After replacing fluid brakes are not stopping

Bike
'04 ST1300
I tackled the job of replacing the brake and clutch fluid this weekend.

I took off the tupperware on both sides and cleaned the bike use an engine degreaser and power washer. I used compressed air to dry the bike and let it sit over night.

The next day I did the fluid replacement following Mark's article and using the manual using the Mity-Vac bleeder. The process seemed to go rather straight forward. I did have to assist the bleeder a little by applying the hand and foot brake. However when I went to test the brakes they don't stop the bike!! I have a firm hand and foot but there isn't any stopping power. I'm able to engage the rear brake fully and still get the bike to move from a full stop. I checked to make sure all the bleeders were tight and looked for any leaks. I wasn't able to see anything.

I came back to the bike this morning and went through the process of bleeding from the beginning having my wife help with a manual bleed. There seemed to be some resistance with the last step on the rear outer bleeder. Again the hand and foot feel firm. I did a test run, I have the same results where the brakes just aren't grabbing.

Any suggestions?

Bike
2010 ST1300
STOC #
You have air in the system, providing you used the right type of BF it shouldn't be anything else. I personally hate Mity Vac's or any assist equipment when bleeding. I use a long clear tube and siphon the fluid to get it flowing then bleed regular from there and it only takes a few minutes. And, yes BF taste's bad but I haven't died from it yet.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yup... there's still some air in there... remember if you're using the hand or foot pump - I only had to use the foot brake when getting fluid out of one of the rear calipers - to press down and hold while opening up the bleeder then close the bleeder and let off the foot brake... if you let off too soon, before closing the bleeder, you'll get some air in.

OP
OP
Bike
'04 ST1300
I'll bleed them again .... Using the Mity-Vac should the fluid fill the drain tube like it does when using either the hand or foot pump?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'll bleed them again .... Using the Mity-Vac should the fluid fill the drain tube like it does when using either the hand or foot pump?
When I do it, it depends, many times I'll get bubbles because it's pulling air from the bleeder itself, it's not a bad thing as the vacuum is pulling it out and not putting the air into the system.

RCS

When I complete my brake flush I pump the lever and pedal several times before I take a test ride. I need to pull the front brake lever about three to five times before it works correctly.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I have a firm hand and foot but there isn't any stopping power. I'm able to engage the rear brake fully and still get the bike to move from a full stop. I checked to make sure all the bleeders were tight and looked for any leaks. I wasn't able to see anything
What do you mean by " a firm hand and foot"? Do you mean the lever and pedal feel firm, with no sponginess? Or do you mean you're squeezing the lever and pedal firmly?

If the former, I don't think air is the problem. Air in the brakes will make the lever or pedal feel spongy and soft.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
If your getting a solid feel at the peddle ,maybe you got some degreaser or other cleaner on the pads, when power washing ! Just a thought !

MIKE

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I would do a manual bleed again the old fashion way with a tube and hand power... I think it was mentioned, but when I pull the brake lever in to force out fluid, I never pull it all the way. I start the level travel, open the bleed valve, and before getting to max travel close the bleed valve while fluid is comming out... then restart. it may take a little longer to do but your not getting any air in if the fluids comming out.

If you did contaminate the pads, you may have to sand them a bit or replace.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Could be some contamination of the pads either with the powerwash gunk or brake fluid.
If the pedal handle/feel firm and they just aren't biting I'd suspect that.

imop power washers and bikes don't mix. power washer and tupperware off really don't mix.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
imop power washers and bikes don't mix. power washer and tupperware off really don't mix.
+1 This (and those hand wand commercial car washes) is a good way to get corroded electrical contacts and grease-free bearings. The high pressure will force water into all kinds of places it's not supposed to go.

Top Bottom