Adding insult to injury

Bike
1991 ST1100
I've only dropped an ST once, about 10 years ago. I needed to clear some space for the plane I was working on in the garage. I was moving it and didn't notice that the kickstand had flipped up. Over she went, but not all the way down...unfortunately. It was stopped by the fuselage of the plane, making a bit of a divot in the aluminum.
I decided that it gave the plane character. :rofl1:

plane.jpg

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Hate when that happens. You build this machine? Foil looks symmetrical. Sweet.
What engine you install?

OP
OP
buceador
Bike
1991 ST1100
The wings were off at the time. I hadn't finished building it. Yup it's experimental. I sold it to a guy in Texas after I flew it for a year.

OP
OP
buceador
Bike
1991 ST1100
Iomita, that plane, a Sonex, has a Jabiru 3300 6 cylinder engine. A sweet little bird that I never should have sold

Last edited:

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Iomega, that plane, a Sonex, has a Jabiru 3300 6 cylinder engine. A sweet little bird that I never should have sold
You're living the dream. Awesome hobby. My home is next to KTOA where I taught GA pilots many years. Retired 10 years ago, teaching Gulstream IV to crews around the globe with FSI. Keep up the great work. :plane1::thumb:

20191203_180145.jpg
The white bag on my scaffolding next to the 1300 contains my 14.5m ATOS VRX carbon fiber rigid wing hang glider from Germany. Hope to fly Walt's Point to Lone Pine Airport in the Owen's Valley next spring, if I can get all my ST work completed. 9000' MSL launch point, 5000' sled ride to landing.

Merry Christmas from SOCAL!

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
I've only dropped an ST once, about 10 years ago. I needed to clear some space for the plane I was working on in the garage. I was moving it and didn't notice that the kickstand had flipped up. Over she went, but not all the way down...unfortunately. It was stopped by the fuselage of the plane, making a bit of a divot in the aluminum.
I decided that it gave the plane character. :rofl1:

plane.jpg
Beautiful planes. I used to be a member of EAA for many years. I love to see/checks out those homebuilt airplanes. By the look of your divot, it can be fixed very easily with a rubber mallet and a block. Or you tell people it got hit by Canadian flying honker or a slingshot..! :biggrin:

OP
OP
buceador
Bike
1991 ST1100
That Thatcher CX4 looks to be a nice plane.
Which Burgman did you get and why didn't you like it?
I've added the 400 Burgman to my stable and like it, but it did take some learning
to understand the transmission.
It was a 650. I got it because I thought it would be easier to mount than it was, but that scooter cutout didn't work as a step thru at all, and it wasn't as easy to swing my leg over the seat as a cruiser. (hip issues) :hurt1:
I really hated the automatic, especially coming to a stop when all of a sudden there was no engine braking.
I did really like it in the rain though.
Oddly enough, the st1100 doesn't seem any harder to mount, though that could be psychological ;)

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
It was a 650. I got it because I thought it would be easier to mount than it was, but that scooter cutout didn't work as a step thru at all, and it wasn't as easy to swing my leg over the seat as a cruiser. (hip issues) :hurt1:
I really hated the automatic, especially coming to a stop when all of a sudden there was no engine braking.
I did really like it in the rain though.
Oddly enough, the st1100 doesn't seem any harder to mount, though that could be psychological ;)
I stand on the left peg to swing my leg over the RDL seatback while grabbing the right brake handle and dismount the same way.

I resumed riding in 2012 on Honda 700NT. Too heavy. Lots of parking lot drops. Traded it right away for a Burgman 400. Loads of fun, but not quite highway capable. Upgraded the 400 to a Burgman 650 a year later. It was a great cruiser. I put 10,000 miles the first year including round trip to Jasper, Alberta. I loved the transmission. AND, the dual hand brakes! Very intuitive for an old bicyclist.
Currently I have a CB500X with Pelican bags. First motorcycle I have kept for any time. It is light, agile, comfortable, and gives 65-70 mpg loaded down like a pack mule. Cheap to buy, Honda build quality and reliability, and spectacular fuel economy. It will cruise at any legal speed, anywhere. Can’t beat it, in my opinion. Hope to keep it a good while.

Top Bottom