Africa twin vs ST1300

Bike
St1300 cb1300 SP1
Hello all and thanks again for all the advice from my previous post.
Now ive got my ST1300 riding as it should im going for a day out with a couple of mates.
Both of them are raving about how good there new generation Africa Twins are compared to the trusty ST1300.
Am i in for a shock when we go off riding or is this just new bike bullsh*t?

Bike
2002 ST1300A
Africa is a great bike, no doubt. But it is like comparing a d**k with a finger (we have this saying down here, pardon for that).

OP
OP
Bike
St1300 cb1300 SP1
LOL that is great .
I was just getting a bit concerned then that my st was going to get left behind but thinking straight now we are NOT going offroad we are just road riding and thats exactly why ST,s have intergalactic miles on them.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'm sure the AT is a good bike, but I doubt it is the effortless mile muncher with luggage that the 1300 is...

I also ride a fancy 2017 Yamaha MT-10SP with electronics, monster power, epic brakes. It is terrific fun in reasonably small doses, but whenever the horizon beckons, the ST gets warmed up.

I often ride with a good friend with a new Aprilia Tuono V4. I don't get left behind, and he has often remarked how quick the ST jumps out of corners.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Both of them [friends] are raving about how good there new generation Africa Twins are compared to the trusty ST1300.
Horses for courses, I think.

Both motorcycles are fine machines, but they were designed for different purposes and have very little in common other than that they both have two wheels and a Honda badge. Which means that the question you need to ask yourself is "Which of these two has the characteristics that best suit the kind of riding I want to do?"

Michael

Bike
2013 ST1300A
I came from an Africa Twin DCT to the ST. The ST is the quicker bike - both on acceleration (slightly better) and top speed (a lot better), more comfortable (by a lot) and far better handling on road. The Africa Twin is a bit more economical and a really good off-road bike, but lags far behind the ST as a purely tarmac-only machine. As someone who spent their hard-earned cash on one I would now say that if you are only ever going to do on-road riding, there are many many better bikes than the Africa Twin on the market and you are wasting your money.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
PXL_20220822_015852012.jpgI added the African Twin Honda Badge to my ST does that make it an African Queen?
Now THAT is a snazz paint job!

...and FWIW, the ST will not be left behind by very many bigger or smaller bikes unless there is a big difference in rider skill and courage.

All things being equal, you will do just fine riding with your Africa Twin buddies - unless you get into some dirt (in which case, my advice is DON'T follow). Just sit and watch until they get bogged down and have to haul a 505 lb motorcycle out of a sand-patch.

Pete

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
With some practice the 1300 can be ridden briskly through twistys but it's no match for the AT. But then it wasn't designed to be as has been pointed out. Now when the road opens up the ATs could be specs in your rearview. Obviously you want to acclimate yourself to the bikes limits before getting carried away. And don't let your AT friends lure you off the pavement. That would be a mistake.

nothing against anyone else riding, but I have never quite understood the appeal of dirt.
Same here. I understand how learning in the dirt can make for a better street rider but feel no appeal for off-road/dirt riding. Noraly gives me my fix for off-road.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
...but I have never quite understood the appeal of dirt.
No problem, Pete.
For myself, I have always, and still do all I can to become a better rider, a more skilled rider.
All my riding life, I have looked for the smoothest, most competent riders of everyone I ride with, and without exception (that I can recall) they have all grown up in the dirt. To that end, after strictly street riding for 34 years, I took to dualsporting. I still miss that Blackbird, heavy sigh...
Much the same as we watched Noraly go through every moto-discipline available to her when she was back in Holland. Because she was bored, or had too much money? Probably not.
As I tell my riding students though, you don't have to be like me.
Ain't it great!

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
As an Africa Twin owner and former ST owner, you are really comparing two different kinds of bikes. When I got my AT the ST just sat - I like being able to travel and not be limited to tarmac only routes. I like to explore and my son rides a Triumph Tiger so we ride and camp together. A properly setup AT with a good seat and windshield like the MadStad can be a great tourer. Probably not as much as a freeway mile muncher as an ST but really good. I rode my AT to WesSTOC this week and traversed the Sierra's over Monitor, Carson Ebbets and Sonora passes and rode right at about 1250 miles. I can say that the AT is a better machine for the mountain passes and twisty tight roads than the ST. The DCT is fantastic for this kind of riding as well. I can say without a doubt riding in the mountains and tight roads is far easier and more relaxing on the AT than the ST. I also can ride at high speed on the freeway and am comfortable for 8-10 hour days in the saddle. I'm 65 years old and I have no issue riding long distance on the AT. You do have to be a little more careful as the seat height is greater on the AT so depending on how tall you are this might be a consideration. The AT is just fun to ride and the lighter weight makes it feel lighter in the tight twisty stuff. I averaged right at 48 mpg all week with both mountain and freeway riding.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I remember thinking on my first DS ride, up a slippery, rocky stream bed ..."I never would have known riding could be THIS much fun, at FIFTEEN MPH!"
But it was still riding a motorcycle, and it was challenging, and I was hooked.
Just another late bloomer...

Top Bottom