Advice on transforming 2017 ST1300 police bike from 1-up to 2-up

Bike
ST1300 PAH
Hello to fellow ST owners
I purchased my ST1100 new back in 1991, and have loved every minute of it.
Over the Winter I received permission from my better half to purchase a new bike. I purchased a new-old stock 2017 ST1300 PAH, Police bike. Unfortunately, I'm in the doghouse with my better half as it came through as a singel rider bike. I've tried searching through way too many YouTube videos that show multiple ways to transform the ST1300 from one up to two up riders. Many show the process done on earlier versions of the ST1300, and have called for as little as cutting/grinding away at the subframe to accomidate dual rider mounting points, while others suggest replacing the enite subframe to the 2 up version. Does anyone know of specific instructions with a parts list and possible video/images for performing this task on my 2017 model, which I've been told is based on the 2012 ST1300? I did try reaching out to Honda's US technical support department, but they would neither confirm or deny the similarity, and their only comment was that they would not recommend any modification to my new in warranty bike. Thanks in advance for any leads.
Adam

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 PAH
Hi @Adam and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your new bike led you unexpectedly to the doghouse.
Unfortunate, but I’m still grinning ear to ear when I get out on the new toy. Really need to solve this issue, and I’m finding that OEM Honda parts for it like the rear foot pegs are out of stock or back ordered until whenever.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I’m finding that OEM Honda parts for it like the rear foot pegs are out of stock or back ordered until whenever.
ebay, or post a wanted ad on this website in the For Sale Forum. You might also try mc recycle yards. Here are a couple.

Greentown Motorcycle Salvage, 2365 State Street, Uniontown, OH 44685
330 499-9768

Pinwall Cycle Parts, 635 3rd Street NW, Massillon, OH 44647
330 879-9910

ebay, or post a wanted ad on this website in the For Sale Forum. You might also try mc recycle yards. Here are a couple.

Greentown Motorcycle Salvage, 2365 State Street, Uniontown, OH 44685
330 499-9768

Pinwall Cycle Parts, 635 3rd Street NW, Massillon, OH 44647
330 879-9910
Try "Bikesstrippers.com" they are in Melbourne Fla and they sell on eBay.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Having done this my self not to long ago... looks like the easiest is to go to Corbin seats and look at their canyon selection. When you choose your model the ST1300p is a separate header. They give the simplest instructions to convert. It involves the lever, cable, and catch. You of course have to buy a one piece seat for this to work. The pegs are the easy part.
( I went the “hard” way and changed the tail section to a 2012 civilian)

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
Many show the process done on earlier versions of the ST1300, and have called for as little as cutting/grinding away at the subframe to accomidate dual rider mounting points, while others suggest replacing the enite subframe to the 2 up version.
Hi Adam welcome to the happiest place on earth where you have stumbled across a plethora of 1300 mechanics. Having just done a 1-to-2 seater conversion on a 2009 PA, I can attest that YES, you must swap the subframe. I do not encourage any type of cutting on the subframe. I know it goes against the article, but it's not worth the insurance claim. Swapping the subframe is easy, it's only held on by six bolts. The problem is the entire backend it attached to the frame. I did it in two hour your time may vary. So here's the trick: Find a wrecked bike. Prefer the front end damage ones, kinda avoid side damage ones. When you're done with it put it for sale on Facebook and stand back. Reattach everything and enjoy your 'semi' new motorcycle!
If you get in trouble make a new thread and one of us will jump in to help steer you in the right direction. And there are a TON of articles to help guide you along.

Just whatever you do, DON'T FOIL THE BIKE!!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Don't foil the bike means don't try to cut down on heat by installing aluminized insulating blankets (covered with foil) around the engine. It doesn't work, makes any maintenance more difficult, and can cause damage (electrical, trap heat, etc).

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Any parts left? I pick up my 2016 ST1300PA on April 30th from Heartland Honda in Springdale Arkansas
I don't know anything about the police models, except what I've seen here from @aniwack and a couple others, BUT... to my knowledge, all of the STs only have (1) rear subframe and (1) pair of passenger pegs per bike. :biggrin:

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
I don't know anything about the police models, except what I've seen here from @aniwack and a couple others, BUT... to my knowledge, all of the STs only have (1) rear subframe and (1) pair of passenger pegs per bike. :biggrin:
The PA subframe is different from the civilian models. Remember kids any cuts to the frame could total the vehicle!

Top Bottom