Aftermarket exhaust options?

Hello, just recently bought an '04 st1300 a few weeks ago, been riding it but the stock exhaust is so quiet. Looked online for some aftermarket ones and the only option was the Delkevic one, for a whopping $500.

Don't really want to drop half a grand on an exhaust so does anyone have any better alternatives? Tried looking for anything used, but no luck either. Does anyone know what other exhausts are compatible with this bike? Or just any cheap mods/hacks to get it a little more louder.

Thanks

Hello, just recently bought an '04 st1300 a few weeks ago, been riding it but the stock exhaust is so quiet. Looked online for some aftermarket ones and the only option was the Delkevic one, for a whopping $500.

Don't really want to drop half a grand on an exhaust so does anyone have any better alternatives? Tried looking for anything used, but no luck either. Does anyone know what other exhausts are compatible with this bike? Or just any cheap mods/hacks to get it a little more louder.

Thanks
Wait something will pop up for sale! I like my Two Brothers! When I went with the Two Brothers the bike would back fire . Back fires less with High Test fuel but still back fires. Pluged the Pair system still back fires. Four years ago I paid $400.00

I can't help.
I like the stock exhaust, if I wanted loud I'd buy a track bike or a Harley.
But it's easier to just turn up the volume on my headset.
Never mind. Back to aftermarket pipes.

When installing pipes or mufflers with less back pressure, the finish of the combustion process moves down pipe to a more relieved position, the only way to get rid of the popping is to redesign the camshaft profile, modify the program. Even then probably won't work. In other words it is going to pop.
The exhaust flow and intake overlap are designed to allow the exhaust low pressure front to draw in more fuel air mixture to get more mixture into the combustion chamber which gets inert gases out and allow a bit of unburnt fuel to cross into header pipes. which is why headers work well in high performance engines. It isn't always the bigger pipe that gives more power. I have found with fuel injection it many of the times louder pipe can disrupt the drivability of the motor. But it is louder.
I am with Sadlsor, I don't want you to hear me coming and don't really want you to hear me leave. Although when I crank it up the intake and exhaust sounds on the ST are just fine.
I do have a ZRX with muzzy pipes and it sounds awesome when I wind it up, and it pops when I let it off even with dyno tuning for fuel/air mixture, but it is carbed and tuned easily. But only added a couple of horses to the peak curve.

Watching the For Sale section regularly is a good move. Various aftermarket mufflers have changed hands. It's generally first shout first served so you usually have to be pretty quick.

Not at all helpful — I like quiet pipes in general. Of the several aftermarket exhausts I had for my 750-4 the only one that stuck around was a poorly made Paul Dunstall set of pipes and mufflers. The real problem was the chrome work on the mufflers. They peeled like crazy. But for awhile they were great looking mufflers. Exhaust timbre and aesthetics meant more to me that volume. The Dunstall mufflers and the Conti mufflers on my Duc looked great - sounded great. And they were really loud until pretty high RPM so sound management was easy.

I wonder how many people get aftermarket mufflers for there 1100/1300s and sell them after realizing they aren't happy with the increased noise level. I'm thinking that when you might see a set up for sale. Or when someone is selling a bike and removing farkles to sell separately.

I found a set of Two Brothers and installed them. They sound amazing, but are VERY loud. I leave for work early in the morning and I was waking up my family (and likely the neighbors) while warming up the bike. I've taken them off since and went back to the stock ones. Something to keep in mind if youre an early commuter.

I have Two Bros and yes it is louder.
I have had the carbon fiber ones and now have the titanium shells. Carbon shells will weather and the fibres start to show and they sun fade.

But Two Bros sells what they call power tips that mute the sound and still let them breathe better. After installing the tips, I think the sound is just about perfect. Quiet when idling and putting around, but will make a nice growl when you pour the coal to it.

Plus you loose about 20 lbs and gain a couple hp.

jmtcw
T

I wonder how many people get aftermarket mufflers for there 1100/1300s and sell them after realizing they aren't happy with the increased noise level. I'm thinking that when you might see a set up for sale. Or when someone is selling a bike and removing farkles to sell separately.

The 2012 I bought a couple of months ago - the previous owner installed Delkevic SL10 14" Stainless Steel Round Muffler that he purchased in December for $515. I am not particularly fond of them at this point, but they are tolerable since I always were ear plugs. Fortunately he also had the original exhaust. (I guess the main benefit, in my opinion, is that other motorists can hear you coming).

The ST's are designed an built to go long distances, and quickly so. Honda knows that the two most fatiguing factors for riders are noise and vibration. So the oem exhaust system is purposely quiet,,, and the bikes are incredibly smooth for their age. That said,,, I have had 18" oval Del's c/w extra long baffles on my St13,,, and oem cat/cans on my sT13. Neither is loud. Neither has easily detectable afterburn (ie: very minimal popping). The '04 St13 is significantly modified,,, and benefits from the Del's increased breathing capacity. The 2012 is about to get a pair of 18" carbon Two Bro's c/w their quietest exhaust tips. So it will be interesting to see if I can accommodate the sound level,, as I don't like stupid loud bikes. I am looking forward to the esthetic's and weight loss. Here's hoping that the lean afterburn is not increased much. I will let you know,,, as I am not putting up with a lot of popping. I should have the Two-bro's on in 2-3 weeks. Cheers,, CAt'

Thanks
Do you want to swap exhaust? I have perfect Delkevic pipes. Are your stock pipes very nice? I prefer a quiet motorcycle. The Delkevic's are not loud, but certainly louder than stock. I'm at zip code 83709.

Top Bottom