Air inlet tubes - do I need them?

Moving air has less pressure,fact. Air enters the airbox at the front above the radiator. A moving bike increases the velocity of the intake air. Therefore the air pressure will be variable. The 'velocity stacks' as they correctly called reduce the turbulance of the air coming into the airbox and each is situated so that each cylinder draws on the same amount of air at the same pressure.

Actually the " snorkels " in the airbox work nearly as velocity stacks as they conform the air into a flow that is used as a predictable flow for fuel / air mixture. Having that kind of prediction helps define the camshaft over lap, injection timing and more. Compression ratio is also affected since the highest ratio is used for better performance, for instance to high causes detonation, too low and the performance diminishes. With the constrictions of the space it behooves them not to leave horsepower on the table.
Igofar is stating what I believe to be as close to the truth as you and I matter, inside the program is a table that translates the injection time and length to tailor each cylinder to its greatest benefit. The FI system in the ST is fairly primitive compared to the latest systems and I have not researched that out as I no longer have access to the readers that I used before. In all honesty that information is not really useful to a mechanic or owner anyway, it is more interesting trivia than anything else.
That is why computer tuning is done
A. On a Dyno
B. by someone who is experienced in tuning ( who are far harder to find than you think after reading reviews in magazines)
C. Knowing what goal your after, Drag racing, top speed, road racing, mileage or anything in between

Actually the " snorkels " in the airbox work nearly as velocity stacks as they conform the air into a flow that is used as a predictable flow for fuel / air mixture. Having that kind of prediction helps define the camshaft over lap, injection timing and more. Compression ratio is also affected since the highest ratio is used for better performance, for instance to high causes detonation, too low and the performance diminishes. With the constrictions of the space it behooves them not to leave horsepower on the table.
Igofar is stating what I believe to be as close to the truth as you and I matter, inside the program is a table that translates the injection time and length to tailor each cylinder to its greatest benefit. The FI system in the ST is fairly primitive compared to the latest systems and I have not researched that out as I no longer have access to the readers that I used before. In all honesty that information is not really useful to a mechanic or owner anyway, it is more interesting trivia than anything else.
That is why computer tuning is done
A. On a Dyno
B. by someone who is experienced in tuning ( who are far harder to find than you think after reading reviews in magazines)
C. Knowing what goal your after, Drag racing, top speed, road racing, mileage or anything in between
I like it. someone who has some knowledge of ignition compression dynamics.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here’s some good ones.
I could barely make it through the first video. It sounds like it was made in a Nigerian prince's call center/mail room.

What is the purpose of that video? The actual purpose not the purported purpose.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I could barely make it through the first video. It sounds like it was made in a Nigerian prince's call center/mail room.

What is the purpose of that video? The actual purpose not the purported purpose.
Purpose is to add to Igofar’s point that YouTube videos are not authority on technical information and one should be extremely choosey on which one to believe (many posters reference YouTube). In end, one must 1st pick actual results you want, then select proper well-known and verified path to get there.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Purpose is to add to Igofar’s point
That was Igofar's purpose for showing that video. I'm asking what was the purpose of the video as in why did dude make it. I haven't heard from any reliable tech source that modifying the SIM in that manner somehow allows you to make free calls blah blah blah. So when dude made that video was he trying to game a viewer somehow?

Or is that a "one weird trick" that does work. Dude knew whether it did or didn't. I'm thinking something along the lines of that's what somebody gets when they send in $5 to "learn how to make free phone call and unlimited messaging... blah blah" He said it a couple of times and it sounded like patter.

Or maybe it works. Asking for a friend. :rofl1:

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Lots of stoopid videos on YouTube. I suspect those were to make people destroy their phone’s SIM. From date of video, that may have costed people $50. Similar crap out there for bike mods, except you can destroy engine if you follow “how to free up 50bhp!” videos.

Top Bottom