Advice needed - Penske shock install?

Bike
2005 ST1300
I was lucky enough to land a Penske rear shock from a forum member. (WOO HOO). just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for the install? Thanks

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Re: Advice needed

I was lucky enough to land a Penske rear shock from a forum member. (WOO HOO). just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for the install? Thanks
I just removed and replaced a rear spring on Justytrolls bike yesterday.
After reading all the other posts about how you have to remove the rear wheel, mufflers, battery, sidestep, seat bracket, lift tank, etc.
We were a little concerned. however, I simply removed the preload adjuster from the hose, removed the battery (turned out we didn't need to),
removed the seat mouting bracket, (didn't need to do that either) and (1) nut on the sub frame that was making it hard to see the top shock nut...
I removed the top nut and bolt, then reached up between the shaft and the rear wheel, and removed the bottom bolt and nut..
Then removed the (1) nut that holds that rear master cylinder in place, and just moved it out of the way...
And then placed my left hand on the coils of the shock to assess the situation and see how we were going to attack it, and it literally fell out the side opening in my hand!
We looked at each other and burst into laughter. The only hard thing was finding someone with a press to exchange the springs. We found a local
suspension shop that charged us $20 bucks and had the bike back together in a matter of minutes.
Very easy job if you don't try to over think it and remove too much stuff.
The use of a K&L sissor jack under the shaft helped line the holes up on reassembly.
Igofar

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300

Ok i finished up the install. I did remove the battery but it needed charging anyway. The rear brake resivor is nice to be out of the way. I did remove the seat adjuster thingy. Other than that it was pretty easy. I had to loosen up the aluminumun frame and disconnect the right muffler bracket. but it was pretty easy with not many headaches. Thanks for the advice.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #

If you turned the bottom bolt around the other way you won't have to fiddle with the aluminum side plate the next time.
Ok i finished up the install. I did remove the battery but it needed charging anyway. The rear brake resivor is nice to be out of the way. I did remove the seat adjuster thingy. Other than that it was pretty easy. I had to loosen up the aluminumun frame and disconnect the right muffler bracket. but it was pretty easy with not many headaches. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom