Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I carry the Type S brand from Costco, who has better customer service and return policy than just about anyone.

I amazed a lady at a Wawa one evening that a motorcyclist was able to jump her Grand Cherokee.

Bike
20 Tracer GT
I think they're great for helping other people start their cars or trucks and some motorcycles. If you are looking for your own use on your own motorcycle as a backup for a dead battery, consider how much plastic needs to be removed and replaced and the general access for the clamps to a battery. On my ST1300, I ran two cables from the battery to the side cover and placed bolts that were exposed and would accept the clamps from the booster. The bolts were covered by a shield to prevent inadvertent contact when not in use. Removal of side panels wasn't required to access the charging points. Never used it, but it was ready if needed.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I think they are great, on my old car the charging system quit the booster was able to start the engine and keep it running so I was able to drive 5 or so km home. I guess according to this thread I should look for a new one as it is now four years old.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
They are good to have for jump starting, but also good to charge phones and comm systems. And yes, it would likely fit under your seat in the back, although I keep mine in my right pannier with other tools, rain suit and bike cover, i.e. stuff I don’t use that often.

Bike
2010 ST1300
they only last 3-4 years if properly maintained per google, that means charging them periodically
Is that true? These jump starter packs are Lithium Ion batteries, and if Li batts last for years in our bikes, laptops, etc. why should a jump pack die so quickly? I'm assuming one does not leave it in the top of a black topcase when the bike is parked in sunlight on a 95ºF day. If cared for properly, it should last longer than 3 to 4 years.

Heck, if I left my bike parked in the sunlight on a very hot day the candy bar and energy bar in my top case would melt. Might even cause the water bottle to expand and maybe leak. All fixings for a grand mess in there.
I guess according to this thread I should look for a new one as it is now four years old.
One person saying that does not make it so. We need to discuss this more and maybe stoop so low as to do some research.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Ok, I was going to make a new thread, but I guess I can ask here…my 94 has an AGM batt (about 2-3 years old), and the 2000 has a Deltran LiFePO4 batt (now about 7 years old). Both run fine and hold charge (if I had to guess, maybe 200 short trips of about 100 miles on the Li batt, so 20,000 miles on that battery if it matters). Both have SAE connectors for Battery Tenders (I usually leave the Li batt on the tender when not in use). I’m using both bikes soon for a trip to the Smokies (my brother is coming out from Colorado to ride the other ST). Am I overthinking a dead battery situation and do they make an SAE connector for charging the battery with a jump starter? I’d rather not spend the money if it’s unlikely I’ll ever use the charger, but I guess I worry about the age of the 2000‘s battery. Thanks!

Bike
R1200rt
Is that true? These jump starter packs are Lithium Ion batteries, and if Li batts last for years in our bikes, laptops, etc. why should a jump pack die so quickly? I'm assuming one does not leave it in the top of a black topcase when the bike is parked in sunlight on a 95ºF day. If cared for properly, it should last longer than 3 to 4 years.

Heck, if I left my bike parked in the sunlight on a very hot day the candy bar and energy bar in my top case would melt. Might even cause the water bottle to expand and maybe leak. All fixings for a grand mess in there.

One person saying that does not make it so. We need to discuss this more and maybe stoop so low as to do some research.
Your laptop is charged daily or frequently. Charger pack will probably sit for months at a time. We have the larger charger packs at work and are charged frequently. They don't last 4 years and a few of them lasted 2 years at best.

From google
Do rechargeable lithium batteries wear out?

And batteries degrade even if you don't use them. According to battery-testing firm Cadex Electronics, a fully charged lithium-ion battery will lose about 20 percent of its capacity after a year of typical storage.

How often should I charge lithium-ion battery?

1. Don't leave it fully charged. Similarly, lithium-ion batteries don't need to be charged all the way to 100%. In fact, they'd prefer not to be—so the 40%-80% rule you heard is a good guideline. ...
  2. Fully discharge it once a month. This may seem contradictory, but hear us out. ...
  3. Keep it cool. Most people overlook this one.
This is from google I don't use them. I have had good luck with a plain jane battery

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
My take on this is there is no definite solution. We have all heard storied of batteries lasting a few years and some lasting 2x what their expected. If you , like Paul, found other uses for one or just feel safer having a back up then get one. Battery technology is constantly changing so do your research and keep up the maintenance.
https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/not-all-lithium-ion-batteries-are-created-equal#:~:text=Not all lithium-ion cells,more optimal for different applications.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
My take on this is there is no definite solution. We have all heard storied of batteries lasting a few years and some lasting 2x what their expected. If you , like Paul, found other uses for one or just feel safer having a back up then get one. Battery technology is constantly changing so do your research and keep up the maintenance.
Its one of those things i hope ill never need, but.....

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I’m using both bikes soon for a trip to the Smokies (my brother is coming out from Colorado to ride the other ST). Am I overthinking a dead battery situation and do they make an SAE connector for charging the battery with a jump starter? I’d rather not spend the money if it’s unlikely I’ll ever use the charger, but I guess I worry about the age of the 2000‘s battery. Thanks!
These jump starters use an EC-5 connector. You can buy these connectors. You can also buy heavy duty SAE pigtails rated at 10 amps. Connect an EC-5 connector to the 10 amp SAE pigtail and now you can plug anything you want in to the jump starter including connecting it to the SAE connector on your motorcycle.
Since you do a lot of camping, it can be handy even if you never use it to jump start your motorcycle. Besides using it to charge your electronics at night, or while on the road, by setting up a connector (see above) you can use it for whatever you want. I have used mine for running an 12V air compressor when I had a flat, a 12V air mattress inflator, etc.. It can be handy.

Just a note:
I saw a news report about the possibility of the lithium battery inside these jump starters catching fire when left inside a closed vehicle in the blazing sun when the temperatures inside the vehicle become extreme. I have no idea what temperature is required to create a danger, or how much of a risk it is, but the warning was to not leave these inside a hot vehicle.
I suspect that this is not an issue on a motorcycle. Motorcycles do not have all of the windows that let the sun in but do not let the heat out causing progressively increasing temperatures like what happens to the inside of a car with closed windows.
I carry one on my ST and have not had a problem.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
+1 However I've needed on twice for my car. It was home so I wasn't stranded on the road but the jumpstarter worked as advertise. Took care of business and jumped on the freeway for awhile.

My car doesn't get daily use so every so often I put it on a 5A charger 'till I see the green of the light. My bike sleeps on a Tender but I have a smaller jumpstarter for it. What is it all the old guys say — cheap insurance.

Top Bottom