Advice On Comm Systems

I'd like to setup a simple intrabike-only intercom. I'd just like to be able to talk with my rear seat from time to time.

What's the best option? Do they make something wireless that can be attached to the helmet?

Any and all advice appreciated.

vintagemxr

Old Fahrt
Bike
V-Strom 1000
STOC #
MeiSTer said:
I'd like to setup a simple intrabike-only intercom. I'd just like to be able to talk with my rear seat from time to time.

What's the best option? Do they make something wireless that can be attached to the helmet?

Any and all advice appreciated.
My wife and I use an IMC MT-15. Works pretty well for day rides.

These look interesting too. Used a similar system waaaay back in the early '70s. Worked surprizingly well.

Someone's supposed to be working on a wireless set up but I have not seen one actually for sale yet. Seems like a natural for Bluetooth application.

OP
OP
Doug,

Thank's much for the reply. The Backchat looks interesting.
Based on your advice I'll probably give the IMC unit a try.

I am also surprised nobody has implemented the bluetooth solution yet.

MeiSTer

Louie Louie

MeiSTer said:
Doug,
Thank's much for the reply. The Backchat looks interesting.
Based on your advice I'll probably give the IMC unit a try.
I am also surprised nobody has implemented the bluetooth solution yet.
MeiSTer
Several dudes have the MIT and they swear by it. In fact some say its just like a Baehr!

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
Louie Louie said:
Several dudes have the MIT and they swear by it. In fact some say its just like a Baehr!
I'm one of those guys. Installed the IMC MIT-100 last month. For $200, you get four helmet headsets and inputs for bike-to-bike radio, MP3, and phone or GPS. It also includes a VOX intercom. The sound quality is superb. I'm very satisfied with the whole setup.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
+1 on the MIT-100. I like it better then the MIT-15 as it is powered by bike power and you do not have to recharge the battery for the unit.

STumpy

R.I.P. - 2013/05/05
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Ken said:
I'm one of those guys. Installed the IMC MIT-100 last month. For $200, you get four helmet headsets and inputs for bike-to-bike radio, MP3, and phone or GPS. It also includes a VOX intercom. The sound quality is superb. I'm very satisfied with the whole setup.

Sink and I just installed the MIT-100 on our bikes. There is a problem with mine. The tranmit system is not working. Everything else works great. I purchased mine from Sierra, and they said just return it and they will either fix or replace it, with a promised 2 day turnaround!

As for the GPS, the MIT-100 does not handle Garmin. We called Sierra and they confirmed that GPS audio will not work. Phone and IPOD works great.

If anyone knows of an adapter or means to get the Garmin GPS audio to work on the MIT-100, please let me know. Thanks

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
STumpy,

Curt uses the Mixit and runs everything (GPS, XM, ect.) into it and then plugs the input line from the MIT into the mixit. I plan on getting a GPS next year and will go with an ampli rider. It works the same as the mixit, but runs off bike power and has a volume remote to put on the bars. I know an other rider with an autocom that used the ampli rider and it works fine.

STumpy

R.I.P. - 2013/05/05
Rest In Peace
STOC #
snowmoer said:
STumpy,

Curt uses the Mixit and runs everything (GPS, XM, ect.) into it and then plugs the input line from the MIT into the mixit. I plan on getting a GPS next year and will go with an ampli rider. It works the same as the mixit, but runs off bike power and has a volume remote to put on the bars. I know an other rider with an autocom that used the ampli rider and it works fine.
Who sells MIXIT ?

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I'm getting so confused...so many options, so many opinions. I keep leaning toward the Autocom, then see posts about the Mixit2, MIT-100, etc. that make me question spending on the money on the AC. Then, I see more posts with people having little glitches or problems with the non-Autocom options.

Here's a question that's probably going to fire up a bunch of posts...other than price, can anyone tell me a reason not to go with the Autocom? Has anyone had problems with the Autocom?

If it helps, my intent is to have a system that will allow for:

- driver to passenger intercom
- iPod
- Garmin Quest 2
- Valentine One
- Skyfi XM radio

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
MLRickards said:
I'm getting so confused...so many options, so many opinions. I keep leaning toward the Autocom, then see posts about the Mixit2, MIT-100, etc. that make me question spending on the money on the AC. Then, I see more posts with people having little glitches or problems with the non-Autocom options.

Here's a question that's probably going to fire up a bunch of posts...other than price, can anyone tell me a reason not to go with the Autocom? Has anyone had problems with the Autocom?

If it helps, my intent is to have a system that will allow for:

- driver to passenger intercom
- iPod
- Garmin Quest 2
- Valentine One
- Skyfi XM radio
Mark,

Just the price. I will have about $275.00 in the MIT-100 for the MIT and the(soon) ampli rider. I can do everything you have listed above but not sure on the Valentine. If it has a 1/8 plug, it will plug into the amplirider. I do not have the Garmin on yet, but it will plug into the amplirider. When I looked at the Autocom, It would have been over $700.00 to do the same thing. The Mixit2 is just an amp. The amplirider is the same thing, just a another kind. Some use the amplirider with the Autocom.

The Autocom is a great unit, and you can do A LOT with it, Most here have it and love it. You just pay for each part you want. I just did not have the money to spend on the Autocom and the MIT did everything I wanted for the money I had to spend. I have not had any problems with my unit and I am very happy with it. With the money I saved, I was able to get in on the Sargent buy!

Last edited:
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I took the plunge...went with the Autocom. Given the fairly wide range of pricing I saw in various threads, I thought I'd post what I paid and what I got in case it will help others. I made the purchase at BMW/Triumph of North Dallas, using our stowners.com discount.

Autocom Super Pro AVi - Kit 300 Duo
- Super Pro AVi main control unit
- 2 complete headsets (type B)
- 1 background noise sensor
- 2 rider/passenger extension leads
- 1 standard phone lead
- 1 standard music lead

Normal sales price - $429.99
Paid - $386.99

I also picked up a custom phone lead for my Motorola RAZR, listed for $39.95 and I got it for $35.95.

I know that this is more expensive than the MixIT2 and some of the other options, but it's a whole lot less than the $700 prices I saw in some of the threads. I haven't gone back to see what might be missing from this configuration, but it sure seems like it's got everything I'll need.

Now I just need to find the time to install it. I'm finding that my job is really starting to get in the way of my farkle time.

Top Bottom