rider needs adaptive cruise to maintain safe distance from the vehicle in front, then there are other areas of their riding that need to be addressed; not the least of which...should they be riding at all. Riding is not the same as driving IMO.
Neither is flying a small plane, but electronics are invading cockpits, too. How many modern GA planes have an instrument panel like a Piper J-3?

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
It's a fine piece of technology for calm, steady-state use, but my prediction is that there will be a lot of people who will have... negative experiences... with the "grey areas" of operation.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Don't know if this is the right forum, but if not, I'm sure Joe will move this thread.

I'm sure more than a few of us have read advance notices of this in other publications, however, this is the first time I've seen it in a general audience newspaper. We have discussed this gadget before, and I know there are a lot of us who swear they will never have it on their bike, but a surprising number of you, to me, have touted the various electronic aids (adaptive cruise, lane change, blind-spot warning, keyless entry, etc.) found on modern new cars. I confess I'm not sold on these solely because we have not bought a new car recently enough and I have not had sufficient exposure to them (a couple of rental cars only served to confuse the heck out of me - some rigid standardization is needed).

I will go out on a limb and say that this is going to replace good old cc on most new bikes within the next 5 to 10 years.

Read on.... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/29/business/motorcycles-adaptive-cruise-control.html?searchResultPosition=1
I have difficulty in believing anything written and published by the New York Times!

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
No thanks. We have a new Honda Accord with it. I hate it. I keep most of the "car control" mess turned off.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #

I'm sure more than a few of us have read advance notices of this in other publications, however, this is the first time I've seen it in a general audience newspaper. We have discussed this gadget before, and I know there are a lot of us who swear they will never have it on their bike, but a surprising number of you, to me, have touted the various electronic aids (adaptive cruise, lane change, blind spot warning, keyless entry, etc.) found on modern new cars. I confess I'm not sold on these solely because we have not bought a new car recently enough and I have not had sufficient exposure to them (a couple of rental cars only served to confuse the heck out of me - some rigid standardization is needed).

I am very excited by this and will be sure to have it on my next motorcycle. This will make droning on the freeway that much better after a day in the twistys with the ST group! I use ACC all the time on my other vehicles - I love it!
John

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I am very excited by this and will be sure to have it on my next motorcycle. This will make droning on the freeway that much better after a day in the twistys with the ST group! I use ACC all the time on my other vehicles - I love it!
John
I really wonder if we will see it on a lot of new bikes. Ultimately, money talks, and this feature, if its an option, may not be very popular. I have a feeling that a lot of the BMW faithful wil go for it, if for no other reason that three guys in our local BMW club bought new beemers within the last two years (all in the $20k range, one maybe a bit over). This is hardly a statistical sample, but having seen a fair number of these folks at BMW rallies, I think they will embrace the technology. That said, I think @dduelin or @dwalby said in another post that the USA is only a small fraction of Honda's global bike sales. Toss in that ST type bike sales are declining (and being replaced by adventure type bikes). That being the case, other markets will ultimately decide the fate of all these electronic devices. I'll add that most of us are ageing, and having seen the number of new and unfamiliar names on the posts, I doubt that many of us older guys will still be riding in 20 years, or even making posts on the ST website. Consider that a whole generation has never lived without a computer and another without a smart phone. What do you think they are likely to buy? But that is a whole new discussion.

Reactions: Djc
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I do think so - this is just the first - Ducati, BMW, and now Honda offering it. Cruise Control used to be a rare thing but now comes on many bike. ACC. BSM and other tools will continue to roll out. I see this new tech as a positive and welcome it.

Top Bottom