Advice about ST1100 ABS System

Bike
st110t
STOC #
Greetings all,

I am writing to request riders opinions specifically about the effectivness of the ST1100 ABS sytem please.

This may sound like a strange request but I think that this system may have helped avert the disaster I had last Friday afternon in bad weather on the M62 ( a very busy motorway in the Uk running across the country).

My bike was (depending on the insurance assessor) a non abs ST1100 and basically I lost the back wheel grip a few times during emergency braking in very heavy rain on the M62.

The cars in front of me braked very hard, I applied the brakes as gently as the situation allowed, but the back end lost grip, I released the brakes and regained grip but by now the traffic in front had almost stopped and I had to stop as well, so I applied the brakes again, the back end went again and I realised there was no way I would stop in time so I stepped off which was good thing to do.

I slid and rolled over a few times and then got up, no serious damage done, although the bike is trashed.

The bike has new tyres, Bridegstone Exdras both with less than 2K on them, recent new rear pads and disc, serviced less than 3K ago and booked in for the cam belt in a few weeks time, so the bike was well looked after as I earn my living on it.

I obviuosly was NOT riding too close to the traffic in front because I never hit the cars in front nor did the bike so I attribute the problem to really bad rain.

Now I am most probably going to have to replace the bike and this is why I have asked about the ABS, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In the meatime ride safe guys

Dave

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Greetings all,

I am writing to request riders opinions specifically about the effectivness of the ST1100 ABS sytem please.

This may sound like a strange request but I think that this system may have helped avert the disaster I had last Friday afternon in bad weather on the M62 ( a very busy motorway in the Uk running across the country).

My bike was (depending on the insurance assessor) a non abs ST1100 and basically I lost the back wheel grip a few times during emergency braking in very heavy rain on the M62.

The cars in front of me braked very hard, I applied the brakes as gently as the situation allowed, but the back end lost grip, I released the brakes and regained grip but by now the traffic in front had almost stopped and I had to stop as well, so I applied the brakes again, the back end went again and I realised there was no way I would stop in time so I stepped off which was good thing to do.

I slid and rolled over a few times and then got up, no serious damage done, although the bike is trashed.

The bike has new tyres, Bridegstone Exdras both with less than 2K on them, recent new rear pads and disc, serviced less than 3K ago and booked in for the cam belt in a few weeks time, so the bike was well looked after as I earn my living on it.

I obviuosly was NOT riding too close to the traffic in front because I never hit the cars in front nor did the bike so I attribute the problem to really bad rain.

Now I am most probably going to have to replace the bike and this is why I have asked about the ABS, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In the meatime ride safe guys

Dave
Get it and don't look back. You already know why...

OP
OP
Bike
st110t
STOC #
Yep, fronts were applied but the roads were so wet with the amount of driving rain that was falling

ABS can always help, but I would also look at how good the tyres are in the wet. Brakes are only as good as the grip you can get to the road.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't call it the A(utomatic) B(utt) S(aver) for nothing! It's main function is to keep you from locking the wheels in an emergency situation. It is especially a problem with the standard ST1100 and the rear brake - very easy to do regardless of how much practice. Definitely go for the ABS (I have both a standard and ABS ST1100s). Also, the calipers have an extra 'pot' on the ABS and the brake pads are much more aggressive. You will not regret it.

OP
OP
Bike
st110t
STOC #
Thanks Guys,

I have taken your advice and got another ST1100, a '95 model with ABS and TCS very low mileage at only 27K so I am hoping its going to server me well once I get back on the road again.

Safe riding all

Dave

Top Bottom