Pants Airbag pants

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Anyone ever see these before? Think airbag vest or jacket, but in pants.

Supposed to help save broken hips etc.

Think they are a good add on to an airbag vest or just foolish?

1705427230407.png

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Can't say I'm surprised, but they're not for me.
If I have to be in a cocoon to ride, then I just won't.
Vests? OK.
Leatt? I can see that.
To each his own, I won't judge. But there's a point at which we all decide the risks we'll take.
I'm not disparaging Obo for reporting the observation, so don't y'all think I am.

Bike
2014 ST1300
I was actually on their list to buy a pair when they first launched but I wasn’t convinced that I would use them as opposed to the pants I have given lack of waterproofing. But if they’d save a busted femur they’re likely worth it.

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Well, based on personal prior experience, that denim will last about 30 seconds when subjected to the old asphalt grinder ... ;)
They come in non-jean styles too.

"CX's Cordura overpants inflate down to the ankles, and feature comfy, shock-absorbent armor"

1705432672823.png

Bike
2010 ST1300
Well, based on personal prior experience, that denim will last about 30 seconds when subjected to the old asphalt grinder
It is my guess that the cushioning takes place when you first hit the ground, and if you plan to slide 150' (like a friend of mine) then yes, you will be more or less BAN* when you stop. I think the question at hand is airbag pants or not, not necessarily their construction since you can buy the CX brand unless you are going to a fancy ball.

Forget if they save you a broken femur...we are mostly getting older and a broken hip is no joke. In fact, if they save any broken bones they are worth it. The question really is how many riders are going to pop another half thou for them. Since racers are wearing full body airbags, it is probably only a question of time before more of us daily riders adopt them. For me, I'm trying to find a pair of heavy mc pants that are waterproof and fit. No airbag pants for me in the near future.

Dickens said "never say never".

*bare a$$ed nekked

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So broken femur and belt sanded.
No broken femur and belt sanded.
No broken femur and not belt sanded?

Given the penchant for conflating probability with possibility that some have I wonder if the second option is even worth considering. There's also what most here do – weigh the odds of what could happen to what might happen and play the odds to their situation.

Hyperbole – sure. It's a choice that everyone has to make for themselves because not everyone draws the line in the same place. Me and the boys say No to hammer pants — then and now.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
if you plan to slide 150' (like a friend of mine) then yes, you will be more or less BAN* when you stop.
Don't reckon many folks with a working 'noodle' plan on sliding 150 feet. ;)
Your bones might be saved so they get a good 'grinding' ... :biggrin:

As I told a rider in East Tennessee who was wearing a t-shirt, flip flops and cut offs when he told me 'I ain't planning on having no accident' -
"Bubba, I don't reckon I've ever run across anybody that was!"

My point is jeans are not a very good 'alternative' except maybe for those with kevlar in the knees and butt.
I was always impressed by the founder of Draggin' Jeans who had them drag him down the road on his butt wearing his product to test it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Don't reckon many folks with a working 'noodle' plan on sliding 150 feet... ;)
I agree with you. There are a lot of products out there that are poorly designed or just plain junk. Seeing a flaw this glaring in a piece of safety equipment should make most buyers run to the competitors. I think most of the guys here have demonstrated a healthy skepticism of gear and do their due diligence.

Now, please explain to me why so many folks of all ages ride motorcycles wearing t-shirts, shorts, and yes, flip flops. I bet few bugs plan on hitting the windshield....

Top Bottom