Admore Givi Lighting Kit/Flickering Taillights

Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
I picked up the Admore lighting kit for my Givi V56 top box. Installed it and noticed my taillights flicker whenever it's connected. I've been trading email with their tech support, but it's not been very productive as I seem to be repeating the same things over and over again. The last process involved running the red (tail) and black (ground) wires from the Admore unit to my aux fuse box rather than the wire taps to the taillight hot and ground. Same problem. Whenever the Admore is connected the taillights flicker noticeably. The Admore LED's in the Givi are fine as are the "bolt" LED's I have lighting the license plate up (which are tapped to the taillight hot and ground). I did replace the stock taillight bulbs with LED's previously and have no problems when the Admore isn't wired in. If I had a bad ground I'd expect the tails to flicker all the time. I've gone over the wiring diagrams and confirmed with my tester that I have the brake and turn signals tapped to the right wires. I'm going to look at it again tomorrow night, maybe something with the brake light connection? An issue related to the LED taillights? Anyone else use this product and have any issues? I used their older product in their old 52 liter case and didn't have any issues.

Bike
2010 ST1300
LED's used in indoor line voltage (120v) fixtures are notorious for giving electricians fits. Toss a dimmer into the circuit and you have a recipe for headaches. I'd start by pulling the flickering tail light lamp and putting in an incandescent. See if there is any flickering. If you have another LED lamp that fits the tailight socket, try that one.

I bought LED headlight lamps for my Highlander. the Low beam lamps flicker, the High beam lamps do not (separate lamps - high and low - not both on one lamp). A google search turned up a device that is supposed to stop the flicker - my guess is it's an electrical filter or capacitor. My guess your Admore light is throwing out electrical noise that makes the taillight LED flicker. For the moment, I'm living w/ the flicker (I don't see it, so 'what, me worry?'),

I know this is not much help, but you might try a google search for flickering LED...

OP
OP
joebiker86
Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
LED's used in indoor line voltage (120v) fixtures are notorious for giving electricians fits. Toss a dimmer into the circuit and you have a recipe for headaches. I'd start by pulling the flickering tail light lamp and putting in an incandescent. See if there is any flickering. If you have another LED lamp that fits the tailight socket, try that one.

I bought LED headlight lamps for my Highlander. the Low beam lamps flicker, the High beam lamps do not (separate lamps - high and low - not both on one lamp). A google search turned up a device that is supposed to stop the flicker - my guess is it's an electrical filter or capacitor. My guess your Admore light is throwing out electrical noise that makes the taillight LED flicker. For the moment, I'm living w/ the flicker (I don't see it, so 'what, me worry?'),

I know this is not much help, but you might try a google search for flickering LED...
I suppose I could think of it as a safety feature, a taillight modulator. :)

I have LEDs everywhere in all my vehicles and haven't run into this before. I agree it's likely noise. I'll look around to see if I kept the original bulbs, good idea.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Some of the older LED tail light bulbs use a single set of LED's for both the tail and the brake. They put a resistor on the "tail" feed to make it dimmer (so less than 12v) and then when the brake is activated it gets the full 12v and brightens up. This saves having 2 sets of LED's in the bulb. Where some of them cheaped out was they did not put a one way diode in the bulb. The admore could be feeding power back causing the tail lights to flicker, or if the bulbs have a diode it might be overpowering it. I'm not sure this is the issue but it could be.

OP
OP
joebiker86
Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
I should add it's a significant flicker, like each bulb flickers off/on. Other than my headlights which are Mori's, the rest of the LEDs on the bike are from Superbright.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Same issue with Admore + LED tails. I just went back to incandescent to solve the issue. The top box lights are plenty bright enough for my wants, so no big deal.

OP
OP
joebiker86
Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
@Smudgemo thanks for the confirmation. Swapped LED's for bulbs and all is well. I'd like to have kept the LED's, but would rather utilize the Admore lights. Appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom