Advice on compatible tire pressure gauges and tire pumps for ST1300?

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2007 ST1300. I was able to check the tire pressure on the front tire using a standard 45 degree angled tire pressure gauge and pump it with a standard bicycle pump. However, on the rear tire there is minimal clearance and therefore I believe I will have to use a tire pressure gauge with a 90 degree head; I was able to inflate the rear tire using a standard 90 degree tire inflator valve on my compressor. Any suggestions on compatible tire pressure gauges for ST1300's and any recommendations on compatible and manual pumps (i.e. bicycle pumps). Thanks!

However, on the rear tire there is minimal clearance and therefore I believe I will have to use a tire pressure gauge with a 90 degree head;

I use a tire pressure gauge with a 45° head on it - with no issues ... same with the fill head.

Will edit this soon with photos ... tick tick tick ....

EDIT: i had my doubts too, when i got my first ST (and newest and works on the Gold Wing), but once you look at it, it's more than doable : )

20200910_233700-01.jpeg

20200910_233612-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Go with the T shaped valve stem. Once on, they will last for years and years (unlike rubber valve stems) and you are all set up for a TPMS should you want one later. Hawkshead sells the T stems with or without a complete TPMS system.

Tire balancing is the same regardless of what v stem you use.

Here's another option for angled valve stems... https://www.st-owners.com/forums/th...-stems-black-red-blue-gold-and-silver.117842/

Also, consider installing a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system).
All of the above. I don't know if SloBoy is still TCB but those stems are the way to go. Very light and less susceptible to rotation all forces than other angle stems.

I like the idea of a TPMS (and I use the FOBO). If you're sure you'll never get one or it'll be some time before you do then you can pass on the T-valves. But if you think a TPMS is in your future the T-valves are the way to go.

The TPMS means a far more convenient way to check pressures and the T-valves mean more convenience in topping off air.

Do what you have to do until your tires wear out and then get the valve stems that paulcb linked to above.
This too.

I use a tire pressure gauge with a 45° head on it - with no issues ... same with the fill head.

Will edit this soon with photos ... tick tick tick ....

EDIT: i had my doubts too, when i got my first ST (and newest and works on the Gold Wing), but once you look at it, it's more than doable : )

Yep, me too. Been using 45-degree gauges and fill heads since Noah came off the ark. No problems at all if... y'know... your eyes are open. :biggrin:

I wish the T stems weren’t so ugly. I have TPMS but can’t bring myself to install those on a nice alloy wheel. 83 degree aluminum stems by Ariete/SLO Boy/ others are what I use on all my bikes.

I wish the T stems weren’t so ugly. I have TPMS but can’t bring myself to install those on a nice alloy wheel. 83 degree aluminum stems by Ariete/SLO Boy/ others are what I use on all my bikes.
Yeah, I don't use t-stems either. I'm a renegade and don't use the lock nut on my TPMS sensor, so it's just as easy to take off as the valve cap when I need air, thus no need for the t-stem. I've been running for ~100k miles without the lock nut with zero issues. I just got tired of fooling with it.

Yeah, I don't use t-stems either. I'm a renegade and don't use the lock nut on my TPMS sensor, so it's just as easy to take off as the valve cap when I need air, thus no need for the t-stem. I've been running for ~100k miles without the lock nut with zero issues. I just got tired of fooling with it.
I never used the lock nuts.

How do yo
Yeah, I don't use t-stems either. I'm a renegade and don't use the lock nut on my TPMS sensor, so it's just as easy to take off as the valve cap when I need air, thus no need for the t-stem.
How do you monitor the pressure while filling? How do you know when to stop adding air?

How do you monitor the pressure while filling? How do you know when to stop adding air?
?? :confused:

Just put air in, check it with my air gauge and let air out until I hit my number, 42 psi. Then screw the sensor on... always reads what my gauge says.

Or is your question in jest?

I recently added the FOBO to my ST. I already had T valves installed. I use a Jaco digital pressure gauge which I find to be accurate to add air. I have 90* metal stems on my Goldwing which require removing the TPMS sensors to add air. but I will be changing to the T valves when I change tires.

Hey @bstig60, when you get a chance, would you please post some photos of your T-valve stem/TPMS install on your 1300? When I last adjusted pressure on my rear tire I was concerned about the tight clearance between the rim and hub and if a T-valve stem with TPMS would fit. @caldercay 's photo at beginning of this thread would suggest it wouldn't be an issue for most combinations of those components, but I'd appreciate seeing a real install in the wild. I'm just that kinda guy. :)

Back
Top Bottom